I want to take him out of school

hersheyb79

My son is diagnosis'd DBD-not otherwise specified. He has been in school about 6 weeks now and in that time he's been suspended twice. He's in KINDERGARTEN. I'm being told he can't get an IEP because he's not delayed academically (that's what the school is telling me). I can't get him to behave, and each time his P-DR changes his medications he gets worse, not better.

The principal makes a point of counting down his "chances" left each time he needs to be removed from school. She also says things like "I want to work with him, but we are also required to follow the conduct code."

I don't think my 6yo should be allowed to roam the school halls punching whomever he feels like, but HELLO, he has a problem and as much as I'd like to fix him I can't...so don't they have to work with me? Pulling him out of school will not be a good situation for either of us, he needs to learn how to socialize with other kids and I NEED the 3 hour break from him :(

After his last suspension, the P-DR put him on depakote to accompany his resperidone. Since going on the depakote his behavior is worse. I don't know if it's too early to say it's not working or making him worse (it's been 12 days).

To pile onto all of this, our home school is a gifted & talented school that allows early access. So this means he has a bunch of braniac 4yos in his class. He's a HUGE 6yo (85% for height & weight)...so that means every time he loses it everyone else freaks out and gets super upset because it *looks* like this giant kid 2 years older than everyone else is a bully.

Ugh...I'm just so over all of this school ****. I wish I could just home school him and be done with the district. We're getting no help or understanding at all it feels like.

T

TeDo

Don't let them tell you he CAN'T get an IEP. He would automatically qualify under EBD for his behaviors alone. Most diagnoses will also qualify him. What you need to do immediately is write letter titled "request for evaluation for special education services". Put in the letter that you are requesting a complete evaluation for special education services including, but not limited to, psychological testing, academic testing, behavioral evaluations/observations, speech-language evaluation and occupational therapy evaluation. Send it to them Registered Mail with Return Receipt Requested. That starts a timeline they legally must follow to complete ALL the assessments and testing you are asking them to do.

There is a wonderful website about special education law that has been very helpful to most of us here. It's called Wright's Law. Check it out and become familiar with anything and everything you might need to know. You might also try to find an advocate to help you with all of this. He is entitled to a Free Appropriate Public Education (FAPE) under the IDEA law. You're right, you can't fix him. It is their job to educate him in whatever way is necessary. Also make sure you are in constant contact with his psychiatrist. medications are sooooo tricky.

Good luck and {{{{(((HUGS)))}}}} to you both.

L

Liahona

ok what does DBD stand for? If his behavior is making it so he or others in the class can't learn then he qualifies for an IEP. in my opinion, suspending a kindergartner at the beginning of the school year isn't a good sign of how co-operative the school is going to be. Make sure you or someone with you knows the law before you go to the IEP meeting or any meeting to review test results. NAMI might be a good place to find one.

buddy

ARRGGGGG I hate suspensions. I said it before and I will say it again. There is no research supporting that it is an effective tool for children with special needs (for most kids in fact...only those that are basically rule followers and get scared straight after a mistake). I am willing to bet there are several folks here who have had this experience like we have... Mine started in K too and last one was LAST FRIDAY!

Anyway, you said they told you he doesn't qualify for sp. ed. is that a guess from them or has he actually had an evaluation? If he has a diagnosis he does qualify under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) for a 504 plan. It would allow you to develop a behavior plan that has a positive approach.

All schools are guided to use positive behavior plans. Punishing behavior in a child who may not have the skill set to cope and use appropriate behavior is just plain silly. If he could improve with a threat of punishment, I'm guessing you would have had him fixed a long time ago, right?

I would ask in writing for an evaluation. In that case they will be mandated to respond in an prescribed amount of time. If you have an advocacy center in your area call them...they can guide you step by step. National organizations include ARC and you can call PACER (in MN but will tell you about your area and if there is a center in your area...their website has lots of easy to follow information...so does ARC)

Along with that if you can, push for more evaluations than the p doctor. Ask for a referral for a complete neuropsychologist, speech language, motor (gross and fine... if needed....Occupational Therapist (OT) does fine motor and sensory evaluations.

If the medications are making things worse, can you change docs? How long has this been going on? My son has been on medications that make things worse too. But he has also had huge success with others so it was worth finding the right docs. I have a team that calls eachother...a neurologist, dev. pediatrician who specializes in behavior issues, and a psychiatrist who only works with kids with complicated mixed disorders.

Are you sure of the diagnosis? What are his challenges?

So sorry you have to fight this. I would be thinking the same as you....is it even worth fighting this principal who doesn't seem to making any effort beyond this one punishment to help. (If I am understanding you right that is....)

hang tough...

This sounds terribly frustrating for you and for your son. I don't have particular experience with that learning issue, but we do have several kids each with different academic needs. I currently have one in a difficult college prep private school, one who doesn't do well in school (completely uninspired, hates the time-wasting, is very driven to do things outside of school, such as train horses and make money) so we homeschool her, and one is in a fantastic school specifically for special educational/behavioral needs. I did not find their individual learning needs were ever met in public school, not even the gifted ones, and we tried several -- Special Education clusters, gifted programs, neighborhood schools, IEP after IEP.
We have learned how to make use of scholarships.

What I am saying is that you shouldn't try too hard to be nice if the school isn't interested in helping. There may be a better option somewhere. Be assertive,get the services that you need, but it's okay at some point, to realize that this particular school might not work. I am all for finding a school that fits your child's needs. To me, when I hear, "I want to work with him, but..." that is always a sign that they don't really want to or know how to work with him. Our state has a scholarship that helps kids with IEP pay for a private school, or other public school that will help them. If you feel that they are not equipped to help your child, find another school who does know how to address his particular needs. I don't think you always have to settle, unless you live in a small area.

I am sure there are ways to advocate for getting a good IEP in place in this current school, and having legal representation to make sure his needs are met, but don't be as nice as I was about it. I was waaaayyy too sweet -- I just thought they were the experts and knew what they were doing and we had a lot of heartache and wasted time waiting for a school to accommodate our child.

We had several last straws -- one of them was when my son was in kindergarten and could barely understand anything that was being said -- he was not yet diagnosed, even though I was screaming at them that he had autism and needed to be tested. They had a field day towards the end of the school year. We live in a dangerously hot place. The teacher told all the kids to go to their backpacks, get out their bottled water and sunscreen, and line up to go outside. My son did not understand, it looked like he was not complying, so they let him go outside all day with no sunscreen and no water as his punishment. He was burned and dehydrated and sick when he got home. This was the beginning of my realizing that we had to shepherd most of his educational issues ourselves, as that school, as well as other public ones we tried, didn't work for us.

Keep us posted.

buddy

He would automatically qualify under EBD for his behaviors alone.
In our state even with a diagnosis or the behaviors, he would still need the evaluation but the behaviors and diagnosis described would certainly make the standarized behavior rating scales qualify him along with the sections that say it must interfere with his or other students' school progress, and be seen at home, and be shown to have been a pattern for 6 or more months. School progress definately includes social progress, so if he is so different from his peers in behavior it would be another check in his favor (that is for qualifying for an IEP). And then, he must have a functional behavior assessment along which will guide them to a plan that must be focused on POSITIVE behavioral methods.
I agree, I sure hope how this principal is behaving doesn't mean there will be a hard time following sp. needs law....You have rights here, esp. since he has a known diagnosis. Again, not sure if you are positive about what is going on with him but it is important for him to be evaluated both there and in the private sector.

hersheyb79

ok what does DBD stand for? If his behavior is making it so he or others in the class can't learn then he qualifies for an IEP. in my opinion, suspending a kindergartner at the beginning of the school year isn't a good sign of how co-operative the school is going to be. Make sure you or someone with you knows the law before you go to the IEP meeting or any meeting to review test results. NAMI might be a good place to find one.

DBD-not otherwise specified is Disruptive Behavior Disorder Not otherwise specified (such a gem right...who would want the kid labeled DISRUPTIVE in their class). The way I understand it, it's the diagnosis that ODD & ADHD fall under.

As for the accuracy of the diagnosis...I have no clue. He fits every criteria for ODD, but his P-DR won't diagnosis him that way (I don't know why).

When I asked about an IEP the school psychiatrist said there was no point in requesting one, because he needs to be behind academically, and he's not (yet, falling behind pretty quickly). She also told me it wouldn't offer him any extra protection for his violent behavior, because "violence is violence and it doesn't matter if it's part of his diagnosis or not."

Is that not true? Again, I don't want him hitting kids every time he is upset, but he needs WAY more help than he's getting. He did well his last year in preschool, but he had a 1 on 1 aid, in Kindergarten they are giving him 10 minutes to go jump on a trampoline and allowing him to come to school 10 minutes early.

buddy

When I asked about an IEP the school psychiatrist said there was no point in requesting one, because he needs to be behind academically, and he's not (yet, falling behind pretty quickly). She also told me it wouldn't offer him any extra protection for his violent behavior, because "violence is violence and it doesn't matter if it's part of his diagnosis or not."
I am suspecting this of not being true....Here is why... Academic progress in EBD can include social progress. It sounds like you have plenty of that. Heck their own intervention is supporting that. State Criteria is derived from Federal Rules so even if we are in different states I would say that your state will be similar to ours so I will attach criteria for EBD (again that is assuming we are not looking at high functioning Autism or ADHD or something else because that would take a complete evalution) and with all due respect to the psychiatrist, they do not know everything. Without a full evaluation of his learning style and subtle language learning issues he/she can't know if something is going on. It will at the very least give you a baseline and document a concern about special needs which can be very important if they ever say he needs to be kicked out. I am only going by what you posted here so this obviously can't be an official opinion, but sure sounds like he would qualify and the staff is either not fully informed about how he could benefit (trying to give them the benefit of the doubt) OR they dont want to have to do all of the work it takes under the law. That is why if you request in writing they will be obligated to respond. Now, to be clear, no parent can demand an evaluation. and for sure get one...though they should. There has to be a team decision, but they must respond and show a really good reason why not (and in this case you would win that argument).
Given their attitude, is there a charter school or some other more flexible school around?

See if this takes you to MN Emotional/Behavior Disorders....feel free to ask terminology questions after you peek
https://www.revisor.mn.gov/rules/?id=3525.1329
I'm sure there is something similar in your state under the state dept. of education.

L

Liahona

The diagnosis sounds like it is one that says there is something wrong but we don't know what it is. I have heard that the ODD diagnosis comes with a stigma in the schools and they become very heavy handed and punitive. Does P-DR stand for psychiatrist or pediatrician? In order to find out what is wrong you need to do a whole lot of testing. Have you already done the neuropsychologist, Occupational Therapist (OT), Speech Language Pathologist (SLP), testing?

Nope, not true. My son is actually ahead of his peers academically or in his worst subjects right on grade level with them. I got him a 504 and then an IEP based on his behavior disrupting the learning of the other students.

Violence is violence but how it is handled by the school depends on what the diagnosis is. Suppose a child is throwing desks; not a good behavior and should not happen. Without an IEP the child would be suspended. With an IEP the school team sits down to find out why the child was throwing desks and what could be done so it doesn't happen again. Child might still be suspended. BUT, with an IEP the school can only suspend a child for 10 days before the appropriateness of the child's placement in that school is called into question. School districts don't like to pay for different placement so suspensions for a child with an IEP aren't handed out as often.

T

TeDo

As for the accuracy of the diagnosis...I have no clue. He fits every criteria for ODD, but his P-DR won't diagnosis him that way (I don't know why).

You don't want him to. Most of us here agree that ODD is a catchall diagnosis for "he doesn't do what he's told but we don't know why". There is SOMETHING going on and it sounds like you need a thorough evaluation by a neuropsychologist ASAP. Check with children's hospitals and university (teaching) hospitals in your area to find one. Can you describe some of the specific behaviors your son displays as well as any precipitating factors? Even explaining one incident in detail from before the behavior to his complete reaction might help us advise you better.

That is horse-pucky. Don't listen to a word they are saying. They just want him out so they don't have to deal with him. It will take work and money on their part to help him and they don't want to. Get that request for an evaluation in the mail ASAP before they do any more damage to him. I just went through eerily similar stuff (as far as SD responses) and you don't what your son to go through what my son went through. If a 1:1 aide worked last year then that is what I would fight like h$%^ for. Don't let them off the hook that easily. They will keep sending him home until you "cry uncle" and pull him out. Mission accomplished. Sorry, but this is really striking a personally emotional chord with me.

More {{{{(((HUGS)))}}}} to you both. If you want I can loan you my "armor".
:warrior:

InsaneCdn

Wondering...
Who did the original diagnosis and when?

One diagnosis describes behavior and doesn't give any clues as to what is actually going on.
The other diagnosis is common enough that if it was "all" that is going on, the behavior likely would NOT be so extreme.

I'm going to give you two possible scenarios. There could easily be a dozen more, but this is just to get you thinking.

1) Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) or something related to that. These kids have can have extreme issues and extreme reactions to stuff. Very hard to handle if you (parent, teacher, anybody) don't know what is going on - partly because the "normal" way to handle this stuff, is the absolute wrong way to handle an Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) kid.

2) A raft of "smaller" issues that, when taken together, are enough to drive anybody around the bend. Because these are invisible, or hard to test for, or don't really hit the radar until they are older... everybody assumes the kid's problems are the result of "poor parenting". NOT. NOT. NOT. (been there done that - can you tell?)

Now, the interesting thing is, many of these smaller issues may be part of Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) - or not. Other things are stand-alone problems that may exist with a raft of other possible dxes.

My take?
Get as complete an evaluation as it is possible to get.
Including separate Occupational Therapist (OT) and Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) evaluations.
And find a way to get it done yesterday (only partly kidding... not possible, but you do NOT want to take 2 years to get there).

Here's some of the things I'd be asking myself about... and if they kind of fit or might be a possibility, insist that these be included in the evaluations...

1) hearing
2) vision
3) sensory issues (Occupational Therapist (OT))
4) motor skills issues - fine, gross, or both (Occupational Therapist (OT))
5) verbal processing issues and/or auditory processing disorders - probably can't get a complete diagnosis at this point (usually about age 7 or 8), BUT... Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) screening is vital, whether they find stuff or not. For example, if his language development is fairly close to "normal", there could still be problems handling background noise and other such things. But if language development shows problems... Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) therapy is a must.
6) learning disabilities... don't necessarily show up strongly now, but will shortly. Dyslexia? dysgraphia? dyscalcula? others? Keep these on the radar, even if they can't test for them right now.
7) sleep issues - does he go to sleep "as soon as he hits the pillow"? or "take forever"? (problem either way)... Dark circles? Sleep issues are not taken seriously yet - but if these are a factor, at least YOU need to know, and start trying to find ways to help. Not just quantity of sleep, but also quality - enough REM cycles and so on. Remember: sleep deprivation is a form of torture.
8) Other medical issues... if their system is out of whack, it will affect behavior. Thyroid? any chance of diabetes? there's a raft of other medical reasons for behavior issues. These would be taken up with the pediatrician. or PCP.
9) comprehensive evaluation by specialist such as neuropsychologist (there are other options) - looking at anything and everything else possible to explain what is going on right now. Any chance of mood disorder? (seriously - if other un-diagnosed issues are outstanding, kids this young can have serious anxiety and/or depression as a result of not having their needs met). ADHD/ADD. Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD). Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). Aspergers. And a raft of other stuff. diagnosis, or flag for future rulings.

Head spinning yet? I know. Its huge. There are SO many possibilities. How can you ever keep track of it all? If you go up to Site Help and Resources, there's a thread on how to put together a parent report (not called exactly that...). Its worth it.

School evaluations are not generally thorough, but can catch some stuff.
Mostly - get what makes sense there, and get the rest on your own.

And when you start going around the bend with all this stuff... the rest of us are here.
Need a knot? someone has one to spare.
Need a soft shoulder? Lots of those, too.
Need to borrow some psychological armour for the battle? Yup. From the been there done that Parents.

Hang in there.

flutterby

Fly away!
He absolutely does NOT have to be behind academically in order to get an IEP. IDEA 2004 specifically states that a child does not have to fail before receiving services. If the child has a disorder that interferes with his education, he should qualify for an IEP. My daughter tests above average and/or gifted in all subject areas except math and she has an IEP. Wright's Law is a good website. There is also a lot of information in the SpEd Archives on this board.

I would go for an IEP and not a 504. 504 plans don't have any teeth and can't be enforced. You're going to have to educate yourself on the law. Don't expect the SD to do what they are legally required to do. If they think they can get away with it, they will. You may want to look into getting a parent advocate.

You need to send a letter - there is sample letter attached - certified mail with return receipt. It starts the clock, as they have a timeline to follow by federal law. FWIW, most of us here have found school psychologists to be utterly lacking. I believe they only need a bachelor's degree and have no clinical experience.

Sample letters:
http://www.conductdisorders.com/for...ividualized-education-program-evaluation-420/

IEP's for Children with Behavior Disorders
http://www.wrightslaw.com/howey/iep.special.factors.htm

keista

He fits every criteria for ODD, but his P-DR won't diagnosis him that way (I don't know why).
This Dr is VERY smart! I like him/her already. Yes, he fits the criteria for ODD, but so do many other kids with dxs ranging from adhd, anxiety, autism, sensory integration disorder, the list just goes on and on. The ODD label provides very little information for treatment. It is behavioral in nature as opposed to biological.

That school psychiatrist is LYING to you. Schools do not like to do 504s or IEPs. It costs them time and money. They are required by law to provide them, they are not required to make it easy for parents to get them. Send your request in writing as suggested above.

Also, absolutely, positively stick it out with the school until you get an IEP or at least a 504. As Otto mentioned, there are often scholarships available. Here, too, (although I *think* Otto is in the same state as me) kids with IEPs and 504s are offered scholarship money that they can use at private schools, but this ONLY kicks in once the IEP or 504 is in place.

And, sweetie, homeschooling is always an option, but make sure you've got other respite set up. We Warrior Moms can put up with pretty much anything, but we still need to get a break. Don't cut off your nose to spite your face. Know what I mean??

flutterby

Fly away!
As far as ODD, most of us here, and every mental health professional I've talked to (which is a lot) don't consider ODD to be a useful diagnosis, as they consider it to be more of a basket of symptoms rather than a cause.

I imagine he has a diagnosis of DBD-not otherwise specified because of his age. I expect it will change as he gets older. Sometimes because of insurance reasons, they can't call it what they really think it is because of age requirements in the DSM-IV, but treat it accordingly. Depakote is a mood stabilizer used to treat bipolar disorder.

buddy

Also, absolutely, positively stick it out with the school until you get an IEP or at least a 504

I agree, but I was just saying if there are any open enrollment options in other in public schools which still have to do the IEP assessment and service process that maybe that might be an option. i had my son i a charter school (these are also public schools required to follow due process to assess for and create IEP's) in another city when we got his autism diagnosis. they had a much better understanding of his needs even before the iep was written and that is why i chose them to do the assessment and iep....way better than staying in the school district we lived in where we were having horrible service delivery after early childhood.

InsaneCdn

I imagine he has a diagnosis of DBD-not otherwise specified because of his age. I expect it will change as he gets older. Sometimes because of insurance reasons, they can't call it what they really think it is because of age requirements in the DSM-IV, but treat it accordingly. Depakote is a mood stabilizer used to treat bipolar disorder.

But there are many other not otherwise specified dxes that might fit too... we've seen Mood Disorder not otherwise specified, Anxiety Disorder not otherwise specified, Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified, etc. Surely there is a way to be just enough more specific that its a clue to schools and others who are dealing with the child?

flutterby

Fly away!
As far as getting the IEP, as long as he has a diagnosis that is in the DSM-IV, and it interferes with his education, he should qualify for an IEP. I certainly think it should be investigated further, but I don't want mom to wait on the IEP while doing so. I also really think his age is driving the diagnosis. The amount of time he's been seeing a psychiatrist will play a role, too. If he hasn't been a patient for very long, the psychiatrist may still be feeling things out.

susiestar

Roll With It
Some info and advice from the been there done that school of experience:

Look through the sp ed 101 archives of this forum for a boilerplate letter (one where you fill in names, etc....) to request and IEP for your son. Given his problems, do NOT settle for a 504. They can be great IF the school wants to follow them, but you cannot enforce them in court. The request for IEP MUST be sent via certified mail, return receipt to the school. Why? It puts in place a timeline that CAN be enforced in court. It PROVES that they got the letter and on what date, and they have a set number of days (calendar days NOT school days - common school district game but the law is calendar days no matter WHAT they tell you) to do the evaluation and have the IEP date.

Sending the letter also gives your son the protection of an IEP until the date they deny it. He gets the protections right then and they CANNOT suspend him for more than 10 days with-o a meeting to decide if he will be better served in another setting. Your son has the RIGHT to FAPE in LRE. That is free and appropriate public education in the least restrictive environment. If he needs sp ed, it is NOT based on his grades but on his overall needs. PERIOD.

Schools will tell you all sorts of lies and half truths. Some administrators believe them, as do some teachers. But the laws are the laws and you CAN fight them. The sp ed part of this board is a GOLDMINE of info and help, as are the archives. If you post over on that board the moderator and some others who are there a lot will give very specific advice. The wrightslaw website is also a goldmine and their forums are usually extremely helpful.

Get ALL the private evaluations put in writing. School evaluations often do NOT identify things because if they identify them then they have to treat them and it costs $$$ and requires them to remember that your son has rights and you won't let them use his handicaps against him. Also begin a Parent Report. The link in my signature will take you to the thread in the archive about Parent Reports. It is a report that you create that has ALL the info about him in one place. Don't share it all with school because they don't need it all and chances are you will end up regretting it for one or another reason. But they DO need his diagnosis, reports from dr, neuropsychologist, developmental pediatrician, Occupational Therapist (OT), PT, speech pathologist, audiologist, etc..... Yes, it is expensive and sometimes a PITA to get all of these done. It is also worth it. For example, a school Occupational Therapist (OT) will look ONLY at ways Occupational Therapist (OT) issues impact education. Private Occupational Therapist (OT) evaluation sees how it impacts his entire life, and gives a diagnosis based on that. I have very little faith in school evaluations because so many of us have had them say our kids were fine, were just choosing to misbehave but private evaluations then found profound problems that with-o treatment would result in no chance for school success at all.

YOU are part of the IEP meeting with as much say as any other member. There is no IEP meeting with-o you unless you choose to not be there (not likely). They must send you notice of the meeting, and I think it has to arrive 10 days before unless you waive notice to have a meeting sooner. You do NOT have to agree wth the IEP at the meeting. They may push you to sign, saying you can change it later. They may tell you that you have to sign before you leave. They are wrong. You DO have to sign a form that says you are at the meeting and looking at the records, but you can take the IEP home and think about it or discuss it with someone if you want. Learn your rights and don't let them push you or difficult child around.

This school may not be the best placement for him. I would not have watned my 6 yo in a class with 4 yos, personally. Too much difference in maturity, just too big a spectrum for the kids to be on. then the size difference is probably feeding perceptions of your son as a "bad" or "mean" kid. But he is the right age for kdg, and for most kids 4 just isn't ready. If a teacher had to try to handle kids from 4 to 6 yrs, well, it seems like a nightmare to me, from every perspective.

You CAN homeschool him. Google to find the laws on homeschooling for your state. Will it be better? I can't say. How much do you know about homeschooling? What is your work schedule like? Do you have someone to give you a break from him on a regular basis, or will you be with him 24/7? Can you afford to homeschool him? It isn't necessarily expensive, but you do have to have an income to run a household.

I have homeschooled 2 of my 3 kids at different times. Usually only one of them, and for different reasons. My daughter is homeschooling high school because we cannot get a grip on health problems. Wiz was homeschooled because the school staff/teachers drove him to try to kill himself. He went back to school after we moved, and then was in an amazing sp ed program for a year iwth the most awesome staff.

Why not go talk to the sp ed teachers at the schools in your area? Not just your home school because iwth an IEP you won't necessarily be stuck there. You will have OPTIONS. We never found private school to be a real option for our kids. Private schools do NOT have to follow IEPs. They may choose to do so, but you won't have the law to force them if they refuse. Maybe if you have the system Kiesta is in you will, but that is NOT most states.

Read some books on homeschooling if you are serious. I would still try to get an IEP because it can be grueling for mom and child to homeschool, esp if there are a lot of problems. Check out homeschool groups in your area - they can be an amazing help. Be sure to read Lost at School as it may help you find ways for your son to be successful at school.

I am not saying don't homeschool, but think about it and do some research. Also follow your instincts - the times I made the really BIG mistakes iwth my kids all happened when that little voice inside said one thing and I did another. Mommy instinct is there to make sure your child survives to adulthood - don't ignore it!

As for the depakote, chances are that it is NOT working. Dosage must be titrated up to a therpeutic level slowly, which can take weeks or months, and once at that level it takes six weeks for the drug to take full effect. Before the dose is high enough and has been in his system enough, you won't know if it will work. Some of the best medication explanations and advice I ever found were in The Bipolar Child by Papalous - and my child is not bipolar.

I hope this helps some! Schools are not right for every kid, and neither is homeschooling. The trick is to figure out what works for each child!

susiestar

Roll With It
I just saw the part about "violence is violence".. It is a lie. They MUST hold him to a different standard if the behaviors are a manifestation of his disability. That is the LAW.

buddy

Get ALL the private evaluations put in writing. School evaluations often do NOT identify things because if they identify them then they have to treat them and it costs $$$ and requires them to remember that your son has rights and you won't let them use his handicaps against him.

Just my perspective, because there are certainly some jerks out there...
I dont want newbies to Special Education to think all people who serve them dont want to because of money....Most people go into special education, speech/lang pathology, Occupational Therapist (OT), PT etc. because they really do enjoy helping and want to help. Assessments are done with a sincere effort to find out what is going on. I have literally never heard a single co-worker, and I can say for myself I have never even once thougth of money when doing any assessment. (20+ years of experience). We wouldn't have jobs without the sp. ed. kids and have the same frustrations as parents regarding criteria cut offs etc. The teachers in the trenches do not care about the school district finances (at least where I come from, and anyone I have talked to in other settings).
That said, administrators and Special Education coordinators DO have to think of the bottom line and I have experienced that sometimes getting past them to the direct assessors and providers can be a stumbling block. Even so, I have met many many a sp. ed coordinator that is on the same page, and very often sp. ed people and gen ed people see an issue and it is a huge struggle (for legitimate reasons, it is very hard to accept such things) to get the parents on board.

My son's current teacher has spent lots of personal monies on him...for specialized reinforcers that she has even given to the bus folks. She even called me one Sunday to ask us to meet at school before he went for another 3 day seizure evaluation...she had a huge goodie bag for him to help pass the time.

I am not defending jerks or terrible school systems. Just dont want anyone to think that all the sp. ed. folks are motivated by district funding...most in the trenches dont even give it a thought until contract negotiation time, smile!