I can't believe she's gone.

Jody

I really don't know what to do with myself right now. I am panicking. One of my best friends died on Thursday and I read about it in the newspaper. My kids don't have a blood grandma and so my friend Charlotte stood up and became their grandma. They are devastated. My little one had been texting her for the last weekend, and had gotten no response. She said I hope that Grandma is okay, she's not calling or texting me back. She had already died. She had pancreatic cancer. She was diagnosed last November. I had not seen her recently, but she was always cheerful and upbeat when we talked on the phone, said she was doing well and then I picked up the obituaries in our local paper and there is her picture. I can't believe we won't have anymore of our talks, or hear her crazy laugh anymore. Yesterday I could not cry, I think I was just shocked, today is different, I can't stop. Tomorrow is her funeral. She was 59 years old. I have 5 friends that I talk to a lot and 2 of them have died in the last year. I just need this to stop happening. I wish I had been able to say goodbye. I wish her husband had called me. His kids, kids are the only grandchildren that Charlotte had by marriage. Mine were by choice and it just never sat really well with him. They called him Grandpa too, but it was different. My youngest is devastated, she had asked me if we could go over on July 4th. I had told her no because I made plans with another friend after church. She never got to see her again. She's mad at me right now, for saying no. I know she'll get over it and she can be mad at me, but she'll come around eventually.

DDD

Jody, I'm so sorry for your loss. I can only imagine what a shock it must have been to find our via the newspaper. It will take time to assimilate her passing but I hope you will be able to focus on all the wonderful times you shared. Hugs. DDD

Mattsmom277

I'm so sorry :(. It must have been a shock to learn in that manner. I believe your daughters anger is natural, her emotions found an outlet this way and I too know she'll move past it and realize what she's really feeling is the pain of such a loss. Gentle hugs to you all. I'll be thinking of you all tomorrow for her service. I'm sorry you didn't get to see her that "one last time". From how you described the relationship, she knew of all of your love for her as it sounds you all know of her love for you all. Gramma's are special, and blood has no relevance much of the time.

Jody

Thank you so much. I talked to her husband and he was very kind and said that he tried to call me. I don't know if it's true or not but I just never got a call. He said he and Charlotte had just gotten back from Minneapolis and had seen all of her family and got to say goodbye and then she came home and on Tuesday and went into the hospital on Wednesday and died Thursday. I just really wish I had had a chance to say goodbye and give her a hug, I know it's not always possible but doesn't make me stop wishing it had been able to happen. I miss her so much, and just can't get over I'll never talk to her. I am sorry, that I am talking about this on here, but I really just need to talk about her.

TerryJ2

Ohhh, nooo ... I am so sorry.
That is so sad. And she was young.
I'm sorry about your daughter is so angry--I can understand that, from her point of view. But you never know what is going to happen day-to-day and you can't always stand on one foot while you're doing 20 other things. It will pass and she will forgive you.
I know what you mean about wishing you could have given your friend a hug and seeing her one more time.
Here's a cyber hug from Virginia. {{{{{{{ **** }}}}}}}}

Steely

I am so very sorry. I totally understand how you feel, it is devastating to not be able to say goodbye. I never got to do that with my sister - it was just she is missing, and then, she is dead. I lost my mind for awhile. However, the grief got better over time. But it takes --- time.

With my father's passing this March, I knew how horrible it was to not say goodbye, so I called everyone he loved and said if you want to say goodbye you must come NOW. Some of my relatives did not believe now was NOW - but his best friend did - and his nephew did. After his nephew gave him a hug goodbye, he died hours later. He held on for those 2 people - but there were many others that I am sure he said goodbye to in his own psyche and spirit - just like I am sure your friend did to you.

I always believed that my sister must have said goodbye to me as she was dying - and when I go to the place they found her - I feel it. The harder part is for me to say goodbye to her. That is the true challenge.

Many, many hugs - I know how hard this is. Hang on. Time will heal.

shellyd67

Oh Jody, how devasting. And to read about it in the obituaries. I am so sorry.

I lost my best friend very suddenly 9 1/2 years ago. My difficult child does not remember her and easy child never met her.

Just keep your wonderful memories of her alive for your girls.

Thoughts and Prayers to you and the girls... Shelly

M

ML

Oh Jody I am so very sorry to hear about your loss. Charlotte souns like a wonderful person. I'm glad you had her in your life, if even for a short time. Love, ML

SRL

I'm so sorry for your loss, and that you weren't informed as you should have been. I would have really struggled with that.

(((Hugs)))