What are you reading??

goldenguru

I have a break from my classes (I'm a late bloomer - going to school a little later in life :teacher:)

Anyway - I am ready to pitch the text books and pick up some pleasure reading. I'm looking for suggestions.

So what have you read lately that was really, really good?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

LynnG61

I am a huge Patricia Cromwell Fan, and just finished Book of the Dead. However I can read anything I can get my hands on, as I love to read and my difficult child says when he thinks of me, it is always holding a book!

What is it you enjoy reading?

goldenguru

Like yourself - I read just about everything. If I HAD to pick one favorite genre', it would probably be historical fiction.

Although I have just finished reading "Fast Food Nation" (Schlosser) and found it MOST fascinating. 'Course, I won't be eating McDonald's anytime soon, which is sad because I love Quarter Pounders.

Cromwell is forensic/mystery yes?? I have never read anything of hers, but have read the jackets.

LynnG61

She is CSI well before CSI hit TV lol. Not all of her writing is that, but the ones about 'kay scarpetta" are. And very good reading, my problem is I don't read a book I devour them and then end up with nothing Occupational Therapist (OT) read in two days!

Recently finished "Mayflower :censored2:" A Stranger among the Pilgrims by David Lindsay, it was a good read.

You might also enjoy "the Emancipator's Wife" by Barbara Hambly. An interesting thought/perspective of Mary Todd LIncoln.

If fantasy, Terry Brooks or Samual Donaldson are good options.
Anne Rice is interesting, I prefered her "witch" series over the vampire one however.

Just a few ideas. And like you, No McDonalds for me either!

meowbunny

I'm a multiple book reader. The one in my bathroom (yeah, I know, gross) is Robin Cook's new one. The one on my bed is Michael Crichton's Next. The one in my purse is James Patterson's Cross (almost done) and John Grisham's The Innocent Man.

I've tried Cromwell. Sorry, can't stand her writing style. As you can tell, I'm not much of the historical fiction type, so not a light of help in that genre. My favorite authors are Jonathan Kellerman (find Faye boring), Jeffrey Deaver, James Patterson. I also love sci fi but haven't found anything lately to hold my interest.

Of the books I'm reading right now, I think you might enjoy The Innocent Man. It is non-fiction and the story of how a town framed a man, sent him to prison and his ultimate release. It is truly a good read.

Anything by James Clavell. (Sho-Gun, Tai-Pan, Whirlwind, Noble House.)

I like Patricia Cromwell, too.

The Power of Now.

Eat, Pray, Love stayed with me long, long after I read it. Highly recommend that one.

There is another writer whose name begins with "C". I can't think of it now, but he wrote "Marco Polo", "Circus", and Aztec ~ all of which were excellent historical fiction, replete with characters I still haven't forgotten.

Charles Williams is my favorite writer.

Most of his things are out of print. He was a compatriot of Tolkein and C.J. Lewis.

Perhaps your library would carry his work?

What are you majoring in, GG?

I think it's wonderful that you have decided to go back to school.

:smile:

Barbara

DammitJanet

I love both the Kellermans...Jonathan and Faye. Did you know they have a son named Jesse who is also a writer? I havent read any of his work but want to.

I also love James Patterson with both his Alex Cross novels and his Womens Murder Club books.

Cromwell is another favorite.

As you can tell I adore crime novels. I cant remember my other favorite authors. Lots of times I just read the jackets and if they sound good I buy them.

PonyGirl

Warrior Parent
Another Kellerman fan here, not Faye so much but really like Jonathan. Love the Alex Delaware character! I did read Jesse's book - not sure if he has more than one yet. Loved it!!

I love all things mystery/detective/series. I get into the characters and love when the author dedicates multiple books to exploring and expanding that.

Dick Francis, Lillian Jackson Braun, Rita Mae Brown, Harlan Coben, Sue Grafton, Robert Parker, Diane Mott Davidson, James Lee Burke....

Hey, what's with all the 3-named authors??!! Don't think I actually realized that until I'm typing this list! Funny.

Peace

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I just finished "The Thirteenth Tale" by Diane Setterfield. It was a great book, very hard to put down. Suspenseful and interesting. Excellent book.

I am now reading a book by Nicholas Sparks called "At First Sight" which is a continuation of one of his other books. I like The Notebook and a couple of others, but I find his books a little too soupy and mushy, sappy. Otherwise they are quick reads and light reading, which I needed after completing The Thirteenth Tale.

muttmeister

I just looked at my reading diary a couple of days ago and I see that I've read 121 book so far this year. I like mysteries: I've been going back and rereading a lot of Agatha Christie. Just finished the last one by Rita Mae Brown and Squeaky Pie Brown. Also, Ive been reading The Cat Who... books by Lilan Jackson Braun. Last night I finished The Hunt for Red October. I'd read all of the other Tom Clancy books but somehow I missed that one. His earlier ones were better than the last couple. I've been reading a lot of David Baldacci.. will finish The Collectors tonight and then I will only have his new one that I haven't read. He wrote a neat Christmas book if you're into that sort of thing: The Christmas Train. Also, I've been reading some Faulkner and Dickens and last week I went back and reread Don Quixote. Tony Hillerman has a relatively new one out: The Shape Shifter and I want to order the latest Hamish MacBeth mystery by M.C. Beaton. And if you're past 40 and want to laugh out loud for awhile, try I Feel Bad about My Neck by Nora Ephron. It's wonderful!

Penta

Since you like historical fiction, try Cane River by Lalita Tademy. It is a wonderful family saga about strong determined women. Look up the reviews on Amamzon. This book was truly one of my favorites.

Also, Isabel Allende's novels are wonderful. Another historical fiction is Feast of All Saints by Anne Rice, not a vampire book. Excellent!

Right now, I just finished Year of the Dog, Shelby Hearon, a novel about a young woman who trains a companion dog.

Enjoy your semester break!

Mystery/police procedurals: check out Peter Robinson, has a series about a British detective, Alan Gates. In a Dry Season is one of his best. Set in Yorkshire.

Historical fiction: Patrick O'Brian is hands down the best for my money. Anything in the Aubrey/Maturin series of 20 novels. This is naval fiction, written in "period voice" and with a lot of nautical terminology (correctly used, I might add). Don't let that put you off though. The style achieves a total immersion effect such that re-entering our world is a shock. The language, mannerisms, and culture of Regency England are drawn perfectly. O'Brian has an extremely dry wit that often makes you feel like you are in on a private joke. The second book, Post Captain, takes place mostly on dry land, if you want to avoid getting into the shipboard stuff. It will get you hooked and you'll soon be reading the other 19.

babybear

For historical fiction I loved Diana Gabaldons outlander series.

I also liked Dean Koontz Odd Thomas books. Different, but fun!

witzend

I have picked up Sue Grafton's "T is for Trespass", and will get to it once my life settles a bit and I am more able to concentrate.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Just a suggestion...I think it would be REALLY nice to have a permanent post where people could add to this list. I love to read (actually have to monitor myself as I get nothing done during a good book). :hypnosis:

Abbey

'Chelle

I'm a big Dean Koontz fan as well. Just finished reading Brother Odd, the Odd Thomas books are good ones. Right now I'm reading Michael Crichton's Next. I like his books as well. They make you think about what's really happening in the world behind science, the media, and big business etc. wanting to make money from it.

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
Well, I am also a multiple book reader.

I am reading Princesses - The six daughters of George III by Flora Fraser

Also a book called The Widow of the South by Robert Hicks.

I have quite a variety of authors I like. Catherine Coulter is a favorite that does both fbi mystery and some historical romance fiction. Perri O'Shaughnessy is one that does legal thriller fiction this is actually two sisters that write together one lives in CA and the other in Hawaii. I also read Robin Cook, Patricia Cornwell, David Baldacci, Nelson DeMille, James Patterson, Nora Roberts, Scott Turow, Danielle Steel, Kathy Reichs, VC Andrews, Jeffrey Archer, John Jakes, Sandra Brown, Jane Feather, John Grisham, Johanna Lindsey, Amanda Quick, and many others.
I love the biographies by Carolly Erickson also.

I am so into books. I own close to 2500 and am always adding more. If they have words I pretty much like them.

Hope you find something you like.

Beth

trinityroyal

Right now, I'm reading through the Brother Cadfael mysteries by Ellis Peters, interspersed with the Roderick Alleyn mysteries by Ngaio Marsh.

Some of my all time favourites:
The War of Don Emanuel's Nether Parts, Senor Vivo and the Coca Lord, and The Troublesome Offspring of Cardinal Guzman, all by Louis de Bernieres. He also wrote Captain Corelli's Mandolin, and Birds Without Wings (which I am about to start).

Anything by P.G. Wodehouse. He has such a delightful way with words. I've had to stop reading his books when I'm on the train, because I sit there and laugh out loud, and people think I'm insane. And, a lot of his books are available as free downloads for handheld computers. (Not a big fan of reading on a tiny little screen, but if I catch myself without a book it's there as a backup emergency one)

I recently read Eaters of the Dead (I think it was by Michael Crichton). The movie The 13th Warrior was based on that book.

I am a big fan of Jonathan Kellerman's Alex Delaware character too.

And, strangely, I have been re-reading all of my old Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew books from childhood. What a hoot. I'm glad I still have several of the old ones, as they have all been rewritten for modern times and they're just not the same anymore.

And at Christmas time, I always look for the new Debbie Macomber books about Christmas Angels. Terribly sappy and soupy, but I love them anyway.

Um hmm.

Feast of All Saints was great.

About castrati, right?

How about Umberto Eco?

Or Holy Blood, Holy Grail, if you have already read The Davinci Code and his others. (One of them was actually better than the DaVinci Code.)

Dan Brown was the author there.

Has anyone read "Hymn of the Universe" by Teilhard de Chardin?

Amazing.

Or Hero of a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell?

Not light reading, but incredible reading. :smile:

Barbara