Would anyone be interested in meeting at a hotel like we once did

InsaneCdn

I think one of the challenges is going to be geographical. At one point, there were a lot of members in fairly concentrated geographical areas - like, within 2-3 hours of a central spot. This makes it possible to get together.

I'm probably 1000 miles from anybody else on this board. Too far to drive and too expensive to fly - and can't take that long away from my challenging kids anyway.

KTMom91

I'm in Central California, so I'm pretty far from central. But if anyone is traveling through and wants to meet up, let me know!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I'm in Milwaukee area, but can make it either a bit W or N in WI, or down to Chicago metro.
Overnight is the best I can do due to having to care for furkids, and I can't afford a "spa weekend".

toughlovin

Id be up for it depending on when and where.... I am willing to travel and have friends and family to visit in various places.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I actually took a dogsled ride several years ago in the UP of MI (quite close to Canada). It was a blast! The dogs I rode behind were racing dogs, as opposed to freighting dogs, so were very fast. To those who thing dogsled racing is cruel, these dogs LOVE what they do.

The one piece of advice I have for any one who is thinking about going dog sledding is to dress for the temperatures you will encounter. Don't forget about wind chill!

InsaneCdn

The one piece of advice I have for any one who is thinking about going dog sledding is to dress for the temperatures you will encounter. Don't forget about wind chill!
And layer, layer, layer. When you are actively mushing, you will end up peeling layers off - and then when you stop for tea, you have to put them all back on again.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Thanks, IC. After living in a Boreal climate for 12 years, I figured lots of layers were a given, especially as you Canucks kept dropping your Jet Stream South a hundred miles or so, and that pulled your holoarctic winter temps and snow right down along with it.

Nomad

Staff member
I actually did that years ago. I met Fran and others. It is like a blur now. It was in Las Vegas. Very nice! I would not be willing to travel at the moment. My difficult child is ever so slightly better. The teen years were nightmarish.