Lean Time Tips........Bring 'Em!!

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
I was told that as well - but for cereal and other products it could be a good buy - they went thru a lot of products on the show - in the dent and bent section vrs the regular grocery store - but I don't recall they showed any "cans" of stuff.

SRL

I just bought vegetable oil on the clearance rack that had all but a little of the label ripped off. They couldn't leave it on the shelf but I got it for half price.

Abbey

Spork Queen
We have an entire aisle devoted to dented, close to expriring items. For the life of me, I don't see how bottled water goes out of date. But, it's cheap. I don't know of one customer who has passed away eating these items.

Typically there is a 3 day window of opportunity. When departments like meat or produce hit that mark, they put it in the aisle. I know it sounds scary to buy meat that is HUGELY discounted, but if you plan to cook it tonight or tomorrow, you're ok. Just don't freeze it for 6 months down the road.

Abbey

ctmom05

Thanks Daisylover and donna723 for guiding me thru the Saturday morning fog, so that I could find this thread again.

I was enjoying it and find a lot of value in hearing how other people face the challenge of living frugally.

donna723

"I don't see how bottled water goes out of date. But, it's cheap."

I don't see how it would go out of date either. But if I used it and was trying to cut back on my grocery bill, that would be the very first thing to go! OK, I admit it! Most folks my age secretly get a little giggle out of seeing people who are willing to pay big bucks for WATER! Like George Carlin said, "their own personal portable little hydration system - get a drink before you leave the house"! Unless the water coming out of your kitchen faucets is brown or has little things swimming in it, there is no need to spend money on bottled WATER! It is not bottled by gnomes from secret mineral springs in the Black Forest ... if you look at the label to see where it was bottled, chances are that it came right out of that city's municipal water system! ... to say nothing about the twenty-gazillion little plastic water bottles that will still be in the landfills a hundred years from now!

And as for the dented cans, I was always taught that too. A very slight dent where there's obviously no break in the can might be alright, but even a tiny almost invisible opening can let bacteria in. I know that in the prison where I work, the health dept. regulations will not allow us to use food from dented cans. It's probably the same in restaurants, schools, hospitals, etc. I know I've seen results of Health Department restaurant inspections where they were written up for having dented cans on their shelves. I wouldn't chance it just to save a few cents.

ctmom05

Well, I guess I am still at it with this post......

I've rediscovered my frugal side a little bit because I've had the time. I was combining 2 part-time jobs to make a full time income. One of them was with a non-profit and the funding dried up after 3 years.

BUT!!! - I still have a job where working a minimum of 25 hours a week nets me some great health benefits. Plus, I have time to get things done.

A lean time lifestyle is not just for those who are personally facing adverse $$$ circumstances; it is for anyone who wants to trim the fat, so to speak!!

[the quilt tip]
Christmas is coming up and often along with that comes the expense of prezzies. A few years back, I was playing with the sewing machine I inherited from my Mom and put together a quilt that is patchwork on one side and fleecy on the other. I am not a sewer by any means! My neighbor had to show me how to use my own machine. Dax ended up with a doggy size quilt as a result of that first project.

I dusted the sewing machine off and have started another quilt. This time it will be people sized and I am going to give it to my daughter for Christmas.

The patches are cut from other items that I had around the house. I am recycling an old floral print sheet, various cloth placemats, and even a little clothing for this - all free! I will have to spend a little for the fleece, but will be getting it from Wal Mart or some fabric store sale.

I wouldn't be able to make a lot of Christmas presents, but this is one that will deck the halls.

[the rice and beans tip]
I have always enjoyed getting creative in the kitchen. I do tend to be more of a simple home cooking type of cook, rather than a gourmet.

My coworker sometimes gives me non perishable food items that she finds she is not using after awhile. I got some beans this time around, both canned and dried. My husband is not a bean guy, except for the baked ones.

I simmered a cup of dried pinto beans until they were soft. While they were cooking I sauteed an onion and a red pepper. I mashed the soft pintos up and stirred them into the veggies. I added 4 servings of cooked(cooked in chicken bouillon) instant brown rice to the mixture, along with an undrained can of diced italian style tomatoes.

Beans and rice are bland, so I did sprinkle in seasonings as everything was cooking. The nice thing is that any of the ingredients can be varied according to your tastes and what you have on hand.

By the way, my husband loved my version of rice and beans and he wasn't just being nice.

Chris

tiredmommy

Just an FYI: I was in my local Walmart craft department a few days ago and a worker told me that corporate intends to do away with selling cloth across the board...

SRL

A lot of the Walmarts have already lost their fabric departments. They're doing away with them as they're scheduled for remodeling. I'm bummed because it's a great inexpensive source of fabric.

My latest tip is using medium sized eggs, which I can sometimes find around here for 88 cents a dozen. I don't try it with finer baked goods but for things like pancakes, french toast, and scrambled eggs it works fine.

katya02

Solace
What a great thread! I always seem to miss these things, glad this one came up ...

I've lived frugally for years, was a 'starving student' and still love finding new ways to save!

Our electric bill dropped by more than half just turning off the computers at night. Plus I'm a fanatic about turning lights off. I also leave hot dishwater in the sink until it cools during the winter, to get the heat and humidity from it. I try to use the oven efficiently, baking multiple things so I don't heat it up for one small item. When I turn it off I open the door as it cools.

No A/C except in the hottest week or so of summer. I love my wood stove! Plus sweaters and fingerless gloves (I knit these). :)

I had also become a heavy-footed driver and found a major difference in gas usage when I accelerated more slowly. We drive our cars into the ground - keep them at least ten years.

This may gross some people out, but I reuse vacuum bags. Our vacuum needs expensive bags so I take the full bag out to the garage and carefully empty it into the big bag, then go take a shower! :p I also prefer sweeping and/or mopping to using the vacuum when and where possible.

I have a veggie garden and grow berries and bush fruits. I'm trying to get a fruit orchard going and some grapes - but those aren't cooperating. We're fortunate to have a local butcher so can get local meat, and there are farms around that produce enough organic food to freeze and can if my garden fails. We eat out very rarely.

We do our own landscaping and outside projects as much as possible - husband figured out how to set up and wire lamp posts down our driveway to provide better light on the final approach to our place - he was so tickled with the final result!

Last edited:

SRL

This may gross some people out, but I reuse vacuum bags. Our vacuum needs expensive bags so I take the full bag out to the garage and carefully empty it into the big bag, then go take a shower! :p I also prefer sweeping and/or mopping to using the vacuum when and where possible.

!

I've been doing this lately too. I have a Miele and the bags are really pricey but I first did it because I was out and needed to keep cleaning. I take the full bag and put it inside a big plastic bag and remove the stuff with it mostly covered. There's not as much dust flying around as one might think.

ctmom05

A Good Dinner

Tuna Fish Pie with Cheese Roll Crust
1/2 C. Vegetable ( Left Over or Otherwise)
1/2 of onion sliced.. I chop my up
3T. Butter
5T Flour
1/2 t. Salt
2 C. milk
1 can tuna ( I've used left over chicken)

Melt butter in large skillet I use my cast iron..
Add onion and cook till soft. Add Flour and brown lightly. Add Salt and Pepper and milk slowly, stirring constantly until thick and smooth. Add Vegetables and choice of Meat. Pour into a greased baking dish 8*8.. I just leave in my cast iron skillet.

Cheese Biscuits
2 C. Sifted flour
3t. Baking powder
1t. salt
Sift these together.

Pour these into your measuring cup don't stir together.
1/3 C Cooking oil
2/3 C milk

Pour all at once into flour. Stir with fork until mixture cleans side of bowl and round up into ball. Knead. Press into a floured surface 1/2 inch for buscuits. 1/4 inch and sprinkle cheese (grated) on the dough. Roll up like jelly roll - cut into 1 inch slices & arrange over top of creamed tuna/chicken. to form a crust afteri it is baked. Bake in a hot oven 450 about 30 minutes or until browned.

Cole Slaw
you can scale this recipe way down to suit family size
2 cups carrots (shredded)
1 gallon cabbage (shredded)
2 cups mayonnaise
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/4 cup white vinegar
Shred cabbage using shredder (large hole blade). Shred carrots using shredder (small hole blade). Add all other ingredients and mix well by hand.
Yield = 1 Gallon

Apple Barn Apple Fritters
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
2 tablespoons melted butter
1 tablespoon orange peel
1/2 cup chopped apples (with skin on)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups cake flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 cup sugar
Oil

Blend all wet ingredients. Fold in orange peel, salt and baking powder. Fold in flour and sugar. Fold in chopped apples. Do not over mix. Drop spoonfuls of batter in oil heated to 325 degrees and fry until golden brown.
Yield: 15-20 fritters.

SRL

After paying the painful tax bill last week I decided to hunt up this thread as there's lots of good stuff here.

I just found this coupon website that I thought I'd add because it looks good. I do a lot of cooking from scratch and so many of the coupons are for processed foods that I rarely spend time with them anymore but I need to take a second look:
http://krazycouponlady.blogspot.com/

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Like many of you eating out is out. I cook my meals from scratch & plan meals weekly. I still order in groceries because of my limitations but hope I can start using kt to help with groceries.

The big thing I started using is vinegar, baking soda & just plain dish soap for cleaning. I do not spend the money on all the supplies that are out there. I continue to cut up old socks as rags & have used them on my swifter dusters. I get my floor Swifter replacement at Target (own brand) or Walmart (I do not shop there often).

Only buy clothes on sale. I use store labels even on peanut butter.

I'm in the process of rethinking the phones, cell & cable around here.

Marguerite

Some good tips so far.

Here are some of ours.

Shampoo & conditioner - the kids would never empty the bottles so I grabbed them from the bin and added a bit of water. I would get another ten shampoos out of every bottle, I've been years without myself opening a new bottle of shampoo or conditioner.

Tins - yes, we were told to not use dented cans. The reason was, back in those days canning was not quite so meticulously done, rthere was poorer quality control. So as long as the dent hasn't opened a seam, it won't matter. If the can goes off, it will make it bulge alarmingly. A dented but non-bulging can is going to be OK. But yes, don'tleave it too long before use because they all break down after a few years.

Gourmet poverty food - where possible, cook your own from seasonal, fresh ingredients. There are some recipes which are even better at beating poverty.

For example, yesterday difficult child 3 & I went food shopping in Chinatown. And the butcher is a classic case of supply & demand - I found really cheap osso bucco, because few people in that area know what those cuts are. At a more European butcher that cut of meat sells for twice as much. So the trick - again, buy in season, buy what is cheap and buy out of area for cheap specialty cuts. Also, buy in bulk and freeze the excess. For example, I saw whole pork scotch fillet for $10 a kilo when pork medallions were selling for $20 a kilo. So I bought a whole piece of pork and took it home and cut it up - hey presto, pork medallions at half the price!
A lot of butchers will even cut it up for you - I buy whole beef rump and get the butcher to cut it up for me, so I get half-price rump steak. I then use ONE steak for a stir-fry meal that feeds six people.

Last night I also bought a boiler fowl, very cheap. A fraction of the price of fresh ckicken. I used it to make Asian-style chicken stock and tonight I used that stock, plus the cooked chicken meat it also produced, to make chicken risotto for difficult child 3 (enough left over for lunch for him tomorrow) and chicken and vegetable soup for me and DG. I also put pork wontons in the soup (I bought a bulk packet in Chinatown yesterday). A tasty, cheap, optional extra. And I have enough chicken stock plus cooked chicken left over for doing this three times over. I have other good recipes that use the same ingredients. I can freeze the chopped chicken meat and stock, until I need it. It also tastes far better than any shop-bought stock.

Also, chicken thigh fillets are cheaper than chicken breast fillets and also taste better. You can use thigh fillets for a wider range of recipes, such as tandoori chicken, satay chicken, stir-fries and many others.

When times are really tough - make risotto, pasta, gnocchi, or roast vegetables.

Growing your own vegetables - if you're worried about using expensive water, then invest in a rainwater tank and use that to water the vegetable garden. We have no choice, we have serious water restrictions which means we MUST use rainwater.

Keeping chickens - buy chooks which are about to get killed off after serving a year or so as battery hens. They are really cheap but once you put them in your home free-range set-up, you will get a lot more eggs out of them as well as weed-eaters and compost-producers.

Bottled water - don't buy it, it's a rip-off and bad for the environment. But the kids do buy bottled drinks occasionally, and we keep the bottles. I fill tem from the tap and keep supplies of bottled water in the car and around the house. When a bottle gets too manky a soak in bleach can help, as long as it gets thoroughly rinsed out. Eventually we have to throw them away.

I make things with old drink cans, old drink bottles etc. I make toys for the budgies.

For gifts I do my best to make things. Especially food. Jams, biscuits, sauces. I preserve my own home-grown herbs, I make my own exfoliating body scrub that I priced at $50 in the shops. It costs me a fraction of a dollar and smells wonderful. Because it's so cheap I don't feel guilty using it to clean my hands of cooking smells or gardening dirt. Or even machinery oil and dirt. It's really effective and leraves my hands wonderfully clean, fragrant and moisturised.

Vacuum cleaner bags - I have multiple reasons for emptying out the otherwise-dosposable bags. My cleaner (I need him, even though he's fairly useless) won't pick things up, he uses the vacuum cleaner as a garbage disposal unit, so I empty the bag out to salvage Lego pieces, hair ribbons, jewellery, Barbie doll bits and anything else he decided he was too lazy to try to pick up. I've got it to a fine art, I don't need to go bathe afterwards. if I do need to wash, I have my cheap exfoliating scrub...

Marg

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
easy child works with a gal that has chickens. So, now I'll be buying her extra eggs (tons!) at 50 cents a dozen. :D Which is good cuz we go thru quite a bit of eggs around this house.

Nichole and I are planting the veggie garden this weekend. Marg, I never thought about the trick with rain water!! Fabulous. We've got a spare wading pool we could use to collect it. Our water bills around here are outragious thanks to the city putting in a new water treatment plant that doesn't even work well. ugh

And easy child just joined Sam's Club. I'm sharing her 40 dollar membership. Got to watch to make sure the "deals" are actually deals, but oh, my do they have some deals!! Headed back there with husband this weekend.

Marg, had to LOL over the disposable vacuum bags. I used to do that when we were flat broke. Now I have a vacuum that doesn't require bags. :) Easier.

Glad this thread got some new posts. I'm going to need some info on how to correctly freeze veggies once the garden starts producing. I might even try my hand at canning.

Hugs

K

Kjs

I know I should be doing some of these energy savings mentioned. However - I am FREEZING most of the time. When i am not freezing I am having a hot flash, then I am freezing after cause my clothes are all sweaty. I sleep with a "cuddle up" electric blanket most of the time.

I do get mad at difficult child cause he turns the shower on as hot as it goes and just hangs out in the bathroom with no fan. Then he takes a shower and gets out and does the same.

Shopping - I DO coupons. I shop about once a month for the big load and just pull in for staples during the week. K-mart has double coupon upto $2.00 (meaning $4.00 off) they seem to run this add every other Sunday. Save up my coupons (especially cereal), detergent, cleaning supplies, chips. this past Sunday I saved $14.00 off my groceries from Kmart.

I shop at another store that gives 10 cents a gallon for every $50 you spend..at a BiPolar (BP) station. Your card keeps track of your points. I have saved points upto $1.30 off a gallon. Then filled up husband's car cause it has a bigger tank.

We Need insulation in the attic.

I refill water bottles. But husband puts names on them all so nobody exchanges germs. He does that with everything. Drives me nuts.

I plan my meals and cook on my days off. They eat left overs when I work.
Lots of home made soup, chili, sauce and noodles. Ramen noodles - fried with thickened sauce.

Dogs get some carrots, green beans and rice with their food.I must be careful with Chloe though due to thyroid and weight issues.

SRL

Vacuum cleaner bags - I have multiple reasons for emptying out the otherwise-dosposable bags. My cleaner (I need him, even though he's fairly useless) won't pick things up, he uses the vacuum cleaner as a garbage disposal unit, so I empty the bag out to salvage Lego pieces, hair ribbons, jewellery, Barbie doll bits and anything else he decided he was too lazy to try to pick up. I've got it to a fine art, I don't need to go bathe afterwards. if I do need to wash, I have my cheap exfoliating scrub...

Marg

Um, Marg...there's probably a good explanation for this but I just gotta ask: with boys the age of yours, why do you have Barbie doll bits lying around the house?

I empty the bags a few times too before using a new one.