interesting comment - your thoughts?

Mom2oddson

easy child shared with me a quote that he liked. Don't know where he heard it, but it was thought provoking.

Think about how hard it is to change something about yourself....then realize what little chance you have of changing someone else.

All I keep thinking is "I have a terrible time changing myself, no wonder I can't change the difficult children or the in-laws....

N

Nomad

Awesome AND interesting.
You really can't change anyone else. You can only change yourself.
At best, you might be of influence. You might be an example. These are limited best case scenarios.
If the person WANTS to change, then they might be open for suggestion. However, the bottom line is that if and when want change, then they will be the ones who make the decision to listen to your suggestions, etc.
Sometimes we can show a person the pros and cons of a decision and help them personally tip the balance toward change. Or sometimes life tips the balance for them and they are forced to see the benefits of change. In any case, it is a difficult process. They at least have to be willing to take a look at the situation. And in the end, again, each individual has to make a personal decision for change.
This is something I have thought about a lot.
We are our choices....
and
It's choice not chance that determines our destiny.

KTMom91

My 13-year-old niece has the following quote on her Facebook profile..."You change yourself, and I'll change me."