It's official - husband lost his job

goldenguru

Hubby knew that he couldn't yet handle the rigors of full time work, deadlines, office politics. Not to mention the extra 2 hours per day required for the commute.

His boss was pressuring him to get back - ASAP - as 'they were getting buried in work'.

Hubby offered to work from home. It was a very feasible plan. We have the correct equipment, software, fax line, etc.

His boss called today and refused. I wish his boss could have tried to be just a little accommodating. Hubby has been a productive, and valuable employee. A little loyalty would have been nice from Mr. Boss Man.

This is a huge blow to hubbies ego.

What really steams me is that if hubby had suffered a stroke, or a massive coronary, people would understand better. But a suicide attempt? Chronic clinical depression? People don't get it. They don't understand that mental health issues are as debilitating as any physical ailment.

So I'm angry. I'm scared. I'm hurt for hubby. But, mostly, I'm angry. :mad:

DazedandConfused

What you write is true. Had it been cancer, Mr. Boss probably would have been much more accomodating. What a blow at such a delicate time.

(((hugs)))

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I am so sorry, GG. I have to agree that if it had been something other than a suicide attempt, Mr. Boss Man would have been more accommodating to you and your H. What an awful man. I would like to be able to say that it may have been out of hands to extend another offer, but from what you wrote, it sounds as if he is in a position to make that call.

How is your H handling this? {{hugs}}

susiestar

Roll With It
I am so sorry. I would be angry also. You may want to contact a labor attorney, as this may not be legal. Your husband has a recognized medical problem, and firing him rather than making reasonable accommodations may be a violation of his rights. Not sure if you want to look into that or not, but thought I would mention it.

Sending gentle hugs to you and your husband.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
GG, I was thinking the same thing Susie mentioned. Call the local Labor Relations Board to see if there is any kind of protection for your husband.

That really stinks. Shame on his boss.

Suz

trinityroyal

GG, I'm with the others. I think a call to a Labour lawyer is in order.

What a rotten boss. So sorry that your husband is having to deal with this. You have every right to be angry.

Trinity

CrazyinVA

Staff member
I'm so sorry. The stigma of mental illness rears its ugly head once again. Talk about hitting a man when he is down.

Hugs.

goldenguru

Thanks for the encouragement friends.

Thanks for the links. Once the emotional dust settles, we are going to discuss this.

Now that my head is slightly clearer, I do think this is more than 'insensitive'. This may be injustice, it might even be illegal.

I'll keep ya'll updated. Again, thanks.

B

bran155

I am so sorry. We just went through that. My husband worked for a company for 8 years as a salesman. He was number 2 out of over 600 employees. Made this company millions!!! Right before the holidays he was fired. I know how hard it is to start over. Poor hubby!!! :(

Hang in there, something better will come along. :)

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
gg I'm so sorry. That really reeks. And I'm not so sure it's legal either. Doesn't hurt to check it out.

(((hugs)))