How do you know when parents shouldn't be...

ShakespeareMamaX

He hadn't decided on sending it, or not. He just asked me to write it, for now, and discuss it.

I've done the letter writing thing (to difficult child's dad, numerous times) and ripped it up, ultimately making me feel better, but something tells me it wouldn't suffice in this situation.

meowbunny

Have you considered being "adopted" by your husband's family? My friend did this. Her family was beyond toxic. Her husband's family was like your husband's -- extremely loving and giving. She asked them privately if they would be willing to have a ceremony where she was officially made a member of the family. They loved the idea since they had always felt she was more their daughter than "just" a daughter-in-law! Their pastor came to their home and helped them write out the words and thoughts of all parties and officiated. The parents and my friends exchanged roses. They gave her a heart pinkie ring, which they placed on her finger during the ceremony as a token of their love. She gave her new mother a heart locket and took her father's watch and had it engraved with a heart and their initials. It was not a legal adoption, but it was a true adoption of the hearts.

I don't know how you feel about that idea, but if you think it is something husband's parents would like it might be something to consider and might ease some of your pain and envy.

ShakespeareMamaX

Wow. I didn't even know you could DO that.

I think...well, it'd take some conversating with the family (and my husband, of course) before I could go ahead and join the family, but I would, most definately, have to get the closure thing from my parents, first.

Now, a big question:

Being adopted by one family....would that emancipate me from the other?

Nancy

There came a point in my life that I confronted my dad with the fact that he was an alcoholic and unless he got help I couldn't be involved in his life anymore. I told my mom that I owuld help her leave him and help take care of her but if she stayed and he didn't get help I would no longer allow myself to be made sick over them. Dad chose to not get help and mom chose to stay. I left their lives for about eight years, no calls, no visits, no contact. I cried every holiday and birthday.

During those eight years I got therapy, it is ironic that the child is the one to get the therapy and the parent continues on their destructive ways. At any rate I finally learned how to not allow my parents to make me miserable and discovered I was now an adult and the only one that could make me happy. It came with a lot of hard work and pain.

I allowed them back in my life when my mom got ill and needed help and dad was finally able to accept why we had seperated for so long and began getting help himself.

It's a long and painful journey. You can and will someday accept the fact that your parents will never be who you want them to be. After you get stronger you may be able to accept them for who they are on your terms and go forward.

Nancy

meowbunny

I don't know if it would free you of the pain that your parents caused, but I do know that for my friend it gave her the sense of parental love and acceptance she always wanted and needed. She seemed less needy, happier.

This is not a legal adoption, it is kind of like renewing wedding vows -- it is done because you want to declare your love for each other, which is always a good thing. How you do your ceremony and who you involve is up to you. It can be a huge thing or it can be very private. It can simply be a declaration of love and acceptance or it can be an exchange of vows. It can be orally or written. The important thing is that the sentiments are heartfelt.

For my friend, she did it long before she could accept the issues with her parents. Actually, she did it before she was even willing to admit how badly her parents treated her -- both physically and emotionally. What she did do ultimately was write her parents a letter saying she was divorcing them. I think she did that about 5 years after the family adoption. It was at that point that she seemed complete.

Marguerite

Your parents apparent rejection - it's not about you, it's about them protecting themselves from being challenged on t heir lifestyle. I saw this with my best friend's parents - her father had dementia progressing rapidly, plus hearing loss, plus breathing troubles. He was also a violent bully. Her mother had osteoporosis so badly that her spine was collapsing and she was in total agony. She was a heavy smoker (bad for husband's lungs) and also took to drinking, to ease the increasingly severe pain. He would insist she sit with him at the table and play Scrabble (his way of trying to hold on to the last shreds of brain function) and this would severely aggravate her pain. She was going blind and had little sense of smell.

The overall result - she would fall, either from being drunk or from tripping over things he had put there to surround himself with familiar things. Her doctor would prescribe strong painkillers which hubby would find and throw away, or shout at her for taking them. Hubby insisted on cooking (he was a chef in his day) but would leave hot plates on, saucepans boiling dry. They would reheat leftovers that were sometimes two weeks old, and then they would get food poisoning. Both were losing weight. Their daughter prepared meals for them and froze them in neat little containers. her parents threw them away because "We won't eat that poor quality shop-bought muck" - the containers looked too professional, they didn't believe her that it was home-cooked, they accused her of trying to poison them.

All of this was an elaborate charade to convince the world that they were perfectly fine, thank you. No home help permitted - "I'll not have strangers in my house!" and the old man to be placated at all costs, to avoid his nasty temper. When an aged care assessment team made an inspection, this couple had practised and coached each other to a sufficient semblance of acceptability. There was insufficient reason to hospitalise them against their wills.

The house smelled - rotten food and stale urine. The old woman needed a walking stick but her husband refused to let her use one - "She's not old! Nothing wrong with her! Go away and leave us alone!" Because when people "snooped around" there was always the fear that authorities would intervene and take them away from their home, each other, their freedom.

I suspect your parents are desperate that letting anyone get too close will take away their freedom.

My friend's parents stayed together, on their own. One day the old woman, clutching to the arm of her husband because not only was she too weak to walk unaided, she was also too blind, was desperate for a drink and there was no alcohol in the house. She persuaded her husband to take her to the pub across the street. In this case it was the deaf and demented leading the blind and blind drunk - they fell on the steps. He broke his hip. At last they had to be separated. My friend rushed from work to find her father abusive but disoriented and hr mother frantic and demanding they be released from hospital to go home - the old woman was trying to refuse treatment for them both because of the fear of being "found out" and permanently separated from the old man. This wasn't out of love, it was out of fear for his violent temper and what he would do if she didn't do her utmost. She still kept screaming, "I love him, I love him, we promised we'd die in one another's arms," even as she insisted nothing was wrong with him, she'd nurse him at home, he didn't need surgery, etc.
My friend had to authorise her father's surgery and at the same time have her mother committed to a locked psychiatric ward as an involuntary patient. Things were very nasty, but in the hospital a medical examination showed both parents suffering severe malnutrition.

The old man never recovered. The old woman didn't seem to remember he existed. They never returned to the house. It cost a lot of money to clean, most of the contents had to be thrown away.
The old woman was admitted to hostel care with supervision. They have to watch her like a hawk to stop her getting access to alcohol and to reduce her smoking. The old man was transferred to the nursing home attached to the hostel, but she had to almost be bullied into seeing him. She would sit blankly, as if she didn't know who he was. He didn't know her at all. He'd lost his last marbles with the fall.
He died a week after the transfer. They managed to get her to his room before he died. She still seemed indifferent.
I was at the funeral, knowing all this. It was unbelievable. She was playing the grieving widow to the hilt - "Do you know, I was with my darling husband when he died... I held him in my arms." She milked every greeting with every guest at the funeral (I can't call them mourners) and quite a few were taken in. her immediate family were not, but there was no point calling her on it. She was going to enjoy her day, in her own way, rewriting history.

It was at that point that I really felt for my friend - because finally I could really understand what a rotten childhood she and her sister must have had, with this price pair as parents.

What you have gone through is probably far worse - at least my friend and her sister didn't feel compelled to leave home early. But from what I saw of this couple, everything they did in their last twenty years was geared to protecting the fragile world they'd built around themselves, each protecting the other's vices and nastiness, pretending it was love even as they abused each other. They had a fiction to maintain against the whole world, even from their own children (who could see through it all).

An utter, hopeless mess.

I strongly recommend that if/when you write your letter, keep one copy at least and have a ceremonial bonfire with it. It will probably give you more satisfaction than posting it off into limbo.

Like my friend, you are a survivor. You are your own best parent. They were only the genetic donors.

Marg