Vacation

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
JoG's post got me thinking about our upcoming trip to Mexico.

I know how everyone says they wish they could go on vacation.
The thing is, traveling is so hard for me. I know boo-hoo. But those of us with a Mood-Disorder, do not travel well.

It messes up my schedule, my sleep my whole being. It makes me anxious, triggers me something fierce. I have had panic attacks in the past when traveling and bad insomnia.

So I have to have anti-anxieties on hand.
Then there are my kids. Almost every time we travel either N or K has an issues. N has had a few times when she does not sleep.

K has had many times when she becomes manic.
In the past when we travel with the in-laws they have messed things so bad, having itineraries... having to do this or that. K just can not handle it.

So the thought of travel for people with Mood-Disorders is so intense. I am trying to make this time calm, I am setting things up before hand.
We have traveled a lot. We know all of the tricks.
But things can go wrong, no matter how much you prepare.

K is not doing well on top of of all of this.
The only reason we are going is because of my Dad, his illness, his moving from this home...

Because we will not have to leave the house at all. We will be on the water in a big house no expectations. FOR ONCE!
So if any vacation could go right I think this could finally be it. My Dad is really trying to make it go right also.

The only thing that might go wrong is that thing called my Alcoholic Brother showing up halfway though.
But I'm even ready to deal with this.
We are pretty much stuck at my Dad's house, he lives no where near any thing.
But the place is big, ocean, pool, space.

I am truly grateful to get away. But I was just laughing at every one saying they would love to get away.
Because I am sitting here cringing. Worried about my kids, myself. Luckily the time change is only and hour.
I would gladly take any of you, I would love the support and a friend!
We leave this Saturday. YIKES
Actually for me going somewhere by myself is a bit easier. Still hard but less worry.

B

bran155

Okay, so yes I am JEALOUS!!! I want to go!!! But I can totally understand how this is overwhelming for you. Keeping my finger's crossed that all goes well and that you have an AWESOME time!!!

I will keep your dad in my prayers.

(((HUGS))) :)

totoro

You know, all I have ever wanted was to just go on a vacation and feel normal.
Especially with the kids. You know how you see these families going for hours doing everything and having fun!?!?!?

We have never had that. I really do appreciate getting to go anywhere. But it is so hard on all of us.
It is a manic freak show! Kind of funny actually.

Abbey

Spork Queen
I hate to say it, but my easy child daughter has such a HUGE fear of flying that she is heavily sedated 30 minutes before any flight. I have to make the flight team aware of her condition, but she goes into such a panic mode that it would scare other people. But, it is what works for her. In the end she comes out ok.

Enjoy your trip and do whatever it takes to make it happen. Can I fit in your suitcase?

Abbey

gcvmom

Here we go again!
You know, all I have ever wanted was to just go on a vacation and feel normal.

I hate to say this but I'm laughing out loud because we have never had an entire vacation where "normal" existed the entire time. We got slices of normal here and there on a few trips, but the bulk of it is spent dealing with "issues".

I think the only "normal" vacation I'll ever have is the one I go on by myself!

Come to think of it, the best vacations I've ever been on, hands down, was when I was single and travelling on my own. Hmmmm.... maybe it's time for another one of those trips!

totoro

That is why I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to go and meet up with the CD gals!!!
You would all accept me for me!
Xanax and all!

And yes I would love to have you all in my suitcase or meet me there! Please.

OK my Avatar is starting to give me the creeps!

W

Wonderful Family

Sounds like a great trip. I hope you and your family have a great time.

We assume a minimum of 2+ days for difficult child to adjust; unless we are going someplace he is familiar with and/or is quiet.

Unless . . . we are going to visit family. Even if difficult child has never been there before, he's not nearly as bad. Go figure.

totoro

Star*
Load up that boat, go around and pick up Board Members! Show up on Saturday afternoon.
My Dad is Mister come one come all, now.
Second mid life crisis.

Oh, by the way, No phone, no computer for a week!
I am really excited!
He really lives way out there, no mail. I have a bag of just his stuff that they can't get there.

Star*

call 911........call 911
SS SANITY SAVER, Captained by "Jack" leaving Saturday AM.......

ALL ABOARD>.......................

gosh what is that in Espanole?

oh yeah

IN DEE BOATS.......(oh I am bad)