difficult child's allergies (medication question)

klmno

are at their worst right now with all the pollen and people cutting grass for the first time, etc. I want him to cut ours but am not forcing the issue until I can find something OTC that is effective. I need one that is also a decongestant and had to go OTC after I could no longer afford to go back to dr and pay for it without medication insurance. So, the same pharmacist who knows I've had a rx for allegra-d for many years recommended an OTC substitute for me and it's working pretty well. She said it was safe to try on difficult child- which I wanted to point out to her since they log in how much you buy and how often thesde days. Anyway, he can't stand the decongestant type because he says he already sneezes enough without it- he'd always been rx'd the type (zyretc- now an OTC) without it but I think it was contributed to activation and behavior issues. However, I tried a different OTC besides the deconggestant type or zyrtec this morning- a 24 hr one, supposedly. He's had them act up horribly since late afternoon. I suppose making him wash the car didn't help but I thought the water would keep the pollen from flying around- I guess I was wrong. Anyway- question 1- do you think I really need to wait 24 hours before giving him something else? and 2) should I venture out and be brave enough to try the zyrtec (I have some here) knowing it works best for him, but coincidentally or not, happens to be a medication he's on when the worst happens usually?

smallworld

Both my daughter A and I have bad seasonal allergies. This is what our pediatrician recommends:

Stay inside as much as possible with the windows closed.
After venturing outside, shower once inside and change into clean clothes (to remove pollens).
Run air conditioning if you have it.
Do not be the one to cut grass if you're allergic to it (both my daughter and I are, and even with medications, we can't tolerate being near cut grass).

In terms of medications:

medications with decongestants can rev kids with mood issues up. Avoid anything with "D" (for example, Claritin-D).
Some kids with mood issues have problems with certain antihistimines (for example, Zyrtec, Claritin), while others have no problems at all. My daughter does fine mood-wise on both Zyrtec and Claritin, although Zyrtec is more effective for her. You have to know how your individual child does.
Both Claritin and Zyrtec, which are now sold over the counter, are 24 hour medications, but our pediatrician said with bad allergy symptoms, an individual patient can take one in the morning (for example, Claritin) and one (for exampe, Zyrtec) at night because they are different medications.
(Disclaimer: You should always check with your own doctor or pharmacist.)

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
M

ML

fexofennadine works for manster and doesn't seem to make moods worse as far as we can tell. It's about to come OTC this summer. The thing that has helped the most is the weekly allergy shots. It's been a year and I can definitely see improvement. Though we haven't had the grass cut yet.

klmno

Well it helps but I'd kind of found these things out the hard way the past few years. LOL! I didn't realize that the decongestant type was more likely to cause a problem for him- it actually helps my moods and allergies both. We have the AC on and he changed the filters out a few days after getting home. He and his mentor were outside a few hours yesterday, for the most part, but were in a museum today.

That astelin (or whatever) nasal spray (has no antihistimine in it) was the best for dealing with the symptons while still not activating or causing agitation but it's an rx type ($ for dr plus medication). We have both clariton (brand) and zyrtec here already. And a generic for clariton, which difficult child took this morning around 9:30 but it's not working at all. The clariton helps him a little- the zyrtec used to work great, but as I said ....I consider it a risk at this point. Since it must be stronger and difficult child had a 24 hr type first thing this morning, I think I'll give him a brand clariton tonight. It's raining now so hopefully that well help things tomorrow. I'm sure his refusal to keep windows closed last weekend and all the other stuff didn't help- along with me having him wash the car today. But I can't cut the grass, wash the car, clean the pollen off the porch and deck and be in here working at the same time- while he plays video games, you know??

difficult child said they didn't give him any allergy medications in Department of Juvenile Justice, no matter how bad they got. I don't know if that's because I'd let them know he should have that nasal spray and it had to be rx'd, if they just let all kids suffer thru it- but he's so miserable tonight I can't ignore it.

Last edited:

DammitJanet

I recommend the Neilmed nasal wash. It rinses the junk out. Also there is a barrier ointment you can put on the outside of the nose to prevent allergens from entering the body.

I never thought I could use the neti pot thing but I can. Its really easy and doesnt make you gag or anything.

klmno

Also there is a barrier ointment you can put on the outside of the nose to prevent allergens from entering the body.

That's a great idea for a preventative measure! The bigger problem is warding off the stuff getting in his chest, leading to a sinus infection & bronchitis, then his previous tendency for wheezing.

everywoman

I love my Neti pot. It is wonderful, but it takes some getting used to. It has been my saving grace this season. I've had no issues at all and I am usually is pretty bad shape by now.

klmno

What on earth is Neti pot? Maybe I could tell difficult child it's something else and get him to use it. (JK)

skeeter

The thing about antihistimines is just that - they are ANTIhistimine. To get them to work the best, you MUST start taking them BEFORE the symptoms occur, and to continue taking them until AFTER the offending allergin is no longer around. You want to get a level of antihistimine in the body and KEEP that level up to prevent histimine production - which leads to the secondary symptoms.

For me - grass, trees and weeds - that means starting antihistimines around April 1st (I started earlier this year because the weather was warm late March) and continuing every single day until late June, then restarting August 1st (ragweed is my worst) and continuing every single day until the first killing frost. Which means I have about 3 months off - so for me it's just easier to take every day.

For my kids - which have all my allergies along with mold and dust mite - it meant years of allergy shots. Now that they are adults, they know to take antihistimines year round, too.

I am currently also taking decongestant (the pine pollen is killing me this year). I take Zyrtec, and suppliment with Sudafed. I don't like taken the "D" form because I don't always need the decongestant. Zyrtec isn't the best antihistimine for me - I responded much better to the one in Drixoral - but that isn't being produced anymore. My body is "immune" to the antihistimine in Clortrimeton and Actifed. Benedryl only works on "itching" for me.

LittleDudesMom

difficult child's doctor recommends the same thing skeeter mentioned. She said to begin giving difficult child the allergy medications in March and don't stop until mid May. He still has allergy issues, but they are not nearly as bad since I started doing this the last couple of years. When he starts taking the allergy medication in March, there are not allergy symptoms but the drug is building in his system.

As far as the grass, ex bonehead had allergies (and asthma when he was young) but he cut the grass for many years wearing a mask to prevent the grass pollen from being inhaled.

Sharon

smallworld

Some years we actually start allergy medications in early or mid-February (depending on when trees begin to bud) and go all through the summer until the first frost. My daughter has pretty significant allergies.

M

Mamaof5

Have you tried a natural approach?

Nettle (Urtica dioica): Nettle has enjoyed a long history as a treatment for seasonal allergies. Dr. Andrew Weil, author of Natural Health, Natural Medicine (Houghton Mifflin, 1998) reports success with this herb to treat his own allergies. Be careful not to confuse this herb with another species, U. Urens, which contains high levels of leukotrienes and histamine.

Ephedra (Ephedra sinicia): Also known as mahuang, the generic name of this herb may be familiar since a synthetic version of its primary alkaloid, ephedrine, can be found in many conventional remedies as pseudoephedrine. This herb has been used to treat bronchial and inflammatory disorders in Chinese medicine for more than 5,000 years. In fact, ephedra is often used to treat asthma. Note: Ephedra can raise both systolic and diastolic blood pressure and can cause excitability in some individuals.

Echinacea (Echinacea purpurea): Also known as purple coneflower, this Native American herb is one of the best immune enhancing supplements you can take. Echinacea has been the subject of more than 50 years worth of study and has clearly demonstrated an ability to increase the production of a number of T-cells and their distribution in the blood.

Garlic (Allium sativum): The antiviral properties of garlic have been well examined for many years. In Russia, the herb is known as "Russian penicillin" where it was once used to treat respiratory disorders in hospitals. Recent Japanese studies have found that aged garlic extract stimulates NK activity and a potent antimicrobial action against bacteria and yeasts. Garlic owes its efficacy to allicin, a byproduct derived from the amino acid alliin reacting with the enzyme alliinase. The biosynthesis of these constituents however, can be unstable in their natural state. Raw garlic is certainly good for you and has several health benefits to offer otherwise, but the enzyme necessary to produce allicin is usually destroyed in the stomach before the conversion can take place. For this reason, enteric-coated tablets of dried or powdered garlic tablets is the best form of supplementation to take advantage of this herb's immune-boosting qualities. Note: Garlic, and other alliums can raise or lower blood sugar levels. Consult your health care practitioner if you are diabetic or hypoglycemic.

Source

klmno

Remember though- we didn't have that option this year. I had no say-so in what medications they gave difficult child- other than asking the psychiatrist last year to consider a medication-wash to see if difficult child could control behavior.

smallworld

Even if you don't start early, you can start now and continue every day. The antihistimine will build up in his system and help. You just have to make sure and give it to him every day.

klmno

I'm trying that, Smallworld, and hope it builds up soon. It's a lot better today and I'm just going to give him clariton I think.