Little Miss Needlephobic got a tattoo!

H

HaoZi

I have seven, mostly mythology based (all if you count a Cheshire Cat as mythos, lol). I want custom sleeves, but done in skin matching UV ink.

Nancy

There are many many jobs that one is excluded from if they have visible tatoos. difficult child has to wear long sleeves even in the hotest days of summer....bummer for her. My husband's receptionist also has to wear long sleeves. UPS will not hire anyone with visible tatoos. It just seems to me that the more things that exclude you from certain jobs the more likely it is going to be that you will not get a job.

Count me in the old people's club. I don't understand why you would want to permanently mark your body or draw attention to yourself that way. I get tired of my clothes too easily but at least I can change them.

Nancy

S

Signorina

I am sure when I see difficult child again that he will have at least 1 tattoo and pierced ears simply because he knows we would not approve. When my dad died, he wanted to get a tattoo in honor of his grandfather. I told him that his grandfather would haunt him forever if he did...

I have 2 tattoos. One cruddy little butterfly on my leg- which I do want to have made into a pretty bright orange and black Monarch butterfly, I even have the picture printed out. But...husband will KILL me for wasting money on it, but I may do it soon anyway. I'll have to trade him something. Another tattoo on my stomach of a rose. IT WAS RUINED the moment I got pregnant, stretch marks made it overly gigantic in one area of it- and it's been ruined for 30 years, it's the ugliest thing in the universe. Warn all your daughters about the stretch mark thing!!!!

InsaneCdn

Nancy - I'm part of the same club, as far as my own body goes...

But I've worked with - and been associated with - people who felt otherwise.
And some were very tasteful.

One gal had a very small red rose just inside her shoulder-blade.
The only times it showed were if she wore a swimsuit... or a low-back evening gown.
Her's was done "in honor of her grandma" - who grew prize-winning roses but never showed off about it.

So... there's ways to do it that are NOT a problem for most of the rest of us.

DammitJanet

Do you know that the Marines wont allow in Tats on the arms below the Tee shirt sleeves anymore? Hows that for strict?

2 of my kids have tats. Cory and Jamie. Jamie has a small rooster on his upper arm. Actually its just the head of the rooster. It is not colored in and he isnt going to. He was but changed his mind. It honestly looks like the kelloggs rooster...lol. Cory has two...one is idiotic and he got it in jail...says DBC running down one arm. Supposedly his little gang here in the neighborhood..yeah right. Deep Branch Crew. About 6 boys who liked to ride bikes, play in the woods and all went to the same schools. Sheesh. The other one is really nice and is a cross but is open in the middle but kind of lacy. Maybe he could figure out a way to put his girls names in there it has room I think.

Me...no tats...cant imagine what one would look like on this body. Shudders.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I don't like the tons of tats... I don't mind a nice one hat shows tho.
I have the one that no one can see. It represents something to me. And a quarter would cover it.
The one I want to get....well, frankly, my scars are ugly, anyway.

susiestar

Roll With It
I have thought about getting a tattoo. But on my body? Would not be a good look. My mom and I were going to get them together when I was about 15, but we decided not to. They were not legal in our state, and we were going to do it when visiting my bro after basic training. But there was a big article about a large hepatitis outbreak from several people who worked at the tattoo places in that town, so we decided we had enough problems with-o risking that one too.

Years later when I got married I was glad I didn't have one. husband hates them. His dad got one when he was on leave from the military and was drunk as a skunk. father in law HATED it from the day he woke up with it. Got it taken off, but it didn't come off well and the area looks bad.

I think sephora has a line of tattoo cover makeup that Kat Von whatever from that tattoo show endorsed. I know there was one add campaign where all her tattoos were covered up and she looked like she didn't have ANY at all. Which either needed a lot of airbrushing or was a sign that it is truly amazing stuff. It might be a nice gift - not that you odn't "support" her decision to get the tattoo, but that you know that sometimes it might be a problem with a job.

Around here there are a LOT of jobs you can't get iwth a tattoo. Heck, even our McDonalds won't hire you if it shows. A neck tattoo is even a problem if you pull your long hair into a high ponytail - they make them change. It probably isn't all McD's, as they are franchises and each owner is a little different. But a LOT of food places won't hire you unless you cover tattoos or big holes in ears, etc.... At least not around here. The college makes students cover them up for work study, and for any more serious job you are just out of luck if they can see one.

H

HaoZi

I think Starbucks makes employees wear bandages over visible tats and piercings, which I think is rather dumb because it looks worse than what it's covering. Placement is another thing I put effort into when I got mine - every one of them can be easily covered with office clothes (even short sleeves and mid-length skirts), but I can show them off with tank tops or shorts. My rule of tats though: if the place doesn't smell like a doctor or dentist office when you walk in the door, LEAVE. This doesn't assure that a place that smells right does sterilize correctly, but it will keep you out of the less sanitary ones.

DDD

Just last night on "Say Yes To The Dress" the beautiful bride to be had a huge tat on her back. From the front she looked stunning...uh, from the back no. As a compromise with her family the bridal salon added a fabric piece that was like a low shawl (don't know what it was called, lol) that attached at the bodice on each side and covered the tat. There was no comment that I heard from anyone about whether she regretted having the big thing but between the bride, the salon and her Mom's very very subtle input they figured out a solution. She looked great but if her lovely back had been exposed with-o a tat she would have looked beautiful. Interesting. DDD

difficult child 1 is totally needlephobic and when he told me he got his first tattoo, I just had to laugh. I remember the days when he needed to get shots and it took two nurses and myself just to hold him down. difficult child 1 now has lots of tattoos. One of them is huge, goes across his shoulder and ends at his collarbone. He says all of his tattoos are works in process... Have no idea what he'll look like the next time I see him! SFR

pasajes4

Funny how that works. Mine still screams like a banshie over shots. Hmmm does not have a problem sticking things through his ears to make huge holes.