A First Attempt

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
This reminds me of when I lived up in the Northwoods and my mother and I would get into "whining about winter weather" contests.

I'd whine about waking up to 2' of snow. My mother would counter by saying that at least I had a carport and didn't have to clean my car. I'd counter by saying nothing, including me, was moving until the plows came. She'd whine about not being able to reach the top of her SUV to clean it off. on and on and ad nauseum.

It was all in good fun, though. It made as much sense for me to guilt trip my mother because the winters were much milder in Chicagoland than they were 60 miles from Lake Superior as it does for your son to try to guilt trip you because you went to a concert and he didn't.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
This reminds me of when I lived up in the Northwoods and my mother and I would get into "whining about winter weather" contests.

I'd whine about waking up to 2' of snow. My mother would counter by saying that at least I had a carport and didn't have to clean my car. I'd counter by saying nothing, including me, was moving until the plows came. She'd whine about not being able to reach the top of her SUV to clean it off. on and on and ad nauseum.

It was all in good fun, though. It made as much sense for me to guilt trip my mother because the winters were much milder in Chicagoland than they were 60 miles from Lake Superior as it does for your son to try to guilt trip you because you went to a concert and he didn't.

Exactly! He has a crappy life but it's his own fault. We have given him every opportunity to change that. I'm so sick of it all like all of us!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
It sounds like the usual inability to take ownership issue.

I had a rough time since my husband died, not just emotionally, but financially. Not really "my fault", but some bad decision making on my part made the the financial hit worse than it had to be, and I'm still getting used to a tighter budget than what I had up until a year ago.

I own my mistakes. The past 14 years was me learning to live on my own for the first time. I've got the hang of it, and now prefer it.

karisma

I was told that many addicts in their 20s still haven't detached from their mother.

Until this is successfully accomplished by them, they can and will remain stuck at their current & stunted emotional level. This is usually many, many years behind.

All I want is for him to be "happy", whatever that word means for him.

Rebelson, I am seeing exponentially more every day what a great disservice I have actually done Difficult Child. And myself.

I truly want Difficult Child to be happy too...or at least in peace. I have always said I would do absolutely anything to achieve that. I really never imagined that the "anything" was going to be basically cutting him off and dealing with all the hateful interactions that would result. Very upsetting stuff.

I recall a time when Difficult Child was younger, 20ish, and I had come to the realization that in any given "crisis" or "situation" with Difficult Child, that things would have actually worked out better had I done the selfish thing, the thing that put my needs or wants first. I think its time to really focus on doing that.

Difficult Child is making it easy.

I saw him very briefly yesterday. He claimed he just wanted to see me, you know spend time with me. Uh huh. Sure. So I go to the platform, we say hi, sit down, talk very briefly. Difficult Child denies reading my email. I believe he didn't read it. But I also know he could have and chose not to (I have written him hundreds of letters over the years that he has refused to read).

That's fine. He is not interested in what I have to say. Okay, well I can't tell him verbally because he will just freak out and leave after all of 2 sentences. He won't read the information I am trying to convey either. Well, I did my part. So, when he said "Can I have some money for food?" I replied "No, I asked if you wanted me to bring some food with me for you and you said no--- refer to the email" ,Difficult Child said something about me shaming him and then some stuff that made no sense. He was ranting, so I called him an a** and he left screaming at me that I am a "raper", as in I rape him. Nice huh?

It really messes up my day, these interactions. I feel very angry and very sad for several hours afterward. So, I will be telling him next time he calls to meet me that it makes me too upset to see him and I do not deserve it-- and refer to the email if he has further questions.

It will be very hard for me to do this, but seeing him has also become very hard.

I believe he has been pushing me away in an effort to make me let go. I have been too dense to notice.

My feelings of being hurt or my feelings of missing him have been being put away into some other place in my psyche all night long so that I can get through what will come next. I can't concern myself with my own maladaptive, immature, emotions over this any longer.

Thank you so much for helping see this

RN0441

Karisma:
You have to read others' posts here regarding all of this. It will help you. You need to let go, you need to detach.

My son has never been verbally abusive to me but I choose not to talk to him much because he is in an IOP program and probably only going along with it because he knows its in his best interest. I can't handle that HE accepts the person that he is so I am keeping my distance. Of course he is 1500 miles away since March so it isn't real hard. He knows that we love him very much and that is probably WHY I can't deal with all of it.

I prayed for him so hard for so long and then I found this site. And then I heard about Florida via this site and the community of addicts and sent him there. I think this was the answer to my prayers. It gave ME some peace and is forcing him to deal with his issues one way or another. But not ruining my life daily.

If he is so mean to you why see him?

I'm doing this NOW while my son is young, in hopes that we won't be doing all this ten years from now. I can guarantee if he doens't make a big change in himself or I see him diligently working toward a change, I will have little to do with him. Sounds cold. Yes I know but I can't do this anymore.

rebelson

I am right there with you, guilty of the same disservice. Who knew? I'm realizing there are huge learning curves in this whole journey.

My son has treated me the same way for much of the past 8 years. Mean, disrespectful, calling me names, holding me to standards that he's never come near, hanging up the phone on me, loves to lay guilt on me, bringing up & dwelling on the wayyyy wayyyy past, I cld go on.

I was told that this verbal abuse from him, has been going on for so long because I have allowed it. I was also told that subconsciously he "wants" me to put a stop to it, meaning don't take it anymore from him. Supposedly, this is because he has difficulty doing this on his own. He is so immature and has a real lack of "mouth" self-control...it's like they are silently begging us to put our foot down, almost forcing them to stop, per se'. I hope that makes sense?

They also likely feel a lack of respect for us because we allow them to treat us so poorly. We need to be positive role model for them, as they lack these helpful life skills. By us letting them disrespect us, it teaches them a negative life message. Whether we realize it or not as mothers of these addicts, they do watch, & learn by our examples. We should not ask them to do something that we are not doing ourselves.

So, earlier this year, when he'd start getting mouthy, I'd calmly tell him "when you can speak to me without rudeness, I will talk to you. I am going to hang up now." And I'd hang up. I noticed a very rapid improvement.
But, on occasion, he still has his moments. No one is perfect.

I think it is lovely that you are writing him letters, emails. Tbh, my son would do the same thing. Not read it. I don't think that they can handle letters from us loving moms at this immature point in their "using" life. I don't think they want to feel the guilt or deal with the emotions they would have to feel when reading a letter or email from us.

Last evening I was exhausted. But I forced myself to go on a run - I love running. It was in the 90s outside, sun still above the horizon. Have you ever run 3.5 miles, up & down hills, in the heat of summer, all while crying, on the verge of sobbing? Try it sometime. Pretty soon I will master this complex feat! But seriously my running music playlist is full of songs that could send a hardened criminal into a cleansing crying episode. I then sat on my front porch swing and cried some more. Apparently, I needed it.

After, when I got back inside, I asked my husband to just hold me for a minute, which is what the Brother (monk) at the monastic retreat this past weekend told me to do. He said: "when you're sad about your son, or obsessing, ask your big Oak tree of a husband to just hold you.." So, I did.

In that moment, I sobbed some more & said to hub: "I miss (son's name)! I miss him during the holidays....he's missing out on (sibling's name) growing up...I don't know if he will ever live a normal life."

It's a sad season of life for us, K. This will be a long haul, I fear. With that said, we deserve our life. We SO so do. We are not getting younger, the opposite is happening. It might be forced for the longest time, but we HAVE to do SOMEthing. ONE thing per day that brings a smile, some peace, contentment, to our day. We have lost ourselves.

No more.

In the meantime, if we can do this for ourselves, a huge side benefit is that it will, could, in someway be helping our sons slowly climb out of the pit that they are stuck in.

In Al-Anon and in literature on addicts, it is said that: "until the mother can completely, 100% detach from their addict he will not achieve sobriety."

This small phrase is a huge motivator for me to get better at detaching. Not saying it's easy. But I feel under pressure right now. I feel like time is passing and I need to get this detachment shtick down, and fast.

Last edited:

RN0441

Last evening I was exhausted. But I forced myself to go on a run - I love running. It was in the 90s outside, sun still above the horizon. Have you ever run 3.5 miles, up & down hills, in the heat of summer, all while crying, on the verge of sobbing? Try it sometime. Pretty soon I will master this complex feat! But seriously my running music playlist is full of songs that could send a hardened criminal into a cleansing crying episode. I then sat on my front porch swing and cried some more. Apparently, I needed it.

You worded this so well that I can actually see it! You have gotten so much stronger in the past few weeks. I am getting stronger too.

Has anyone ever heard the song "Unsteady' by X Ambassadors? Now that song reminds me so much of my son and both my husband and I cry when we hear it in the car. Usually I have to change the channel.

How does a mother "100% detach"? Have absolutely NOTHING to do with them? What if they are in rehab/IOP etc.?

Last edited:

karisma

Rebelson, Wow.

I also love how this is worded. I just broke down crying and am pretty much still at it. Just the visual of you, another mother in the same exact kind of pain as I am, with the early evening sun streaming through your hair, running and running going through this incredibly impossible thing that we go through...amazing.

I have found that I actually have to cry a certain amount of time every day or I feel worse. I need it. Like you said, its cleansing somehow. I am so glad you have a good husband to comfort you. Truly. I have good friends that I thank my lucky stars for every day.

It's a sad season of life for us, K. This will be a long haul, I fear. With that said, we deserve our life

More sobbing....such a long sad season. But we deserve a life in the midst of it. I have warmed to the idea as of late.

RN0441-

I listened to the song on Youtube....more crying, much more. I have never heard it but it is definitely written about a Difficult Child to his mom and dad. The songs that remind me of my son are nearly impossible to listen to. The one I literally can not listen to is "Here Without You" by Three Doors Down. Even though it is written about a romance, I have always known that someday I would be here without him so I assigned a different meaning to it.

Thanks you two. I needed that.

karisma

RN0441 - I forgot to tell you this. Difficult Child and I just started arguing again in the last week. For the last three years he has been so ill, meaning psychotic and tormented, that I stopped saying anything about anything and just tried to be there for him. I really have thought that he wouldn't be alive much longer so I didn't want to return to previous times of fighting when he is so completely out of his mind. I just wanted to offer whatever comfort I could, for whatever time he had left.

But he has been doing "better" lately, which I actually attribute to doing meth again because for some bizarre reason he becomes more lucid, almost "normal" when he does it. I do not understand it. He has been showering even. Bizarre.

But he has also been lucid enough for me to feel like I need to try to convince him to do some things while he is capable of it, and also my new found determination to change something, anything, about this situation.

He is normally nice to me, or so far off in some other world, talking to himself that we may be in each other's presence but not interacting. So that is why.

rebelson

How does a mother "100% detach"? Have absolutely NOTHING to do with them? What if they are in rehab/IOP etc.?
I'm pretty sure what it means is that you support with words and love, but do absolutely nothing nothing nothing for them that they can do for themselves.

No, I don't think it means to have nothing to do with them. That would be extreme, & pretty much an impossibility for most of us moms.

Here are some examples of what I do think it means:

Don't pay tickets for them.
Don't pay housing for them.
Don't give them cash.
Don't buy cars for them.
Don't make appointments for them.
Don't go online and research things for them.
If they verbally abuse you, do not talk to them.
Don't "rescue" them from learning opportunities.

I think you get the message. Of course there are exceptions. If they're fresh out of sober living and need help with the first month rent at a halfway house, I think in that situation, it's fine to help them. There are other exceptions.

One thing that I did back in August after son was kicked out of gram's house, is I paid several nights for him to be in motel. I don't think I would do that again. Meanwhile, he had money from a car accident & he was drinking and smoking weed. I was trying to make it so that he didn't have to dip into his money. That was enabling.

But I learned at family session in May, that it is very easy for us parents to get sucked in & inadvertently "help" a relapse occur in a newly recovered addict. As parents of course we are happy if our addict is in recovery. So it is easy for us to say to ourselves "oh I'm so happy, he's sober...I need to help him stay good & on the right track, therefore it's OK if I just help him out a little bit..." And before you know it you're back into doing things for him that he can do for himself. Of course, it's not purposeful, we're doing this out of love. But, it's the unhealthy, enabling, codependent love that actually sets them back.

This thing is a fine line, it really is.

Thanks, RN, for the encouragement. I don't feel very strong. Let's put it this way. I have periodic moments in my day where I feel strong. But during those feelings of strength, I feel like I'm standing on a tight rope and at any given moment I could fall back.

Example this past week. I haven't heard from my son, I'm angry so I didn't call the PHP to inquire. I was able to feel strong. Then, BAM!

Yesterday, I'm at the library with my kids. My phone rings it is his new therapist at the PHP facility. I posted about this on my thread.

After that phone call my whole day was wrecked. I was a depressed mess. (And I am RARELY depressed. Anxious? Yes. Depressed? No.) Hence the sobbing, gasping-to-get-my-winded-breath run.

I am on my way to an Al-Anon meeting. I went to this particular one several months ago and actually enjoyed it. I will try to seek clarification there, on that 100% detached quote, as that is where I originally heard it.

Last edited:

BusynMember

karisma, I have an out of the box idea for your son.

If this were me, Id talk to a pharmacologist...a psychiatrist who specializes in psychiatric medication. I'd make an hour's appointment and talk with him or her about how your son improves on meth. That could give the doctor an idea of what type of safer medication may HELP him long term. I have no idea if such a medication exists, but there has to be a clue in there.

I have never heard of anyone functioning better on meth thsn off of it. Certainly that has to be a clue as to what may work well for him.

I hope this doesn't sound too lame.

karisma

Hi SWOT,
Excellent idea. He also becomes a real jerk, but it brings him out of his...well, wherever he goes. I will check into that. I have had a therapist mention to me in passing once that bipolar people in general love meth because they feel normal on it. From my experience, bipolar people may feel better on it, but behave like raving lunatics.

Difficult Child also has a histamine release when he is falling asleep like he is allergic to sleep. He sneezes between 5-13 times. Truly bizarre.

Thank you so much for your input.

Childofmine

one day at a time
What a beautiful thread this is. So much honesty and raw feelings. So much trust.

After, when I got back inside, I asked my husband to just hold me for a minute, which is what the Brother (monk) at the monastic retreat this past weekend told me to do. He said: "when you're sad about your son, or obsessing, ask your big Oak tree of a husband to just hold you.." So, I did. In that moment, I sobbed some more & said to hub: "I miss (son's name)! I miss him during the holidays....he's missing out on (sibling's name) growing up...I don't know if he will ever live a normal life."

I love this whole story. What a beautiful and raw and painful story and what a beautiful example of what we can do when we don't know what else to do. I love that you were able to ask for what you needed from your husband. This is what healing looks like.

'm pretty sure what it means is that you support with words and love, but do absolutely nothing nothing nothing for them that they can do for themselves.

No, I don't think it means to have nothing to do with them. That would be extreme, & pretty much an
impossibility for most of us moms.

Yes, exactly. We fall into the trap of all or nothing thinking, the same black and white thinking they do. This is not an all or nothing proposition. This is a case of increments, of stepping back, of figuring out how to be a loving observer, to create more distance and space, to give THEM a chance to figure out life on life's terms. We have to learn how to do this, because we have spent years and years and years stepping in and handling things. We have to learn how to be in their lives and not handle their lives, but handle our own lives instead.

I also love how this is worded. I just broke down crying and am pretty much still at it. Just the visual of you, another mother in the same exact kind of pain as I am, with the early evening sun streaming through your hair, running and running going through this incredibly impossible thing that we go through...amazing.

I have found that I actually have to cry a certain amount of time every day or I feel worse. I need it. Like you said, its cleansing somehow. I am so glad you have a good husband to comfort you. Truly. I have good friends that I thank my lucky stars for every day.

I love that we are all in this together. Can you see us all, walking on the same path, just at different points on the same path, not "better" points on the path, but just where we find ourselves, right now today. And we can help each other if we can share openly without reservation and without judgment, respecting the other person's position on the path. We can't be ahead of where we are. We are right where we are supposed to be.

And we do have to cry...we have to grieve. We have to cycle through the stages of grief and loss over and over again. It is healing for us. The more we try to stave it off, delay it, fight it, the longer it will take for us to recover from the disease of codependency. For that is what we are all afflicted with.

Warm hugs for you incredible people. You are true Warrior Moms and Dads.

karisma

Wow. I am beyond upset. Someone who has been letting my son hang out at her apt recently, called me crying yesterday because she is so worried about my son. I could hear him in the background crying loudly. This woman told me that he has been doing this every waking moment for many days and that she doesn't know what to do.

She refused to kick him out or call cops. She is his other enabler.

And.... I am on way to lake where there will be no cell reception or internet for two days. I can do nothing.

I am beside myself. I can barely contain my tears. I would do anything to get out of this trip. Too late.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Karisma,

It doesn't sound like there's anything you could do to help him, It sounds like what he needs is inpatient care.

Would his "friend" be willing to call '911' for assistance (or the equivalent number for assistance as I'm not sure where you live)

Since is nothing you can do immediately to help, I'd say to go on our trip. Nothing is to be gained by staying home.

If you fear suicide and you know where's he's at, send emergency services to that address, making sure that they know they are dealing with a profoundly mentally ill person.

I'm sorry you are having to deal with this, but go on your trip and do try to get at least a few moments to yourself to relax.

savior no more

Hi Karisma -
You basically just wrote my life in a nutshell. I'm glad you found this site. It truly is the only place that I could find peace and comfort amidst the awfulness of what we face.

savior no more

[
I am ashamed to say that somehow, somewhere along the way I became emotionally dependent on how he feels or acts towards me. He is in many ways all I truly have, which is pitiful because I certainly do not have him. "Helping" him has become my life. My self worth is somehow wrapped up here in some twisted way.

You have an amazing honesty and insight. What I am coming to believe that it is my inability to see my worth as a human that keeps me entangled with trying to be a savior. And in many ways I do it to try to control the uncontrollable.

Megrit

I just wanted to tell everyone here thank you. I never post, but I read and read and read and read. I don't have a difficult child, but I do have a younger brother whose life has affected me in so many of the same ways that your difficult children have; I wish I had learned these things a long long time ago. I am finally learning it's okay to stop "helping" him and live my own life. It has taken me years to see how misguided by efforts have been. The people here have given me hope. My heart breaks for all the parents here. I think about you all quite often and always remember you in my prayers, and your precious children. God Bless you all.

Scent of Cedar *

I have to be brutally honest here about this issue. I am ashamed to say that somehow, somewhere along the way I became emotionally dependent on how he feels or acts towards me. He is in many ways all I truly have, which is pitiful because I certainly do not have him. "Helping" him has become my life. My self worth is somehow wrapped up here in some twisted way.

There is no shame for you karisma, in loving your child. It isn't twisted to love them and expect them to love, and not hate, us. There is no shame for either you or your child in what is happening to him ~ or in what is happening to you, to your life, because of it. None of us set out to create the situation that now exists. Not us, and not our kids. If your son could change what is happening now, he would. That's the thing, here. The kids are ashamed and embarrassed, too.

It's the situation that is bad. Not us. Not our children. There is no villain, here. If we are going to help our kids, we need to stop seeing them, or teaching them to see themselves, as victims.

This is where forgiveness comes in, for ourselves, and for them.

It is what it is.

Compassion, for ourselves and for our children and for the horrible hurt in the paths we walk with them, can come from accepting that: It is what it is. They call that Radical Acceptance. It is very hard to choose Radical Acceptance. We have to start somewhere though, and that is a good beginning. Here on this site, what we learn how to do is help our kids respect themselves enough to cope, on their own, with their illnesses or their differences. For our children, this will be what adulthood looks like.

Gahhh. It's been like a nightmare.

Most parents have never had to know what we know.

There was a time, here on this site, when we named our difficult children Gifts From God. That terminology named for us not only the challenge our children present, but its answer: Love. Whatever this is, whyever it happened, the answer is love. And that includes our loving ourselves. Or we will not be able to help our children. The importance of any diagnosis is that we have a place to begin. So much is being learned now, about the brain and how it works. One day, there may be some way to help our kids. Today, there is nothing but what we can learn about helping them self-manage. What kind of parent must we become to help the kids be strong enough to believe in themselves and to live their best lives. That is the question, here. It doesn't matter how or why this happened. So, we can let go of that, then. What matters is how we respond to what is, now.

The kids are not doing this on purpose. They wanted those lives we envisioned for them, too.

How awful for them, and for us.

Nonetheless, here we are.

We can make a conscious decision to let go of guilt. We can learn how to most successfully help our children and ourselves to be strong enough to live out their best lives despite whatever challenges they face.

Love him where he is, and love yourself karisma, and never be ashamed that you love him; be amazed instead at your strength, and your bravery, and the depth of your love for your child.

His world would be so much colder, without your love in it.

You posted, karisma, that you felt shame at your emotional dependence on your son's response to you. Every parent is emotionally dependent on how his or her children feel and act toward them, karisma. This is love, this give and take of emotion and liking them and them liking us and us knowing what their favorite foods are and loving them, so much, when we cook those favorite things for them. It is the pleasure and pride both feel when they draw us pictures when they are little and we put them on the fridge and swear to our friends they will be great artists, one day.

But for some parents ~ and we are those parents, karisma ~ loving our children in those ways other parents can love their children will not help our children. Our kids are in trouble. If helping worked, if loving them more worked, if putting them first worked, if sifting through their childhoods for where we went wrong worked...the kids would be okay, today. It was the hardest thing, for me to get that. I was so sure I could fix this. That the next thing I discovered would be what I'd missed.

But that wasn't true, karisma.

One of my children has some diagnoses I don't much care for. The other of my children lived the kind of life people who are addicted to really bad things live.

Well, huh.

So, I had to cry about that for awhile. Then, I had to go into denial (again) about those things for awhile. But one day, thank heaven for this site, I decided that whatever was going on with my kids, what I needed to do was be the strongest and best mother I knew to be for them. I could look like, and believe myself to be, the best Mom in the world, but if it wasn't working for them, then I would need to do something different. For them. So, I changed how I responded. I learned to name what every other freaking parent in the world gets to name loving and believing in their kids...I had to learn to name my loving and believing in them enabling.

Man, that sucked.

Then, I had to learn to act on what I now understood about how my helping was hurting the kids.

That was even worse.

But I did it. That is how much I love them. It was awful. They felt betrayed. And I felt I was betraying them and myself. But I did it, anyway. I stopped enabling. I didn't know much, but I knew I could not enable. I learned to cope with the rotten way I felt because I'd changed my response to the kids with detachment parenting theory: Not to detach from my kids. To detach from my emotions. Just to let those nightmarish emotions be, and do the right thing as I believed it to be. Which was not to enable. It was so awful, karisma. But my kids began to believe they could. Whatever it was, they began to believe they could, because that is what I told them. I had been here long enough to know that this kind of parenting had helped other kids. That is why I could hold faith with myself that detachment theory parenting could work for mine, too. Because I had read the posts of parents who changed their parenting techniques from teaching the kids that if only the story was bad enough, we would save them to teaching the kids that they were smart, and strong, and that they would find their own way and did not need me.

And it worked.

Long road. Really tough. But the kids are better. I tell them things like: You are not a beggar. You can do this.

So, that's my story. I know of one mom, who was here when I first came here, who made her son leave. And he was killed, karisma. (!) And then, her other son fell into the same kinds of problems. And she made him leave, too.

But this son, she saved.

That is the kind of courage it takes.

Just awful.

And that is what I mean when I post that other parents do not know ~ they don't even suspect ~ the things parents like us know. So, they still tell me of course they do, how proud they are of their children, how pleased they are with themselves and their parenting and their lives. All I can do, once I vomit into my purse, is be happy for them, and for their children, that they do not know what I know.

Here are words and phrases for you, karisma. Other moms here on this site did the same for me, when I did not yet have my own words to say. And could hardly speak English anymore because I was so traumatized a basket case.

:cry:

"I believe in you." "You are strong and bright and I know you will come through this." "I don't know what to do, either. What do you think you will do." "I'm so sorry this is happening to you. What do you think you will do?" "I love you." "No, you cannot come home." "No money."

I learned to say: "No. But I will think about this. I will call you back."

We need to give ourselves time. We need to learn that. We need to learn FOG. That is: Fear/Obligation/Guilt. We need to recognize that place when we are in it and take time. So we do not enable. Very hard, not to enable.

Well, that's all I know, karisma.

This site is a wonderful place. I am so glad you are here with us.

This stuff is so hard. How awful for you and your child too, that these terrible things are happening to you both.

Cedar

:sorrowsmiley2: