"You Always Take easy child's Side!"

B

Bunny

I am sick to death of hearing that!

The kids were playing in the basement. They were quite, but I could hear then and it sounded like they were playing nicely. Then I hear easy child yelling "ooowwwwwww!!!" and running up the stairs. difficult child is running after him saying, "I'm sorry, easy child! I didn't mean it. It was an accident." easy child runs up to his room. difficult child comes up and I asked him what happened. He said that they were playing and he hit easy child in the nose, but that he didn't mean it. I believe him because I could tell from the sounds of their playing that they were being nice to each other, but they are boys and boys tend to rough house. I tell difficult child to leave easy child be and let him calm down. difficult child goes up to his room and all is quiet.

A few minutes later I hear the kids yelling at each other. I went upstairs and said to difficult child why he was yelling at his brother after I told him to leave him alone and let him calm down. He said that easy child came out of his room and started yelling at him. husband chimes in and says that easy child never came out of his room and that difficult child was not telling the truth.

Of course, that starts the whole "You always take his side and you never believe me and you don't love me!" Ugh.

As a side note, husband asked easy child and easy child did come out of his room. Maybe husband needs to check his facts before he jumps into the fray. I made him tell difficult child that he was sorry.

At least he calmed down and is helping husband put up the Christmas tree.

T

TeDo

I hear ya'. I used to get that all the time. Now for EVERY issue, we all sit down and EVERYONE tells me their version and I keep going until I get the WHOLE story from beginning to end. It sometimes takes forever because they don't usually agree about some detail but I do this BEFORE I say or do anything. It's time-consuming but both get their say and I can't be accused of "playing favorites" or of jumping to conclusions.

DammitJanet

That is one of the problems with more than one kid. Mr "I didnt do it". I swear that man lived in my house for years! It got so bad that I didnt even bother asking what happened when I heard a commotion, I just started sitting them all down and making them all do time outs until SOMEONE came forward and confessed to the transgression. Peer pressure worked well because they all didnt want to be punished. There were times that I overheard them saying things like "I will take the fall for this one but you take it next time...lol" Whatever.

Malika

It does occur to me, though, that in this case your older son's complaint was correct - your husband did automatically take your younger son's side...

crazymama30

I get the you take so and so's side all the time. It is very frustrating. I also get the you love so and so more. Anymore I just try not to buy into it, sometimes I am good at that and sometimes I am not.

B

Bunny

It does occur to me, though, that in this case your older son's complaint was correct - your husband did automatically take your younger son's side...

In this case, he was right. husband jumped to the conclusion that difficult child was wrong, but that does not happen all of the time. I was trying to get husband to pull the cart for a while, if you know what I mean. After he got over it, he was okay for most of the rest of the day.