totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Thanks Janna- I had read up on Geodon and of course it is 50/50 you know? Some patients did/do well, others, well we are seeing that.

I know some kids really do need medications, some don't
I don't know about K? I just know I don't like what AP's are doing for her... Risperdal, Abilify and Geodon all not good in the long run. Not great in the short run!!!

Like Susie said I am concerned about her movements, I want psychiatrist to aknowledge that... He may say "Oh that doesn't happen hardly ever" But you know what, I don't want K to be the one, that the movements do not go away for.

She has just been starting/stopping medications in a flurry for months now, I want to give her a break, even if she is struggling for awhile with her moods. At least I will know that those are honestly still her!!!

I think I am going to try to hang in with just the Lamictal for at least a couple weeks after she Difficult Child's from the others... if her symptoms are not too over the top. Or dangerous.

totoro

BBK- your wand must have done something... she just started cuddling with me and saying "I love my Mommy..." :wink:

Hopefully this is not the calm before the amping up again tonight!!! Yikes.

Janna

Awww, yeah :frown: I'm really sorry, T.

Poor thing, and ya know she can't help it :frown:

Hope you find the answers, soon. Soooooooo hard. I'm really sorry.

ShakespeareMamaX

my difficult child had this problem when he was on concerta...hearing things (whispering in his baby sis's room), seeing his toys move. he was up til 12, back up at 3 (screaming he saw bugs and works on the floor next to my bed), and just stayed up from there. at 6am he actually pointed a mouse toy screaming "mom! look! he's blinking! do you see it? don't you see it?!" I'll tell you...it brought tears to my eyes. i asked him "honey, now, do you think mommy would have bugs and worms on her floor?" he said "no" and i continued to tell him his magic eyes must just be playing tricks on him (we all have our "magic" features: difficult child has magic eyes, i have the magic nose, husband has the magic ears).

he went to school the next day and said he continued to see the toys move at school. i spoke with his teacher and, of course, she said he was very tired at school. i grabbed him, early, and we ran to the pediatrician's office.

i ended up taking him off the concerta and he's been alright ever since...sorta.

my son now refuses to sleep with anything in his room. no toys, clothes (in sight)...anything.

AND...at times, he seems to use the excuse that he's seeing things move in order to stay up or just get more attention (i can usually tell if it's a cry for attention or genuine fear).

some people tell me he does this because so much attention was drawn to that initial incident, but who wouldn't want to do a hardcore investigation on your small child hallucinating?

it's tough and tiring. i feel for you and your daughter. some of the questions people had asked (that you may want to question, yourself) are:

did she have a fever at all?
did she eat anything weird?
have there been any large changes in her life?
has she seen anything scary/disturbing, recently?
and, of course, could it be the medications?

see, my husband is a believer in "he's just doing it for attention". this is the case a lot of the times, but i think one of the scariest parts of it all was that my difficult child's eyes were actually dialated when i thought to check them around 6am. THAT was like WOAH! this kid's def not faking.

when he went to the pediatrician., he had a check up with normal results. the dialation had gone away by then, unfortunately, so she couldn't see for herself. this is still kind of unexplained with the only finger pointing to the concerta.

an odd thought of mine was maybe our house was haunted. at a point, you'll look towards anything for an answer.

i hope you can figure this thing out. this is definitely one of those things that will probably haunt your child for a long time (and you).

i wish you luck. please keep us updated... i'd like to know if there's any other explanation, especially, since our difficult child's aren't even on the same medications, yet, they both experienced the same issue.

<3 <3 <3 try to take a day off, yourself, and get some sleep. i know how exhausted you must be. :bloodshot:

Steely

:frown: Again, sending big hugs to you and K! (And to husband and N, I bet they need them too)

I am SO glad to hear you are d/cing the medications for awhile. I think she needs a break too.

totoro

Well she slept better last night. She is less manic now. I would say Hypo-manic, I feel she was Manic Friday night... whether it was triggered by the drop in Geodon? I don't know, but she had not been decreased when she started freaking for less than 12 hours... she had 60 mg...
We had been watching her amp up all week, she was seeing the fairies on Monday, trying to rip her heart out... saw scooby doos van, he was putting webs all over her head to block out the bad fairies... she was becoming more anxious, wouldn't leave the house. Needed to hurt, jump on people... didn't want the day to end.

I know there are some posts going on about over medicating kids and wrong diagnosis'es... But I have lived with Mania my whole life... not just myself. My kid is good. she does not get in trouble... when she is losing control, she is not this child her eyes change, she pleads for help when it is really bad.
This isn't a tantraum. The years of behavior mods have worked and are working on my children. Everyone who comes in contact with K is blown away by how well behaved she is...

I will never look back and be bitter over the choices I have made for my daughter, because I have taken the time to do them with knowledge and love, I wish the medications were easier for K... I wish the psychiatrist would give us Lithium... is it the answer? I don't know? Will K ever be clear of her demons? I don't know? I am here to help her. I look at a lot of my family members... they could never shake them... I hope that doesn't happen for K.
What medication will work? All I know is that when this child is unmedicated, she wants to die and she hears voices and she rages for hours... that has nothing to do with parenting or behavior mods... that is a storm in this poor kids head...

Thanks you everyone for the constant support... she is still not well today... she is aggitated and hates herself. :frown:

TerryJ2

Oh, poor thing. So sorry.
I don't know what to say about Lithium ... I think it's only good once you go through puberty. Others here will know more.
I'm glad she slept better ... it implies you slept better, too. Take care of yourselves.

Janna

T,

Maybe she needs some type of placement like Dylan is in. I know you did the hospitalization, but maybe she needs more?

And you're right, this has nothing to do with behavior modification or anything of the sort. Your daughter has things going on that really should be seen by professionals on a daily basis, don't you think?

I say this too because your daughter is young. It's got to be hard because of that. Lithium, although a great medication, is a heavy duty drug for a 6 year old. I'm not saying she doesn't need it or shouldn't have it. I'm saying ~ maybe someone else needs to stand up and say she does, too.

Or something...

I dunno what I'm saying. I feel for you, my friend. I know your daughter has so much stuff going on.

Just a thought. I hope you find answers soon.

*hugs*

susiestar

Roll With It
I think all the medications our kids are on are heavy duty.

I think many of our kids NEED heavy duty medications. Clearly not all, and clearly many are getting medications they don't need. But many are also NOT getting medications they DO need.

I hope you have a better week, and that the docs can help.

So sorry, Hugs

Susie

totoro

I read a report on Lithium that it was not a good MS for kids so young... psychiatrist does not want to give up on her family supoort aspect as of yet, he feels because I am a stay at home mom I can do more than the Full tme psychiatric hospital can... he will place her if she gets worse and if we want it.

I just really hate this, I know a lot of you have seen the look, you kid pleading with you the look of pure terror in their eyes, because they can't control their emotions... and all you have to offer is a pill and your love...

Thank you all, I am having a hard time watching K mentally unravel, again.
husband cancelled his trip yet again to go back to work... luckily his partners understand. We really are blessed in so many ways... I feels blessed right now to have this place.

Steely

I completely know the look........and it breaks my heart. Absolutely breaks my heart. There is not a person in the world that could convince me that medications are not OK for a child like this.

No one wants this for their child. However, these kids don't want these demons in their head either. So, just like strep throat, we have to try and give them medication to make the agent of menace subside..

My son was 6, and slamming his head into the wall screaming he wanted to die. What else is a parent to do, other than medicate? I cried for hours a day, when that was going on.........because I was so devastated. But there was nothing else to do other than try the medication merry go-around.......unless I just wanted to watch my son unravel into nothing.

Currently my son is manic........why, because he missed his medications one day when he was at his dad's house. It is very, very hard to watch.........but he knows, just like I know, he will probably never be medication free. His brain does not operate correctly without the balance his medications bring.

I pray for you all to have peace tonight, and a restful night's sleep.

ShakespeareMamaX

I pray for you guys...

I feel for you...

I pray for an understanding...and a solution.

<3 <3 <3

Bless you all...your posts bring tears to my eyes.