Warning for your kids!

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by nvts, Jun 26, 2009.

1. nvts

nvts Active Member

Hi! I picked up this lovely "nugget" of information on another forum. Keep an eye out!

There is a new website called Omegle.com. Be very watchful if your kids are using it. It sounds like a child predator's dream. This is how they describe their service: Source: omegle.comOmegle is a brand-new service for meeting new friends. When you use Omegle, we pick another user at random and let you have a one-on-one chat with each other. Chats are completely anonymous, although there is nothing to stop you from revealing personal details if you would like.

MODS: Should we put this on General as well?

2. ML

ML Guest

Thanks Beth! Manster is getting more and more into the computer world and with his passive and easy to influence nature I have to be extra careful. Hugs, ML
  3. AnnieO

AnnieO Shooting from the Hip

Omegle huh. OK - I am sure difficult child 1 will find this. I'll add it to our server's blocked list!
  4. hearts and roses

hearts and roses Mind Reader

$*(&)*(^&(%&^$ - Are you kidding me?! I am SO glad my girls are over 18 finally. Although, I still worry about difficult child and things like this!

Thanks for sharing that. I am going to pass it along.
  5. Lothlorien

Lothlorien Active Member Staff Member

Yes, you can put this on general.
  6. susiestar

susiestar Roll With It

I cannot imagine something I would like the kids to find less than I want them to find this!

What a HORRIBLE concept for a company. I am sure the teens and the pedophiles will love it!

Thanks for the head's up!
  7. eekysign

eekysign New Member

I always wonder about such things.

We used to have "ICQ" (pre-AIM) back in my high school hey-day. One of the most fun things from those days of the wild 'n' wooly internet was turning off the private feature, so that anyone could see you online.

I know it sounds awful, but we used to get the sleaziest guys from the middle east and southeast asia hitting on us - and we'd all get together at someone's house and mess with them. It was entertaining and ridiculous. I always wondered what kids were meeting strangers online and telling them personal details. We just mocked the creepers, then went back to invisible.

Actually taught me a good deal about how scary the world is - creepy guys live everywhere (especially the UAE and Malaysia, apparently). Probably not the best idea, but man, was it fun.