Anxiety

Freedom08

Hi all. It's been a rough few months. In the past on and off I have struggled with anxiety. I've learned to live with it for the most part but I struggle greatly when we travel. We are leaving today for a sports tournament that is 6 hours away from home. It's a long one too as we won't be back until very late Sunday night. I was doing okay until today. Paralyzing anxiety and dread and worry that something terrible will happen away from home. I have essential oils to help calm me down but I'm kicking myself for not getting medications when I had the chance. We leave in an hour. Ugh. Anyone else experience this and if so how do you cope?.

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
The only thing I can offer is to try and control your breathing, slow deep breaths in and out while counting to 20.

I'm sorry you are having a tough time but I am sure you will get through it. Do try and enjoy yourself. While driving look for the signs of fall. Enjoy the landscape.

:1010fall::staystrong:

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I have experienced the "something awful is going to happen" anxiety many times.

I used to suffer from it terribly when travelling, usually a horrible feeling that i would return home to find that my house had in some way been destroyed, or that my critters had died in kennels and i hadn't been notified.

Oddly, since moving to my apartment, I'm not dealing with that specific anxiety, and overall my anxiety levels are somewhat lower.

But yes, I used to have to fight a constant urge to turn around and rush back home, as if my presence could somehow prevent the "awful" from happening.

Feeling Sad

Hi, Lila. I am glad that you arrived and feel better. I find avoiding foffee, which may make you more jumpy, a warm shower, and listening to music that takes you back to your earlier...more happy...less stressful times. For me it is 60's music and the Beatles.

Also, watching a comedy. Laughter truly is the best medicine. Also, nice hand lotion or a piece of jewelery that symbolizes your faith or a loved one's heirloom jewelry. Deep breaths are good, too.

My therapist has me think positively for at least 5 minutes and take notes...each day. It forces me to stop the 'negative record' playing in my head.

You also told me once that a good book helps. I hope that your team wins!

Either way...try to relax and have fun! Shopping therapy always seems to help me. It is NOT spending money...it is 'therapy'.

Take care,
Feeling

Feeling Sad

I meant coffee...not 'foffee. Now, toffee you do not need to avoid. Desserts spelled backwards is stressed. So, of course, you are allowed desserts when you are stressed...or anxious!

Take care.

Freedom08

Feeling okay right now. I've managed to have a good time and my son is having a good sports weekend so far. 3 games down 2 more to go.

pasajes4

Lila, I am an awfulizer. I really want to go to Seattle. It is one of the things that I would regret not doing. I have planned the trip by car, plane, and train and have awfulized my way out of the trip countless times. I need to be like Nike and just do it.

I am glad to hear that you made the trip and that it is going well. Kudos