Website changes?

ksm

Is it just me, or does everyone have a slightly different look to the conductdisorders page? It's harder for me to follow and it seems like the activity has really slowed down. KSM

Overwhelmed1

I agree KSM. I am having a hard time with it. I get no new post listings. I keep enabling notification but nothing changes and I keep getting asked to enable notifications everytime I log on.
I see nothing from people I followed either.

JMom

I actually came to water cooler because it seems to have slowed down. I am hoping it is because everyone is in a good place, but I think it has more to do with the website.

JMom

Right under the FORUMS tab I just accidentally clicked "new posts"....there they are...and there's a lot of them!!!!

Nandina

I visit this site everyday and have been for months even though I don’t always post. The activity has been going down for awhile now, and had already started before the website changes. In fact, recently the activity has picked up from where it was. Many days there would be 0 new postings.

I miss seeing the number of new posts at the top of the page. Now you either go to New Posts or What’s New and you’ll find them. But you have to click on it first just to see if there are any new ones. I notice now that Profile posts are shown. So if you have anything written on your profile page you don’t want public, you’ll need to change your preferences. Also, If you had certain preferences selected in your account, you’ll probably need to re-do them for this new version.

Copabanana

Runaway Bunny is the person to contact about questions and comments about the new format. You can reach her through inbox.

MamaRosie

I'm new to this community, but reading through the posts has been very helpful to me.

This is the format that was here when I stumbled upon this place. It seems easy to use to me. I can relate to not liking techno change though. I HATE it when my phone or laptop os gets updated. It's annoying, but eventually I get used to it.

Nandina

Welcome, Mama Rosie! And thank you for your input. It helps to know how someone who didn’t use it before sees it. I’m sure we can all get used to the “new” site. My only concern is if you had a working, good feature, why take it away?

And by the way...I have expressed my concerns to RB. (Thanks for the info, Copa)

Nandina

Nandina

Mama Rosie, it’s funny how you say you “stumbled” onto this site! I think that's how I got here too. Actually, I can't even remember how I got here, I just know I felt desperate and then somehow I ended up here! Lol. Anyone else have that experience?

I wonder if very many people are being referred to this site by professionals or outside sources. Or do most of them stumble onto it like you and I did?

Copabanana

I stumbled here too. I think I must have googled My son is Homeless. I think that some combination of desperate words is how most of us got here. Or maybe we heard about it from others. But I think it's the former.

I sure hope we can keep this going. I think it's a peerless resource. I don't know how I would have changed and recovered if not for here.

I think SWOT single-handedly kept this site going. She would post all day and night. But when she left we did keep it going.

I know I post way less than before. It seems like people are coming for awhile, they post as long as they need it and they move on. When I came here there were oldtimers who posted consistently to support others, even though their own situations had stabilized. There are few of us who are doing that anymore. I wish that would change. I have gotten a great deal out of contributing. Way more that way than by seeking support.

Last edited:

Nandina

Yes, I hope we can keep it going too, Copa. To me, it’s important and encouraging to hear from those whose situations have stabilized and/or greatly improved. It tells those of us who are in the thick of it that things actually CAN have a positive outcome. Or even a less negative one—sometimes it works out that way. And where the issues with our kids continue to devastate us, there are some real kind and experienced people on this site who have learned to cope with the most trying of situations by learning self-care, making time for themselves a priority, and sharing ways to do that with us. I love hearing people’s ideas!

I wonder if the recent lack of activity has anything to do with the overall mood that social distancing seems to have created. Maybe we’ve insulated ourselves so much from being outwardly social that it’s even extended into this forum. Just a thought...hopefully not true; you’d think it would be the opposite.

Here’s hoping to “see” some of our regulars soon.

Copabanana

Nandina, I had not thought of that, that the drop off has to do with coronavirus. What you say seems counterinutuitive to me. I hink people are more isolated, more vulnerable and needing of support. But I do think I agree with you, in that I think it's related to the times we are in. It's not just a public health crisis we are in; but an economic and social justice, a spiritual crisis and crisis of racial justice, too. Maybe people are cocooning, and minimizing their personal woes. But it would seem to me that things would only get worse in these current crisis situations.

I have had a glass of wine, and I almost never drink, so take this for what it's worth. There are people like RN, who never leaves us. I believe that for her this is rooted in faith and gratitude. I believe she has told us that she prayed to G-d that he heal her son, and I believe her devotion to this forum is part of this. She was here when I came. What I am struggling to say is that there have been many people who have come here in my five years. People have given to them selflessly without expectation. Yet, I don't understand how they can leave without a sense of responsibility to the community.

There will come a time when I will leave. I have been slowing down. I have done my part. I have other interests now, Thankfully.

I feel bad that there are so few people stepping forward to carry this. It may be sparse and not so much fun but if we each of us respond, even to older posts, we will keep the traffic going. And that traffic is what brings new people.

There used to be so many trivial and fun threads. I resisted most of them, but I admit, they were fun. Right now, I would love it if somebody started a few of them. That's all it takes.

I think you're right Nandina. I think we are all of us mildly depressed and panicked. This is a time the likes of which I have never seen or experienced. We need each other.

There is no place like here. I hope we don't lose it.

Last edited:

Nomad

Staff member
Just some thoughts...Over the many years, activity has slowed down fairly significantly. There were a few stay at home moms /grandmoms that were very wise and very active. They had a little extra time and of course that helped. I know this site has been a very big help to me. There were times I felt so deeply frustrated, frightened and even angry by my situation with our daughter. It’s not like you can speak to just anybody about these things. Now, very recently I’ve noticed what seems like a new drop in activity. Yes, I think it might be partially from the virus. I can say I’ve had some odd depressed days. Over eating, and anxiety etc. I was doing much better when things opened up. We went to an outdoor cafe and it was delightful. But then NEW and recent news events got me down. (I’ve curtailed tv news watching !) And various family members are acting weird...not just my Difficult Child..who was manic by the way. The fun posts ...might not be a bad idea. I know I did one or two on tv shows and movies. :)
ps A friend of mine who never drinks had a margarita the other day. Lol. Of course, no big deal at al. But..I thought it was interesting!!!

JMom

Hey Hey All-
I think I finally figured out how this works. It takes a few more clicks but I am starting to navigate the waters. I know this site saved me. I too googled "I bought my kid a tent today, who does that??" and WA-LAH this site appeared from the heavens. Copa, YOU CAN NOT LEAVE US!!! Your work here is not done. OK, sorry-sorry, didn't mean to yell. You are so wise and your input very valuable! I get to go to DAY SHIFT next week!! 2 more midnight shifts and I will be in the land of the living.

Between Corona pandemic and civil unrest, I think a lot of people have withdrawn. As the employees are returning to work, I notice how different everyone is. Seems like everyone is distant mentally and physically. We can keep the site going, I will do my part.
:0)

Overwhelmed1

Hi all. Glad I could finally get my account up and running. Don't know what happened but whew... I can maneuver through the update on my laptop but still having a little problem on my phone. Probably a phone issue more than a site issue :) Off to go view some new posts....

Peace and Love