Ins. Question

pasajes4

My adult son is still on my medical insurance. I was contacted by a social worker from a hospital where my son is currently living to verify his identity. He was taken to the hospital in a semi lucid state. That is all I know. I will not be given anymore information. His ins. info comes up in the state system because of his stint at the state hospital. Those of you who have adult kids, and have been through this, did you get billed for their treatment. I did not sign or give verbal financial guarantee as the payee. Any info will be appreciated.

TheWalrus

I Am The Walrus
In my state, no. As long as he is an adult (over 18). When we went through it, even though we signed for medical procedures as our daughter was physically unable, we were not financially responsible. As long as you don't sign for financial responsibility, you should be fine. However, he should have a case manager at the hospital you could speak to, or you could call the billing department of the hospital for any questions you have.

New Leaf

Hi Pas, I am so sorry to read this. Prayers for your son....My Hoku is still under our insurance, but all bills are in her name....
(((HUGS)))
leafy

pasajes4

Thank you New Leaf. His friend called me. It would seem that my son has been drugging it up pretty hard. Like so many others on this board, I hope yhis is a wakeup call for him. I am not holding my breath.

New Leaf

It would seem that my son has been drugging it up pretty hard. Like so many others on this board, I hope this is a wakeup call for him. I am not holding my breath.
I am sorry Pas, this is your 34 year old? Clean for 10 years and graduated as an RN. This is sad. Addiction sucks, it really does......
leafy

Albatross

Thank you New Leaf. His friend called me. It would seem that my son has been drugging it up pretty hard. Like so many others on this board, I hope yhis is a wakeup call for him. I am not holding my breath.
I am so sorry, Pasajes. I totally understand not holding your breath as you watch it play out again and again, like so many of us on this board have done. I am hoping that this is the one where something clicks for him.

From what I understand, we do not assume financial responsibility for an adult's uncovered medical costs, even though they are listed on our policy.

pasajes4

New leaf it is my youngest son. He has been partying it up since he moved to dallas. My oldest relapsed got back on track and is doing well.

Childofmine

one day at a time
Pas, I am sorry and I pray this is his wake up call. I have not been responsible for any of my sons medical bills and his dad hasn't either, even when he was on his dad's insurance. Please keep us posted. Hugs tonight.

pasajes4

It sounds so cold to be concerned about the financial end of it. I literally just paid off all of the medical bills he incurred from thecyears andcyears hospitalizations and paying restitution for his shenanigans when he was a minor. His last hospitalization was covered by a special fund through the teaching hospital. At 62 i need to not go bankrupt due to his poor choices.

New Leaf

It sounds so cold to be concerned about the financial end of it.
No, no, no, you are being mean to yourself. Not cold, Pas, REAL. You are being real, and that is GOOD.

At 62 i need to not go bankrupt due to his poor choices.
Amen to that.
Yes you do not need to go bankrupt.
We have given all we have to raise our children, and then some.
It is enough, more than enough.
I do not think it sounds cold, at all. I think it is smart.
leafy

SeaGenieTx

Pasajes4 so sorry to hear this. My prayers go out to you he will be OK and get the help he needs. You are not cold being concerned about the medical costs. This should not fall on your shoulders anymore - I'd damn sure check with the hospital just in case!

Lil

Oh Pas, I'm so sorry. I'd hoped he was getting his life straightened out.

You aren't mean, or selfish, or anything else you can call yourself for thinking about the money. You wouldn't be a human being if you weren't concerned about it. No, you shouldn't get a bill. He's over 18 and it would actually violate HIPAA to send you bills. Your responsibility ends with the insurance premium.

Big Hugs...thinking of you.

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
Oh Pasa, I'm so sorry. Getting that phone call and then finding out that he's been drugging is the pits!!

I agree with what others have said, as long as he's 18 and you have not signed to be financially responsible then the bills are on him. I agree with @TheWalrus that contacting a hospital case worker is a good idea.

It sounds so cold to be concerned about the financial end of it.
No, it does not sound cold at all. It sounds responsible which is a very good place to be.

I literally just paid off all of the medical bills he incurred from thecyears andcyears hospitalizations and paying restitution for his shenanigans when he was a minor.
You have done your tour of duty when it comes to paying for your sons choices. You do not need to go back for a second tour.

At 62 i need to not go bankrupt due to his poor choices.
Bravo!! You need to take care of yourself.

((HUGS)) to you...................

pasajes4

I just received a call from the hospital bus. office wanting to know how I wanted to pay his bill. I verrrrrry politely told them that I was not paying his bill. I did not authorize treatment. I was not consulted when they decided to transfer him to a drug program within the hospital. That they needed to work it out with him.

Lil

I just received a call from the hospital bus. office wanting to know how I wanted to pay his bill.

:wow: I'm flabbergasted. Really. When my son had a medical bill I wanted to pay, the office wouldn't even verify to me how much the bill was! I finally said, "I believe it to be $19.35. Will $19.35 be sufficient to pay the bill?"

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
I wonder if your son told them to bill you?? Not his place to do that.

Glad you told them they would have to work it out with him.

TheWalrus

I Am The Walrus
Wow...I am flabbergasted. My adult daughter has been on my insurance (and will remain as long as I can legally keep her there, as it is one "little" thing I can do for her) and I have never received a bill or a call asking for payment on her behalf. All I get are monthly statements from my insurance company that shows what doctor she visited, when, how much was billed, how much insurance paid, and how much the patient "may owe." I never actually receive anything from any doctor's offices or actual bills - they all go to her in her name.

When she had her major accident and we had to sign for procedures, her case worker was the one who told us that she was financially responsible for all care because she was over 18, even though she was on our policy. It was a huge relief as her cost of care would have bankrupted us. We are still financially digging out of what it cost from loss of work, lodging, food, etc., as she was sent quite far from us and was in such bad physical and psychological states that we could not leave her for quite some time.

I would in NO WAY think it makes you "cold" to worry about who is financially responsible. Whether our adult children are completely unaware of the financial repercussions or truly just don't care, they would strip us of everything we spend our lives working for if we don't at some point say "enough."

svengandhi

Technically, hippa bars disclosure of medical info of anyone over 18. However, the person can sign for you to get access. H has signed, as have all 4 of my adult children. I receive the eobs and can access their bills. I haven't tried to access records. I pay the copays for the boys. My daughter quit a 50k plus teaching job to work for nothing as a volunteer. I put her back on the insurance but I insist that she cover her copay and out of pocket because I want her to understand that there are consequences to leaving well paying unionized jobs.