What are you reading??

Wiped Out

Staff member
These are the books we are reading for our book club this year. I've read the first three so far.

Book: Between Georgia-
Author: Jackson, Joshilyn
This one was really good.

Book: Snow Flower and the Secret Fan
Author: See, Lisa
This one was also great.

Book: Three Cups of Tea
Author: Mortenson, Greg and Relin, David OliverAn excellent non fiction story about this guy who builds schools for girls in Pakistan and Afghanistan

The rest I haven't read yet because they are for the upcoming months.
Book: The Space Between Us
Author: Umrigar, Thrity

Book: Water for Elephants
Author: Gruen, Sara

Book: The Zookeeper’s Wife
Author: Ackerman, Diane

Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Author: Hosseini, Khaled
I've heard this one is excellent!-it's by the guy who wrote Kiterunner.

Book: The Double Bind
Author: Bohjalian, Chris

jannie

trying to survive....
I just read A Thousand Splendid Suns...It was excellent.

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Piccolt..excellent

DDD

What?????????? They rewrote Nancy Drew???????? OMG...that's like rewriting the Bible, for heavens sake! DDD

F

flutterbee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: babybear</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For historical fiction I loved Diana Gabaldons outlander series.</div></div>

I was going to recommend this, too.

witzend

Trinity, your list could be my list! Have you read the Martha Grimes Inspector Richard Jury series? If you liked PG Wodehouse and Brother Cadfael you'd love those.

I got turned on to Wodehouse when Hugh Laurie (yes that Hugh Laurie!) played Bertie Wooster on Masterpiece Theater. Now I have all of the discs of the shows. I just laugh out loud! I also have listened to the books on tape on my i-pod. What a turn of phrase!

I also have been reading the Ngaio Marsh books, along with Josephine Tey, and Margery Allingham. Lately I have been reading the MC Beaton books. Not to mention the Janet Evanovich books. There's a new short Stephanie Plum book due out in January called Plum Lucky. Can't wait!

KFld

I just finished reading a book called the Glass Castle. I can't remember who wrote it as I already passed it on, but it was an excellent book. It's actually a true story of a very bizarre family raised by two totally difficult child parents. I think many of you would enjoy it.

Right now I just started a book called Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See. I am in a book club and I'm reading many things I never would have chosen, but really enjoying! This book I'm reading now is about the life of a chinese girl and seems to be based on the tradition of feet binding. It's actually very interesting, though I just started it today. I'll have to let you know if it stays interesting :smile:

goldenguru

Wow. Thanks for all of the great suggestions.

"So many good books. So little time". *sigh* Isn't that just the plain old truth?

Thanks again ladies.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Starb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.miguelruiz.com/

The Four Agreements - I picked it up in hopes that I could use the techniques to rid me of some of this doom and gloom.
VERY interesting. </div></div>

Excellent suggestion! I've read all his books and each one has it's own insights. They are so easy to read and understand. My brain doesn't hurt when I read his books.

Penta

Being a readaholic is tough! I am like a kid in a candy store at the library when I find a stack of good books to bring home. I usually have 2 or 3 going at the same time. Sometimes I read until I ma bleary eyed at night because I can't let the story go. The characters become real to me...so much more so than TV. I love books!

Here, in my city, we have a huge book festival at the state capitol every fall with well known authors reading from their works and holding seminars. It's all free and just wonderful.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.........I was almost finished with a nice long reply, then my computer burped and I lost it all.

Ok so....Non-fiction: I don't really read that much but there have been a few lately that caught my eye.

Jedwin Smith - Our (MY?) Brother's Keeper (was bawling by the end)

Sidney Poitier - his autobiography

Marley and Me (laughed hysterically through most of it and sniffled and snotted at the end)

Non-fiction: Some of these will be repeat of previous suggestions but that just means that they are good! LOL

Sue Grafton, Patricia Cornwell (although I didn't like The Book of The Dead as much as I have her previous ones.), James Patterson (again, the Alex Cross books and the Women's Murder Club), Diane Mott Davidson (good read but worth it just for the recipes!), Linda Barnes, JD Robb, Dana Stabenow, Sarah Graves (Home Repair is Murder series), Carolyn Haines (Mississippi Delta series.....great Southern insults included!), the Cat Who books, Jeffry Deaver (Lincoln Rhyme books....the movie The Bone Collector was one of his books), Jeff Lindsay (Dexter books...show on Showtime based on them).

I'm also on kind of a paranormal kick and have been reading some (mostly) vampire books. These are not the Anne Rice types...some are funny and some, while not Anne Rice dark, are a bit more serious. (most of them also have romance in them) The funnier/lighter ones are by MaryJanice Davidson (who also has a few other series out, some paranormal, some not. Of the Not ones, her Alaskan Royal series is very, Very funny), Michele Bardsley. Charlaine Harris's vamp series is a bit darker but still has funny moments. (Charlaine also has two other series out that aren't paranormal)

JR Ward has an awesome vamp series out, The Black Dagger Brotherhood. The first one is Dark Lover and if you like the books, they are extremely addictive.

I've also heard that Tony Dungee's book Quiet Strength is good although I haven't read it yet. Bought it for my dad but haven't read it.

Check with your library too. Mine put together a little booklet that helps find "new" authors. (If you like this author, try these type of thing.)

Happy reading! :reading:

I just finished "SuperCapitalism" by William Reich. It was quite an eyeopening book - basically his thesis is that democracy is now serving capitalism rather than capitalism serving democracy. I couldn't agree more and I thoroughly enjoyed reading the book. I just wish that there were more answers for the problem. "Wonderful tonight: George Harrison, Eric Clapton, and Me" is on my bedside table - great "fluff" reading. (Although easy child said, "what's that, a book about groupies?" :smile:

I'm waiting on my reserves for "Nine: Inside the Secret World of the Supreme Court" and "Musiophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain" by Oliver Sacks from the library. They should be in any day now...

I'm absolutely hooked on reading - it's one of the great joys of my life!

I love P.G.Wodehouse too, Witz!

I am smiling over here just thinking about Jeeves and Bertie!

How about Peter de Vries Reuben, Reuben?

That was one of the funniest books I ever read.

Barbara