Can I brag just a little bit?

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I just want to shout out that I am so very proud of both my girls!

easy child has been working with the local Hartford Habitat for Humanity program to help with a holiday fundraiser. The fundraiser will take place during the upcoming West Hartford holiday 'walk' in the center of town. H4H rented a store front and will have on display lots of homemade donated gingerbread houses, including one she made and one she made with her children at work. She came back from dropping them off on Tuesday so full of energy - she is so very into being a part of a group to raise awareness and fundraising. It's amazing to see this passion in her! I'm so very proud of her involvement in this project. She is also in the process of planning a trip to Ghana Africa to volunteer for one month and teach the children and young adults things like cooking and sewing and reading/speaking English (she is going with a friend who has gone before). She's been organizing a fundraiser for that trip and to raise funds for the orphanage itself and she's really having fun with it, tapping into people and companies locally that may want to sponsor her, etc.

On the heels of easy child's phone call telling me all about the H4H fundraiser, I received an email from difficult child asking for information about two homeless shelters we've worked with in the past as a family. She said that she and her boyfriend want to volunteer their time serving at the shelters. I always knew that difficult child had a very strong empathetic and compassionate soul - I'm so proud that she's reaching out into the community in this way, along with her boyfriend. I just think it's wonderful!

Okay, brag over. Just wanted to share this with others who can appreciate how special it is to see your kids turn a corner.

busywend

Jo - I can feel the warmth in your heart for your babies!! Brings a tear to my eyes!

Your girls are great young ladies - and you are a fabulous mom!

buddy

I love that! What a spirit of generosity. When kids show that, it often means they have learned it early on and consistently. You get credit too! (heck, we are asked to take the responsibility for the ugly, so you can have credit here too). Good job raising kids with such kind hearts. And special hugs to them for reaching out like that.

cubsgirl

Oh, this warmed my spirit and my heart.

A friend of mine went to Ghana - it was a life-changing (for the better) experience for her :)

Brag as much as you want to!! You've set a great example for your daughters because of your caring, generous nature. It's wonderful to see that they're following in your footsteps. Thank you for making my day a bit brighter by sharing this with all of us. SFR

Nancy

How wonderful that you instilled such community spirit and generosity in your girls. You have every right to be proud.

Nancy

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Omg! Tonight was the opening reception at the H4H fundraiser, all the gingerbread houses are on display.

Guess what?! easy child's gingerbread 'house' won in the non-traditional entries! She made a replica of the Hartford Whale ice hockey rink. It's so cute! Yay!

M

ML

What a great post Jo. Your girls are taking more and more after their mother.