Autistic girl communicates through typing

TerryJ2

Her parents and teachers used a very consistent form of give-to-get and made her type, once they realized she could communicate that way. She is so lucid it is amazing.

InsaneCdn

Did you ever read the story "My Left Foot"? I have no idea how many years ago that the book came out, but I've never forgotten it. A severely handicapped boy figures out he can pick stuff up with his feet... his family catches on, and he ends up - with much practice and help - being able to communicate by writing with his left foot.

The stories are not new - just modern twists in the age-old need to find some way to communicate...

T

TeDo

Wow Terry!! Thanks so much for sharing that. It was awesome to watch. Wish I could find a way for difficult child 1 to communicate so clearly....and he's VERBAL.

Last edited:

buddy

I remember when this first came out. I remember thinking that there are so many kids we label as "low functioning" and it is just because we have not figured out a way for them to communicate. I dont know about some of you but when she and others like her describe how it feels, it KILLS me because Q does many of those things, and because he CAN talk people assume he is just being manipulative and naughty. He even told his new therapist the other day when asked (in a social skills game)..."what does it feel like to be angry?" He said, "it feels like my body is going to blow up".

Heart breaking.

DDD

When I read the article yesterday I thought how wonderful for that family. Then I thought how really sad for all the other families who have children who remain uncommunicative. DDD

TerryJ2

"what does it feel like to be angry?" He said, "it feels like my body is going to blow up".

Very good description.

Yes, DDD, very sad. But if more people read/see things like this video, or My Left Foot, it will help.

Ktllc

It is really eye opening. I think we can all learn from that video. Let's not assume that the shell is empty just because communicaion is hard or even inexistant.