I am totally annoyed right now

Nikki88

I know that I am super new here, and I am really glad that I found this board, it's really helping me to be able to connect with people that actually understand what I am going through.
This morning I got wrote up at work- because they have me working a night shift, knowing that I could not leave my kids alone even though my oldest is completely old enough to babysit, but with difficult child issues, it's not good to leave them alone together. So I got in trouble for having to take personal calls, from my kids.
Seriously it seems like since they put me on flma, my bosses are doing everything they can to make this harder on me. Like I am choosing to go through all of this. And on top of it all, my father in law has stage 4 cancer and is not doing well at all.
Sorry I just needed to vent for a minute!!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I don't know where you work, but it must be in a place that has over 50 employees. Is it an office or a store? Is there a union rep you could go to or an HR person?

The first thought that popped into my head was that they are being extra rigid with you so as to make you quit. If that's the case, it's illegal. on the other hand, if they have the right to write you up for taking personal calls, there is little you can do about it...it would be nice if managers and bosses were a little more understanding and kind.

buddy

Such a bummer. I quit my job at a charter school for special needs kids because not only did I feel awful for missing kids when I had to take care of difficult child issues... but some of the people there were so unkind about all. And each and every one was in special education. Was such a reality slap when I realized how unkind and uncaring some of them were. I was not sad to leave that part of my job.

Nikki88

Yeah, theres over 50 employees, and it's a call center where I am a supervisor. And I've been here the longest and have always worked days, now they are hiring another sup to replace one that we just lost, and saying that we are going to have to start rotating our sch- which means I would work a week of 6-3,a week of 8-5 a week of 10-7 and a week of 1-10. Which I can not do with difficult child, right now I busting my behind to keep her routine as normal as possible. Not only that but they just approved for me to go back on 6-3 so that I can be home each afternoon with her. And now they are taking it all back. This week I was suppose to be on 6-3 and they told me Monday I would have to be 8-5, so that left us screwed with child care.
Not only that but I can't afford to quit right now, and I can't afford to pay someone to watch her either, and husband works nights. I am so overwhelmed anyways, and this is not helping. I really think that they are trying to get me to quit because of flma.

buddy

keep very careful notes... not that it is easy to prove but it does sound like they are breaking fmla rules

Nikki88

I don't know where you work, but it must be in a place that has over 50 employees. Is it an office or a store? Is there a union rep you could go to or an HR person?

The first thought that popped into my head was that they are being extra rigid with you so as to make you quit. If that's the case, it's illegal. on the other hand, if they have the right to write you up for taking personal calls, there is little you can do about it...it would be nice if managers and bosses were a little more understanding and kind.

I think they are trying to make me quit too- which is really sad, as I have been here a long time, and am very good friends with alot of our managers, it's funny how when your not their beck and call girl and doing their jobs for them how fast they turn!

InsaneCdn

Alternative take - note: this doesn't make the situation any different, but might affect how you approach it...

Maybe they had trouble hiring a new manager for just the late shift(s). So, in order to hire somebody, they "had" to change the scheduling plan. Not done "on purpose" to make your life difficult, but rather done to solve a hiring problem... with really NO idea that it could cost them YOU.

Were you hired for "shift work"? or just for days? If your employment letter specifies such things, then you might have "just cause" for a grievance... moving from set shifts to rotating shifts is (in many but not all jurisdictions) considered a "material change of employment".

Nikki88

I'm pretty sure that they know that if they move us to that, I'm out of here. We do shifts on seniority, so I have the most out the people that do the same job as me. We have never had rotating shifts before, this is something new that they are doing because of the needs of the person they are going to be promoting. If I was just a regular customer service rep, I would still have the most seniority, and would have my pick of shifts- which would be M-F 6-3. Instead I get promoted, and get to deal with not only this, but going off hourly and salary- so I make less now then I did before.
Again sorry for the rant and vent here- Ive done ALOT for this company and not they are pulling as this on me, It just upsets me so much!

DDD

Hugs. I have never worked for a company that large so I have no idea what's legal. I'm assuming it's not possible for you to ask for a "demotion" back to your old position?

on the other hand, I do have experience with difficult child needs causing work problems. I actually became a real estate agent so I would not have to conform to bosses needs. Obviously...very obviously...I am not suggesting that step for you in this economy. Sigh.

Just wanted you to know alot of us have had spillover problems from parenting needs. People with easy child's just don't understand that sometimes we just "can't" do what they want. Fingers crossed for you. DDD

TerryJ2

Aw, Nikki, that's so hard.
I agree, take notes at work. Carry a little notebook and pen in your pocket everywhere.
If I worked a corporate job, I would have been fired 10X over. No way would I even try it.
Many hugs.

flutterby

Fly away!
If they are making everyone in your position rotate shifts, they are not breaking FMLA rules. If they are writing you up for something that is in their employee handbook (even if they normally wouldn't), that isn't breaking FMLA rules.

It's been years since I've handled FMLA, but there is a lot of information online that might help you.

Is it possible to go back to being a customer service rep?

BusynMember

Yeah, theres over 50 employees, and it's a call center where I am a supervisor. And I've been here the longest and have always worked days, now they are hiring another sup to replace one that we just lost, and saying that we are going to have to start rotating our sch- which means I would work a week of 6-3,a week of 8-5 a week of 10-7 and a week of 1-10. Which I can not do with difficult child, right now I busting my behind to keep her routine as normal as possible. Not only that but they just approved for me to go back on 6-3 so that I can be home each afternoon with her. And now they are taking it all back. This week I was suppose to be on 6-3 and they told me Monday I would have to be 8-5, so that left us screwed with child care.
Not only that but I can't afford to quit right now, and I can't afford to pay someone to watch her either, and husband works nights. I am so overwhelmed anyways, and this is not helping. I really think that they are trying to get me to quit because of flma.

They may be. I had a company want me to quit once because of various personal issues and they didn't want to fire me outright because then I could collect unemployment. They never did fire me and I eventually found another job and did quit, but times were better back then. If you really can't afford to quit, heck, stay there and at least make them fire you so that you can collect unemployment. I had a friend who worked at Walmart and knew they were pushing her out, but she just showed up every day and did her job until they finally let her go. She was able to collect her unemployment. (((Hugs)))...I hate how many employers treat their employees, especially now. Good luck.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Teach your oldest to text and take 15 minute bathroom breaks. I learned this from the uber jealous SUPERVISOR that just turned me in and cost me my job for another "legitimate" reason. ROFLMpinkslipOff.

Star*

call 911........call 911
OHHHH and ps.....you have to "act" it out too - walk around "barfy" for a while, pretend like you are having gas pains, and grab your stomach, and ask for imodium, tell everyone "OMG it must have been something I ate." Make "UGGGGGGGG" noises, and say things like "OH wow - I should have just stayed home instead of being a loyal employee and coming in to work today." FOr COMPLETE dramatic effect you can dig around and look for a TUMS in your purse or carry a bottle of Imodium - OMG how often did I think this woman and her OTHER co-hort had diarrahea - like 3x a week? What a dingle I was. It also keeps you completely away from the bathroom because you think OH GOSH she's going to WANT?NEED privacy for the diarrahea. YEAH RIGHT - she got 15 minutes of uninterrupted TEXTING and phone time in a bathroom stall - I finally busted her cohort when I followed a customer in and she was in the stall "groaning" and looked bent down to see the stroller and children....and I stood in there to wash my hands - and she thought it was "all clear" and went back to talking. THEN I figured out why these women had such bad bowel problems so many times a week. GOLLY -

Nikki88

You all are fantastic!! Thanks for all the advice, I'm just going to wait it out, that's all I can do.
I am sure as heck not going to let them run me out of here. It just amazes me how uncaring people are. And I have a easy child - and I would have never treated anyone this way, even before we were dealing with our difficult child :sochildish: