Geez, when it rains it pours... husband job dilemma of sorts.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
So husband got hired at this company after 6 months of unemployment. Took a 30% pay cut, not counting the expense of the 100-mile roundtrip commute. BUT he loves the work and finally has the job he was trying to get promoted to for years at his old company (but due to politics and prejudice it was always an unattainable carrot). He's actually been promoted to a higher position in the five months he's worked here.

Ironically, the day he accepted this position, the same job was posted at another company in the same industry and much closer to home. We just let the "what-ifs" go on that one because the job you HAVE is always better than the job you COULD HAVE had.

Well guess what? Yesterday he got a call from a headhunter about the position at that other company (apparently they have not yet filled it -- which has us wondering). The pay is equal to what he was making before he lost his job, so 30% more. AND it's about 1/2 the distance to travel, and in a much nicer area, blah-dee-blah-blah. But it's not at the same level he's now at thanks to his increased responsibilities at this place.

So now he's feeling torn: Stay at this job where he feels very useful, appreciated, respected, but misses out on a lot of family life, long commute, tired, and less money.... OR disappoint his friend who hired him and go over to the other place, earn more money, drive less, be less tired, hopefully get more family time, but possibly not get the same opportunities that he's getting now?

I told him that the other company will always be there, and that he should take a year, maybe two to expand his skill set at his current job, enjoy the challenge, and then think about moving on to the place that's closer.

I suppose he could also use the other company as a means of leveraging a higher salary... but it's not even so much about the money as it is the time. You can always budget around less money, but you can't get the time back.

flutterby

Fly away!
There is a lot to be said for a positive work environment. You can't put a price on that. I would be wondering why, in this economy, that other position is still open. That would make me nervous and put me off.

tiredmommy

I think this current job has a lot of positives and apparently has room to grow. My guess is that it may well be a good company to be with when the economy starts to take off again.

KTMom91

I think he should stay where he is for now. I wonder too why that position is still open...or is it open now because they filled it, and the guy ran screaming into the night? Unemployment rate in our county is around 19%...I can't imagine there are any jobs still going begging.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I think he should call in sick and go talk to the new company. I figure it can't hurt to interview and ask some of the questions (like why is the position still vacant?) that you have instead of guessing at the reasons. Talking to them doesn't mean he has to accept a job if it's offered. Nothing ventured, nothing gained...and nothing lost by checking it out.

Suz

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Well, it's possible that the job hasn't been filled because the company is holding out for that "perfect" candidate. IOW, they want a specific skill set with experience on a specific IT platform performing specific job functions within their specific industry -- very specialized. There are a lot of IT people out of work in our area, so they probably think they can just wait until that perfect person comes along. From what we know, this is not a newly vacated position, but rather a new one in a growing department within the company.

Suz, you have a good point! Wouldn't hurt to ask some questions and find out a little more. But I can tell husband is hesitant. That's fine, it's his decision. As much as I'd love the extra money and having him home earlier and able to participate more in the kids' activities, he has to be happy with what he's spending 8-10 hours of his day doing.

Mattsmom277

I think talking to the other company can't hurt. At the same time, I have a policy with my S/O regarding his job. ENJOY it!!! There is so much to be said for enjoying your job. And sometimes money is worth more to someone than a title. Sometimes that higher title and more responsabilities goes far to making a employee fee valued and utilized for his true abilities. Know what I mean?? I've always told my S/O that even WITH more money, everyone simply SPENDS more money. True really. Who wouldn't love more money? And having gone down such a percentage in your household, I imagine that wasn't fun at all. Yet you've all managed somehow. We do tend to adapt don't we?
There may be a good reason the position isn't filled yet. This could be a chance for your husband to tell this other company "You know, I am truly happy where I am right now. I am making less money which is certainly a downfall (And a perk to considering the position you are offering). However, I enjoy the position and the responsabilities. I don't want to work long term in a position that won't include "XYZ", such as I have at my current position. What does your company offer for me if I were to consider the current position that is open? Is there room for me to work up to where i am at current company? Is it feasible or just a "maybe" scenario"?" . Nothing in those questions undermines his chance at the job, and it certainly would show his commitment to his job and showcase his abilities. A pay raise is great, but a drop down in position/rank might not feel so great. Maybe this other company will be so impressed they'll have a terrific carrot to dangle for your husband. And worst case scenario, he has security at a job he likes right now anyhow :)

I wish him luck regardless. Its such a trying time for people looking for work. I hope he feels complimented to be head hunted in a market flooded with people desperate for work. It is a real compliment for sure!!!!

Star*

call 911........call 911
There is a REASON.......why the closer job does not HAVE ANYONE -----something to ponder.

busywend

Will he always wonder about the other position or can he make the decision and move on? If he is the curious type he should go check out the other position. Unless he has a concrete reason to not do it, it might always be on his mind.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
So here's the update. He talked to the headhunter again this week. The guy went ahead and presented husband's qualifications and his old resume to the company, and says they are very "excited" to see an updated resume based on what he's been doing the past five months.

He's going to go ahead and update his resume and draft a cover letter and see what happens.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
MAYBE...he can use the other position to leverage additional time off at the place he likes.

I have worked for the same company for 12 years now and there have been 2 different periods of time that I was literally miserable and it affected EVERYTHING.

Closer to home and more money would be great...but tread cautiously!