I'm a little overwhelmed

Jena

hi

so im feeling a little overwhelmed by work right now. Typical I know, I'm new alot of info.

To be honest it's the stories, my new cases a few are ok not so bad. Yet a few are pretty severe stuff, stuff that makes you have to take a deep breath, things i've never heard of before or seen or known of stuff. I've heard of alot.

Apparently the program is booming, and there's a wait list. So, it's go go go time for me. I'm going to my first at home visit tmrw with the team leader so she can introduce me and I can get going on the case.

I have to be honest, i feel like a fish out of water here. I know I keep telling myself in time I'll feel comfortable yet I take nothing lightly when it comes to assisting others and this is alot more than I thought it would be.

I figured fighting docs, getting scripts, school fights, etc. yet it's a whole lot more. It's me with the mom or dad or whomever foster parents in my cases and the other person with the child and team leader we just report to and does the reports. it is well organized and stuff. Yet its like i said overwhelming.

I just really really had to vent tonight. I got home and fought difficult child on hw she melted down tonight it was due to happen shes' been hanging in. Toys r us forever to exchange gifts i promised her, than dinner and now im just like done.

This is why they give so much flex time. To keep our minds well. I go over the charts in detail tmrw and get the total background.

ok thanks for listening to me go on. I'm not complaining i just had to share and get it out.

trinityroyal

Jen, don't feel bad that you're feeling overwhelmed. It's only natural.

You're in a new job, and it always takes several weeks to find your feet. On top of that, you're in a new career field, with all of the ins and outs to learn. AND, pile on top of that the fact that your clients consist of families in trouble with heartbreaking stories, painful situations, and battles to fight, with all that entails. Not easy stuff.

AND...difficult child is having to adjust to your being away from home too! Your basket is FULL.

Be gentle with yourself, and expect that it will take at least 4 weeks before you feel like you're getting the hang of things, and at least 3 or 4 months before you feel like you own the job. You're doing great!

Hang in there.

Trinity

M

ML

((((((((((((((Jen))))))))))))))))) It will definitely get easier. Just be patient with everyone: boyfriend, difficult child and especially yourself. How is your cold?

ctmom05

Jen,

Probably one of the reasons you feel so overwhelmed is that you know how difficult it can be to be the parent of a young person with behavioral health challenges.

Your life experience is going to be your biggest asset here. Mesh that with learning the ropes and you've got a winner!

Re-read the advice the others have given you, it's all right on. Each day that goes by you will find you have learned something about what is expected of you in this position and thigs will fall into place.

Do the best you can to take care of yourself as you go thru this transition phase, that's super important.

Wishing you the best...........

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Give yourself 90 days. It takes me that long to get used to the lingo, the physical environment, and the *essence* of the place to have even a glimpse of what's up and what's down.

Deep breaths.

Hugs,
Suz

Andy

My first real full time permanent job - my supervisor was off on sick leave so someone else kind of trained me in. When my supervisor returned, he called me into his office to go over my position description. I was 20 years old fresh out of Votech. I left the office thinking, "You have got the wrong person. How can I ever full fill these duties? It is so much!" However, the supervisor was a wise and wonderful person. He told me that he did not expect me to be an expert overnight, that it would take a very long time to really understand the ins and outs of the position. He was so right. I was given the freedom to set up the process in the way that worked best for me. Doing things your own way also helps you be successful.

No one is an expert overnight. You will obtain experience. You do have the special strength this job needs.

maril

Best wishes with your new job. Hopefully, when the dust settles, you'll be breathing a sigh of relief; takes time, as you well know. ;)

It sounds like you're being extra attentive to your daughter, and I am sure she appreciates that.