Who should I take her to see?

tiredmommy

Duckie's right shoulder has been bothering her on and off since last winter: it's stiff, sore, and now "clicks" and "pops". I suspect it is from her backpack. I think it should be looked at since it hasn't resolved but should I take her to the family doctor or my chiropractor? Which do you think would be better? Also, she does have loose joints so she may end up needing PT to strengthen the muscles in the area.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
You could start with an ortho and have it x-rayed and get a referral to PT. See how that works. With school coming to a close it may heal better since she won't be wearing the backpack for a while. I am firm believer in chiro care. When my girls had shoulder and upper back issues due to the backpack, they saw a chiro first. BUT they didn't have the clicking and popping stuff - that's why I recommend an ortho. She may have torn something in there that should be looked at. Poor little Duckie, despite her Tony-worthy sucesses, she's had a difficult time with her health these past few months. How are her allergies right now?

Last edited:

tiredmommy

Hmm... an ortho. I'll need to ask around for a recommendation. She's been up & down allergy-wise. Thanks for asking.

graceupongrace

TM,

I'd say an ortho who specializes in the shoulder/arm area. (Some do shoulders/arms/hands; some do knees; some do necks, etc.) Hope Duckie gets some relief.

tiredmommy

Thanks everyone. A local friend recommended an ortho that has seen her daughter for hand/arm issues and we've made an appointment for June 20th. It's probably not a big deal but I don't want it to get worse either.

Lothlorien

Pediatric orthopedic surgeon is best.

I doubt it's Marfan' syndrome. That is usually caught fairly early because of the child's growth. Loose joints are common in young girls and is treated with physical therapy. Girls grow faster at a younger age, so their joints are looser until their growth plates come together. If the looseness continues after puberty, surgery is an option to tighten the ligaments. My doctor has done this surgery, but only in extreme cases.

You might be right about it being her back pack. You might want to get her a rolling one for next year. If you have access to a pool, swimming is probably the best therapy for her.