Welcome to Stillfighting!

JJJ

I saw that you posted on the bottom of an old thread and I wanted to make sure your question didn't get lost:

I am new to these forums, however I have been struggling with a small school and Special Education and 504 for the past 3 yrs. Last year I even hired an attorney, paid my son's therapist to come down and still was rejected the ARD. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My child is 7 and recently diagnosis with AS. We have had ADHD, Conduct Disorder, ODD, and emotional anxiety since he was 3. We attend Rehab, therapy and medicate on our part, but the school just won't budge. The Special Education teacher actually showed up at my job today with a pamplet for MHMR services and told me to contact them. Her words were, "they can help you more than the school Co-Op can"! I asked about the request for evaluation. (we had one done on our own) and she said, "No, we will just see how he floats this year." Help Please!!

Sheila

1st rule of dealing with uncoorporative school districts: Put requests in writing and send them certified mail.

The actions of the Sp Ed teacher tells me she knows there's a problem.

It's unfortunate, but everything to do with Special Education (from evaluating to educating) is expensive and budgets are very tight. It doesn't relieve the sd's responsibility of following state and federal sp ed law however.

Is your attorney well versed and experienced in Special Education law?

S

stillfighting

The attorney we used is a Family Law attorney. She has dealt with some school issues, but it is not her specialty.