Marguerite

In other threads I already mentioned our experience with the book, "The Explosive Child" by Ross Greene. I really wish we got a percentage from this book, for the amount of recommendations we make! But no kickbacks, sadly... I posted at length earlier today (my time) so if you look through my recent posts, you should find a LONG post where I talk about kids with impulse control issues and how they need a different approach to discipline.

If you google it, or look around this site, you will find a lot of discussion. Also go to the Early Childhood forum and look at the sticky there discussing how to adapt the book to younger kids. "Explosive Child" is, basically, CPS (Collaborative problem Solving). If you have a control freak for a kid, then if you involve them in the process they have more ownership. It short-circuits a lot of the problems and fast-tracks a lot of the more adult responsibilities. Kids like ours want control, but haven't yet got the wisdom. This works towards giving them that control, with parents becoming helpers instead of obstacles. it's a lot easier on everybody and once you begin to get success, it breeds more success.

HaoZi, I've got to get off that pedestal! I'm just an ordinary parent like the rest of you, but my kids are now a bit older. difficult child 3 is now 17 and increasingly a big player in his own management. We've needed to work towards this for a long time, it is all part of the hope that one day he will live on his own. I never thought difficult child 1 would be able to live independently; now he's married!

Marg

kfmewes

Hi, I have been around here since dirt was invented and my kids are now into their mid adult lives and we are now working on the grandchildren...lol. I would not take away the fun childhood times. Looking back, you will regret that. They may actually forget it but you never will. Its just not worth it.

As far as the psychiatrist, most now dont do more than dispense medications. If you are completely unhappy with this one, look on the back of the insurance card and call the number and ask for another one nearby. There has to be more than one. If nothing else, county mental health has to have one on staff. I have never known any private psychiatrists not to take medicaid either. But call that number on the back of the card, they can help you find one.

As far as the neuropsychologist exam, you shouldnt need a referral but if you do, get it from your pediatrician if the psychiatrist isnt open to it. You can normally find neuropsychs at Childrens hospitals. If you simply cant find one, I would ask for a complete multi-disciplinary exam to help you figure out what is going on with him. They will do a ton of exams including physical, psychological and educational testing on him.

So glad to hear that we won't have to depend on his psychiatrist for the referral. I really don't think she would be willing to help. His regular doctor is much easier to deal with.