*C-PAP machine questions*

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
A friend might need to go in for a sleep study and is worried that she might have to have a C-Pap machine. Does anyone here have one? What's it like? How long does it take to get used to being "plugged in" at night?

Suz

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Depends if it is a C pap maybe a day or so - a Bi-pap is a little longer I move around a lot when I sleep, and the worst with me was breaking that suction not to mention I talk in my sleep
LOL

The C Pap was harder for me because I breathe out of my mouth, not my nose and had to retrain myself to breathe out of my nose. But she will feel much better after a few days. SO and I look very stylish with out matching paps on.

Marcie

KTMom91

Hubby and I both have one. I'm amazed at how quickly I got used to mine...no problems at all, and I HATE having things over my face. Hubby took a bit longer to get used to his, though.

I really disliked the sleep study itself. First they stick things to your head, neck, arms, and legs with goop that feels like slimy candle wax, and before I was ready to go to sleep, the nurse took my glasses and book, and turned the light out. Then someone came in about 2 am to restick stuff to my neck. I was so glad to get home so I could get some sleep!

slsh

member since 1999
Suz - husband has had a CPAP for over 10 years. He took to it within a week, thank goodness. He also was a mouth breather but managed to get the nose breathing down quickly. I think one of the reasons he took to it is because he felt so much better so quickly. Not only was he more rested, but his blood pressure came down significantly (no more medications) and his perpetual heartburn disappeared. He had to replace his old machine last year, and the new one is just tiny. I don't hear it at all. I know a lot of folks have troubles with the masks but there's a huge variety available out there now - your friend just needs to keep on trying if the first one doesn't work out.

Mattsmom277

My ex finally got a cpap after I nagged him for ages. He griped badly for a few days but I noticed how much better he was sleeping immediately. Within a week even he had to confess he felt so much better, both through the night for sleep and during his waking hours.

trinityroyal

My husband has also had a CPAP for about 10 years. He got used to it immediately. The key for him was spending a long time with the technician to ensure that he got the right mask-headset combination. There are many different configurations, so if one doesn't work right away there may be another mask or headset type that works better. For example: Some masks cover the nose and mouth, some cover just the nose. Some headsets go over the top of the head, some go around the back. If your friend can find one that's comfortable, then the chance of adapting is much better.

Here are a couple of links to suppliers, if your friend wants to do some research. (I eliminated the Canadian ones from the list, but a quick google search will find them if they're of help)
http://www.clinicalsleep.com/
http://www.cpap.com/

Trinity

tawnya

Another opinion...my mom hated it and said it made her feel worse because she couldn't get used to it. She understood the concept, but the claustrophobia aspect made it worse. My dad always griped at her about it, and I told her to strap it on his face and see what he thought about it. LOL.

Most people, though, say that they feel sooo much better while using it.

Good luck to your friend.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Thanks so much for the feedback. My exdh was diagnosed with a bad case of sleep apnea about a year or two after our divorce. I'd been telling him for years to get tested because between his snores I could hear him stop breathing, but he never believed me. I know he got a c-pap but have no idea if he uses it. Trinity, those links were helpful- thanks- I'll forward them to my friend so she can see the variety of headsets.

You gals rock. :)

Suz

gcvmom

Here we go again!
My husband has had one for over a year now. He adjusted to it very quickly. His sleep doctor gave him Klonipin to use if he had anxiety when first starting out with the mask (that's probably what I would need) but he never used the medication. Keep in mind there are several types of masks and your friend may have to try different ones to see which one works best. husband started out with the CPAP type that covered his mouth and nose, then tried a bipap, and now has a mask that only goes over his nose.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
From MR DaisyFace:

A CPAP will seem awkward at first and will take the average person up to thirty days to get used to sleeping with one.

However, the benefits far outweigh the initial any discomfort. Patients notice more restful sleep and increased energy over time.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Unfortunately we never could get difficult child use to wearing it. I think it would have helped tons!