Just got back

Wiped Out

Staff member
from spending three days and two nights at a local hospital. I woke up in the about 2:30 Sunday morning and started getting sick. By 6:30 in the morning I told husband to drive me to the emergency room. I think I waited too long. We still had relatives over and I was hoping to wait for immediate care to open at 9:00 to avoid the $75 er visit but with my Addison's knew it was finally time to go.

Even the anti nausea medications and ivs weren't enough help and they decided to check me in. Turns out I ended up with crytosporidium (sp?). Who knows where I picked it up. easy child and husband both got it too (at least I'm assuming that is what it was) and so did others I know but, of course, with my Addison's I ended up with the worst of it.

They had a really hard time getting my potassium levels up (and never got them quite where they wanted them but close enough). I'm suppose to drink a lot of juice (she didn't say what kind) to help with the potassium.

For now I'm on a bland diet and increased hydrocortisone for a few days. I'm going to try to go back to work tomorrow.

I want to try and catch up with everyone and their posts but it may be awhile (we're also having computer problems). In a bit I'm heading off to bed-didn't sleep well last night at all-I think because Sunday I slept almost all day and nice once the anti nausea stuff did finally kick in.

Jena

Sharon,

I'm so sorry, how horrible. Wow. So, how are you feeling now?? do you think your really ready to go back to work???

klmno

I was wondering where you were, too. I'm so sorry to hear that you had to be in the hospital. You've had so much to deal with lately, I'm not surprised too much caught up with you. I think bananas are supposed to be a good source of potassium, but I'm no dr. I hope you're feeling better soon- but going back to work tomorrow might be pushing it a bit too fast- you think? Take care of yourself!! You can't help anyone else if you don't!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
ORANGE JUICE... drink lots of orange juice for the potassium. My dad just got out of the hospital because of very low potassium levels caused by diuretics he was on.

Did they tell you to just drink the juice or are you on a potassium supplement as well?

Cryptosporidium is usually transmitted through a contaminated water source. Here's the CDC write-up:

http://www.cdc.gov/crypto/

Do you drink well water? Or perhaps someone came into contact with a farm animal that had it and maybe didn't wash their hands thoroughly before handling food that was served?

Hope you feel better soon!

Andy

I am glad you are home and feeling much better. I hope you have a very good rest tonight. Take it easy for a few more days.

meowbunny

Ugh! Sorry you were feeling so bad but glad you're back.

Milk (whole, skim or chocolate) and yogurt are all good sources of potassium. Tomato and prune juices are also good drinkable sources of potassium. I think pomegranate juice is, too, but not sure on that one. If you're eating foods for potassium, don't cook them in lots of water. Water leeches the potassium right out.

Anyway, welcome back.

M

ML

I'm sorry you were so sick, WO. Very happy you're back and hopefully feeling much better. ML

Fran

Former desparate mom
You sure don't get sick like regular folks. I'm glad you are better now though.
Don't worry about answering threads. Just take care of yourself and get better.

smallworld

Wow, Sharon! I'm so sorry you were so ill. Glad to have you back with us. Hope you're on the road to a full recovery soon.

F

flutterbee

I'm sorry you've been so sick. :(

Potassium - bananas, orange juice, yogurt

Did they send you home on supplements? Those potassium pills are HUGE.

Take it easy until you are all well.

(((hugs)))

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Sharon,

Take care of yourself - don' t push going back to school to soon. My potassium is low as well ~ I drink massive quantities of orange juice, eat avacados, grape tomatoes, etc.

In the meantime, take care of yourself. You're not the "normal" person to catch a bug & you don't want to push things. That Addison's puts you at a higher risk than most (like you didn't know this - sorry).

Wiped Out

Staff member
Thanks everyone. I probably should have listened to everyone and taken the extra day off to rest. Thankfully the Special Education person I co-teach work with really helped out a ton today.

I'm feeling a lot better but definitely not 100%. No potassium supplements. Unfortunately, I hate bananas so there out. I'm going to try the orange juice but that isn't supposed to be good for the bland diet! Argh, hopefully I'll be back to regular food soon.

No well water here-I only drink bottled water-no farm animals either. My nieces dogs that were here did get sick but ours didn't. No clue has to where I picked up this darn thing!

Jena

Im glad you had help today, yet wow i can't believe you went back to work already!! Get rest tonight and wow i have no other idea what type of foods contain potassium.

i hope you get better soon.

Sharon,

I'm so sorry you got so sick and ended up in the hospital. I'm glad you're feeling better but PLEASE take it easy. in my humble opinion, you always want to do to much too soon. Take care of yourself!!! Don't worry so much about others right now.

I didn't read this until I read your response to my post in General about difficult child 2. I'm behind on keeping up with everything here too. Don't feel like you have to send me a pm - I'm always available if you want to "talk" BUT I had no idea you were in the hospital. I agree with Fran - Don't worry about not responding to everyone's posts right now. Just get better!!!

Sending lots of hugs and caring thoughts your way.... (I'm done with Raoul for now - I'll send him over to you:D) WFEN