difficult child's psychiatrist appointment.

Wiped Out

Staff member
We had difficult child's appointment. today. psychiatrist was saying what an awful time of the year this is for many with BiPolar (BP).

difficult child really got angry-swearing, fake hitting- when I was telling psychiatrist about all that has been going on. psychiatrist told difficult child he should be angry with him not me because he has to ask the questions. He even told psychiatrist to shut up (he really likes this guy and I think didn't want him to hear any of the bad stuff).

psychiatrist asked if I had come close to calling the police on Sunday. I said if husband had not been able to intervene I may have had to-I was glad I didn't as we were out of state.

For now we will be trying an increase in the Topomax. I'm hoping that will help-it really did in July.

Sheila

It's hard to describe to someone what's really going on behavior-wise, so I think it's good for the acting out to occur in the pros office.

With this psychiatrist being aware of BiPolar (BP) and problems experienced this time of the year, it sounds like he has quite a bit of experience.

Hope difficult child is stabilized soonest.

Hugs

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I hope the medication increase works again for him. Sounds like the appoint went well. At least psychiatrist got to see some of what it's be like for you.

Hugs

Sharon,

I'm so sorry difficult child is still on his downward spiral - I definitely must have missed something - I didn't know things had gotten to the point, where on Sunday, you wouldn't have been able to manage difficult child without husband's help. I know firsthand, how horrible it is when things spiral downward to this degree!!!

difficult child 1 is also in a downward spiral. He has a psychiatrist appointment next week. Hopefully, we'll make it until then...

I'll be keeping you in my thoughts...I hope the increase in Topomax helps!!! Sending cyber hugs... WFEN

TerryJ2

psychiatrist sounds pretty good!
So sorry about Sunday, and the spiral in general.
I know what you mean about the weather ... the shorter days, lowered temps. husband even put it in his chiro newsletter, and that's for the general population, aside from people with-BiPolar (BP).
Good luck.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Thanks all! Yeah,this psychiatrist is really good. Whenever we mention his name to others like tdocs, pediatricians, etc... we hear we have the best! I wish they were all like him.

Tonight we had difficult child's therapist appointment. She told me at the end that it might be time for her to start making some calls about hospitalization. She said she is worried about my safety and wants to be sure that she is being proactive rather than reactive. I am suppose to call her next week if things don't improve (difficult child usually sees her weekly but can't next week) so we can talk about options. I'm hopeful with the increase medications that won't be needed but it was nice to hear her taking things seriously. We are really lucky in our psychiatrist and therapist. I met with my therapist tonight as well and she is awesome as well!

Fran

Former desparate mom
Sharon, my thoughts are with you and your safety. It's a worry to hear his continued aggression towards you. Glad you have a good team.

F

flutterbee

Crossing fingers and rattling beads....

I'm so glad you have such a wonderful psychiatrist and therapist.

mekki

WOW - Sunday must have been "our" day :smile: LOL! That was when things spun out of control for me and my darling!! Strange to think at the same time I was going thru it, someone, somewhere else was going thru the same thing!

Glad you have a good DR. Best of luck to you guys.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Sharon,

Follow up on the crisis plan with therapist. It's really important. Your difficult child is like my wm because the physical aggression is being directed toward you. You are at risk.

It came to the point that I would never be alone with wm. If husband couldn't make an appointment with wm & myself, I had our CW transport wm in a different car. I will not drive him alone, be in the same room alone - honey, this is 3 years after placement.

I'm letting you know this so you can maybe, just maybe, have a better outcome than I have with wm. It will be a long time before, if ever, wm & I have time alone together. wm continually begs for "mom" time. Just me & him. I can't trust it

Connect with therapist - get the crisis plans in place. Take care of yourself. I know you love your difficult child - I care about you. You need to do the same.

LittleDudesMom

Sharon,

You know it's tough to hear that difficult child is spiraling down, but it's good that he showed himself to psychiatrist. I too worry about his agression towards you Sharon. Hope the medication increase helps, but if not, I pray for a smooth transition into the option.

Hugs,
Sharon

susiestar

Roll With It
Sharon,

No matter what, please be aware of safety issues with your difficult child. Please please please follow up on hte crisis plan. I know we tendto pour everything into our kids, with little consideration for ourselves. This is not healthy.

If you let yourself be in unsafe situations with your child, you may have permanent damage in some part of your body. Your child will carry guilt over this for his entire life. That is NOT what you want for your child.

My difficult child did permanent damage to my left hand just beforee his 1st psychiatrist stay. Nerve and muscle damage. This was several years ago, almost 5 as I think about it. He will still grab my hand, kiss it and apologize. I do not want his apology. I know he was in a terrible cycle and that he was ill when it happened. All is forgiven, in my opinion, but he stilll feels bad. We are wirking on this. It did take almost a year and getting him stable for him to realize what he had done.

You do not want his for your son. Do not let yoursself be put in this situation, for his sake and for yours.

Susie