Abbreviations, Acronyms, Automagic

HeadlightsMom

I understand the comment at the top of the page re: search engines. I have no investment in what abbreviations of words people choose to designate certain identities, events, etc., hence I have no problem switching to whatever people decide they want to use.

However, I admit I'm not terribly fond of having my words entered (past, present, future) being altered/changed. That makes them, by definition, not my words....especially as I am not aware we were consulted on the decision to change people's words. I do have an investment in having the freedom to speak my own words.

Just putting that out there as it somehow feels a bit like a variation of censorship.

That being said, I am very fond of the people and freedom of sharing support, ideas, and experiences together. You are a wonderful group of people and I'm glad to have made your virtual acquaintance!

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled programming. :)

recoveringenabler

Staff member
However, I admit I'm not terribly fond of having my words entered (past, present, future) being altered/changed. That makes them, by definition, not my words....especially as I am not aware we were consulted on the decision to change people's words. I do have an investment in having the freedom to speak my own words.

HLM, could you clarify what you mean by that, I am not aware of changes that are made......thanks.

HeadlightsMom

RE -- The top of my page states this ---

"Hi HeadlightsMom. Just wanted to let you know that the acronyms and abbreviations that have traditionally been used here are automagically going to be replaced with full words from this point forward. The reason for this change is that the search engines cannot comprehend the meaning of our acronyms so our discussions are not being listed in search engine results as often as they would be if we didn't use our own jargon. Feel free to type the acronyms in as usual, the software will take care of converting them to words. ~ Cheryl"

HeadlightsMom

Moving on. I was just on here to reply briefly to a private message and happened to note the changes. That's all for now. :)

Last edited:

runawaybunny

Administrator
Staff member

Just putting that out there as it somehow feels a bit like a variation of censorship.

That being said, I am very fond of the people and freedom of sharing support, ideas, and experiences together. You are a wonderful group of people and I'm glad to have made your virtual acquaintance!

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled programming. :)
I understand your concerns.

It is true that many acronyms and abbreviations are being replaced with words so that the search engines can comprehend what we're discussing here.

The reason I chose to do this is that google and the other search engines think this site is about "difficult child" when what this site is really about supporting parents of difficult to parent children. If someone searches for something about parenting this site is unlikely be included in the search results since we only refer to our children as difficult child s or p c s. Those acronyms will be replaced with difficult child and easy child.

It's a practical decision made in the hope that it will encourage search engines to show our community to struggling parents searching for support. I do understand that some members may not be happy with this.

All complaints, ideas, and suggestions are always welcome.

Lil

Hm. difficult child husband easy child

I don't know if I like this.

But in the end, I don't really care I suppose. Does it really have to be every acronym though? I can see D x being changed to diagnosis or psychiatrist being changed to psychiatrist or whatever. But P C and difficult child and D H and similar acronyms seem kind of silly to change.

Guess psychiatrist doesn't translate.

BusynMember

I like it better. It always bothered me that difficult child was pretty much a reference to a bad kid and P C meant Perfect Child. As dear as some of them can be, there is no such thing. I didn't understand it when I first got here and I'm glad it changed. I actually thought P C meant precious child.

HeadlightsMom

Runawaybunny -- Thanks for your response. Really, I don't care what words people use and am happy to switch over. I admit I tend to like acronyms just because they're quicker/easier to use. But which words everyone wants to use aren't a big deal. I'm still not overly fond of having my words changed.......because then they're not my words (whatever words they are). But I have gained a great deal of insight, support and enjoyment from the site, so that's what matters most to me.

However...........Now I see that ONLY my post has an "N/A" on the end and the info about how many views/replies there are has been totally omitted. Has my comment been omitted, also? I am unclear. If so, that will also feel like censorship to me. Why the "N/A" on the end of this thread ONLY?

I appreciate your clarifications. Thanks! :)

runawaybunny

Administrator
Staff member
Never mind. I see my thread was moved (also without my consent). Much to consider....

There seems to be some misunderstanding here. I moved this thread into the Watercooler because it has nothing to do with the topics of the Parent Emeritus forum and I thought that the members that frequent the other forums would be more likely to see it here. I apologize if the notice I sent to you when I moved the thread somehow upset you. That was not my intention at all.

I often move threads into a more appropriate forum such as this one: http://www.conductdisorders.com/community/threads/why-my-daughter-lost-all-respect-for-me.59594/ which I just moved from General into Parent Emeritus because it discusses a child that is over 18.

I honestly do not have any problem with you expressing your concerns about the acronyms being converted to words. I would probably have the same reaction as you did if I didn't have any experience as a web developer and was looking at it as a member.

It really is only search engine optimization and has nothing to do with censorship. I know none of that makes much sense if you're not involved in the care and feeding of websites but it is an issue that I have to address as the admin here.

I'm very sorry to have upset you and encourage you to continue to express your opinion about this or any other issues.

SuZir

I hate this. Do we have list of words that are automatically changed so I can avoid using them/spell them differently or with spaces between them?

EDIT1: Oh, it even goes to our sigs. Have to change that too. Shame.

EDIT2: would it be possible technically not have this change made to old posts we are not able to edit? Or give us possibility to edit our old messages? I absolutely hate the idea, that there is loads of messages now over here, there I have appeared to use 'difficult child' as a name for my kid. Really, really hate it! Of course doesn't help, that many of our old posts do not make any sense anymore, because difficult child is not same as difficult child and difficult child was also used as more wider meanings than just talking about particular child. Or how are for example our parents or aunts or person in the store now 'difficult childs'? Or rules of land of difficult children?

And by the way, it is censorship, when you automatically change words afters have written after they have written them, it's published and they have no way to change it back.

Last edited:

runawaybunny

Administrator
Staff member
@SuZir no words are changed. Only the acronyms and abbreviations. A list is a good suggestion, thank you. You can also look at it as a list of keyboard shortcuts.

Text entered as the following acronyms and abbreviations (spaces removed) will be replaced by the = text.

difficult child = difficult child (formerly Gift From God)

P C = easy child (formerly Perfect Child)

D H = husband (formerly Dear Husband)

D W = wife (formerly Dear Wife)

M I L = mother in Law

F I L = father in law

B I L = brother in law

S I L = sister in law

T Y = Thank You

I M O = In My Opinion

I M H O = In My Humble Opinion

B T D T = Been There Done That

B T W = By The Way

R T C = Residential Treatment Center

D J J = Department of Juvenile Justice

W N L = within normal limits

N O S = not otherwise specified

S D = school district

R / O = rule out

B P D = Borderline Personality Disorder

C O B P = Childhood Onset Bipolar Disorder

F A S = Fetal Alcohol Syndrome

I E D = Intermittent Explosive Disorder

L D = Learning Disability

N V L D = NonVerbal Learning Disorder

O C D = Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder

P D D = Pervasive Developmental Disorder

R A D = Reactive Attachment Disorder

S I D = Sensory Integration Disorder

T S = Tourette's Syndrome

D X E D = diagnosed

D X = diagnosis

a p p t = appointment

S L P = Speech Language Pathologist

N V L D = NonVerbal Learning Disorder

C P S = Child Protective Services

p s y c h = psychiatric

C S B = Children Services Board

D C S = Department of Children's Services

G A D = Generalized Anxiety Disorder

m e d s = medications

m e d = medication

L C S W = Licensed Clinical Social Worker

A P D = Auditory Processing Disorders

C A P D = Central Auditory Processing Disorder

D C D = Developmental Coordination Disorder

O C P D = Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder

C O P D = Childhood Onset Bipolar Disorder

T B I = Traumatic Brain Injury

U T I = Urinary Tract Infection

s a h m = stay at home mom

D D = daughter (formerly Dear Daughter)

E O B P = Early Onset Bi-Polar

p s y d o c = psychiatrist

h o s p = hospital

k w i m = Know what I mean?

n e u r o p s y c h = neuropsychologist

t d o c = therapist

e v a l = evaluation

p i c = picture

SuZir

difficult child was used by me and many others as a name of my child and other people. Name is a word. difficult child is different word than difficult child. Changing that changes our messages and meanings of them. For example my sig changed from telling I was from long line of G F Gs, which kind of makes sense, if you now the acronym difficult child, to long line of difficult child that makes absolutely no sense in any way (if you do not know both what difficult child means and that it is censored and replaced with difficult child so I may have meant difficult child and not some difficult child.)

runawaybunny

Administrator
Staff member
@SuZir I'm open to suggestions. We have to replace difficult child for search engine optimization purposes. Gift from God has been complained about many times as not accurately describing our children. Which words do you suggest that would make better sense than difficult child to replace difficult child?