What would make this computer task easier?

ctmom05

I snagged a laptop computer at work to get thru a project of updating a contact list.

This may be an elementary question - the laptop functions at work, I can access what I need to.

I brought it home and it does not seem to be configured properly for use at home. What's missing??

Am I missing some kind of wireless configuration with my DSL at home, maybe?

Any thoughts on this?

tinamarie1

We bought easy child a used lap top last year. I think some brand new ones that have come out have routers built into them already. However most used or older ones do not have that. You have to have a router on each end is my understanding, or that is what we had to do atleast. I had to buy a router for our home computer to send the signal ($80, ugh) and then an "airport card" for easy child's laptop to recieve the signal...another $50.

nvts

Also, if you're trying to access your office network, there's probably a firewall that you would have to get past in order to access it.

Most co.'s have either a special dial-in protocol that would allow you access.

Do you have any connections (no pun intended) to the IT Department at the office? I'd give them a call as it may be something simple as a unique dial-in number with a Secure ID set up.

Good luck!

Beth

Lothlorien

Are you trying to access files or the actual internet? If you are trying to access files and now can't at home, the files may be stored somewhere else at work. You may have to copy the files onto a disc or flash drive and put them on the laptop that way.

If you are trying to access internet, I can't help you there. I haven't entered into the wireless world yet.

trinityroyal

Chris,

As others have suggested, if you're trying to connect to a network at your office, you will likely need some sort of secure access.

If you can speak to tech support at work, find out what sort of RAS (Remote Access Server) they have. It might be a VPN (Virtual Private Network) or some other protocol. Whatever it is, you would need the software to access the VPN tunnel or other RAS connection, and a passcode to connect to it.

Once you're connected, then you should be able to get access to your office network, the same way you would if you were physically at the office.

Before you can do any of the RAS/VPN stuff, you need to have an active internet connection. If you can provide further information about what's going on, I can pick husband's brain for you and come up with something.

Good luck!

Trinity

ctmom05

"You guys" are so smart; that's why I hang out here :)

Thanks for the input. The good thing is that I do not need to access things that might not be available outside the network atmosphere.

The laptop being used to update contacts, which can be done by importing/exporting from one computer to another - so that part is easy weasy. I had the need to make the project portable, so that I can do it at work and at home.

It sounds as tho the router maybe be something that bears further looking at; whether I understand how to hook this stuff up is another matter.