Am I the one with-Attitude Problem???

You are right Allen.

Live in the solution, not the problem.

Just saying something to your child like "Now what can WE do about this" changes the entire tone and makes it the two of you on the same side.

TerryJ2

a thought- are you sure gramma reported accurately what psychiatrist said? Are you sure psychiatrist REALLY said it?

I agree with-Dreamer and Wldnnh... (now that I've told you not to let Grandma take difficult child to the dr again :smirk: )How much did Grandma stretch?

Jewel1

You had asked about whether or not his medications were changed or dosage....yes to both. I had changed his Prozac back down to 10mg...the doctor had upped it to almost 15mg or 20mg.

At yesterday's appointment, which my Mom took him to the counselor...the counselor suggested that now Bradley help with-the making of dinner, & give him "options" sometimes on what to eat. I am not a restaurant...nor did I get choices on what to eat at home when I was little. If I let him give or choose on how much to place on his plate, he'll choose next to nothing. I disagree with-the counselor.

Any thoughts? Any information on alternative methods?

wldinnh

I agree on the "I'm not a restaurant" comment! I tell my daughter that all the time when she tells me she doesn't like what's for dinner so what can I make her instead. (My answer is "this is not a restaurant, it's either what I've made or go get yourself a bowl of cheerios.") However, you could give him options on what to help you make for dinner one or two nights a week. My difficult child helps make the whole dinner on Friday nights and helps with one part of the dinner on other nights. I give her a couple of choices on what we could make for Fridays(things I know that are easy for her to help with) and then let her decide which one we'll be making. The other nights I might tell her she's in charge of vegetables and tell her to look in the fridge and freezer and pick one out. Of course, with her Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) issues, if it's a bad day, just asking her to make a choice of vegetables becomes a nightmare because she's so anxious about making the "wrong" choice! Some nights I can't win no matter what I try....