Major thunder/lightening/rain

Abbey

Spork Queen
I'm scared!!:holymoly:I haven't heard thunder or seen lightening in 16 years. It's pouring out!! My birds are freaking out.

I'm going to hide in my corner. Dog gone it all...I moved and can't find my corner.:nonono:

Abbey

mstang67chic

Going Green
As long as the sky isn't green or black black....you should be good. I can see why the birds are freaking out though. They have probably never heard this before. Do you have a tape or cd you could play next to their cage to calm them? (and you)

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
A freezer, Star????

Abbey it'll be ok. It won't be long and you'll get used to them. I don't doubt it's scaring the heck out of the birds though.

Hugs

meowbunny

I know just how you feel. I think I was in 4 thunderstorms before moving here and now I experience them daily. I'm still terrified and it doesn't help to hear that a house recently burned down in a lightning storm. Find your corner (mine's my bed with the laptop unplugged). You may never really get used to them but you do learn to tolerate them.

((((ABBEY))))

klmno

LOL!! I know- it isn't really funny- but you will be ok, I promise. I grew up in an area where thunderstorms were not uncommon, then later I lived in Seattle. They actually close offices and let people off work for thunderstorms and they really worry about them. The first time I experienced that, I didn't know what the panic was- I mean, it rains a lot there. That's when I thought about the type of rain- it is like a spring rain most of the time. And, with all the wood structures, they are really afraid of lightening strikes. Anyway, you'll be ok. You might want to keep a flashlight on hand though, for storms. I don't know about the birds- I never had any.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Well she said the humidity was bugging her - and freezers are cold, and sound ;)proof, and they have corners.

Abbey

Spork Queen
(Star is trying to kill me.)

If I get in the freezer, Star...I CAN'T GET OUT NO MATTER HOW MANY CORNERS!! Cynister woman.:mad:

Actually, when I lived in FL, we had daily lightning. (Meowbunny...spelled it right this time.) When it started, we would all run around unplugging everything in the house. But, that was a long time ago. It was just a shock to hear it roll in. RUN, ABBEY RUN!!

Abbey

meowbunny

roflao ... Glad you finally got it right! The first two times here I disconnected EVERYTHING. Now, it has to be right overhead and I might disconnect the easy child but that's a big maybe cause then I can't be online. The only thing I routinely disconnect is the laptop.

Now, just to be a brat, it's sinister (cynical is CYN). And you thought you were a stickler for spelling! hehe

DammitJanet

Lord have mercy if I came unglued over every thunderboomer I wouldnt come out from under the covers any afternoon from May till the end of summer! We seem to be about as blessed with them as Florida is lately. I just make sure all the important electronics are attached to surge protectors and curse the satellite tv...lol.

Keyana is hilarious though. She hears the thunder rolling in and grabs her ears and starts hollaring "Tunder, Tunder" and streaks for my bed with her teddy under her arm. She climbs up there and curls up under my blanket and peaks out after every boom!

Andy

And sinister is SIN - Star, stop that!!! We like our Abbey, we don't want her trapped in a freezer. :rofl:

Abbey,

Go to the lowest level of your house in a room with no windows. Take a cell phone with you as well as a flashlight. Take a battery operated radio and tune into the local station.

Stay calm - take all the safety steps you need to and relax.

Play calming music to help the birds.

and maybe don't listen to me because I am not afraid of storms unless I am traveling in them.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Now, just to be a brat, it's sinister (cynical is CYN). And you thought you were a stickler for spelling! hehe

Gosh darn it all. Now I'm going to have to look up every word.

Sinister...sinister...sinister. Ok, I got it.

I will rephrase. Star is a SINISTER OLD LADY. (Added a bit for effect.)

Abbey

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I am in the corner as well... I have never heard thunder as loud as in the past hour! The streets are flooding and the sky is cracking! Oh and lite-ening... or Lightening, or lightning, lightnin'... something with lights/lite in the sky...
I caint spell neither. Especially when there is no darn spell cheque.
Hunker down... where is the corner? Is it in Cheeseland now?

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
Ok well don't tar and feather me but storms are COOL. I have to practically chain easy child to the house when we have weather. We both stand on the porch and watch it. We and husband took a class to be official weather watchers. hugs.

beth

Abbey

Spork Queen
OMG. If I thought the earlier storm was bad...it was NOTHING as bad as what just went through. There were about a dozen cracks that literally shook the house. You would have thought it was daylight out. I can see/hear a fire engine a couple doors down. Don't know how there could be a fire as it is POURING RAIN!

Toto...I don't think you WANT to have a corner here!!!:surprise:

I'm running around unplugging everything...can't find light switches because I don't know the house yet...yikes.

I used to live in Gainesville, FL, which is supposedly the lightning capital. They have a huge research center at UF. We'd have big storms...but they paled in comparison of what I just heard. It's like a nuclear bomb went off a dozen times.

It's passed, but can still hear it in the distance. Toto, did you pass this on my way? ;)

(another fire truck just pulled up...great...)

Abbey

Abbey

Spork Queen
OMG. There are sirens blaring everywhere around here. What did I get myself into??? It's starting up again. I'm going to unplug and hide under my covers.

Abbey

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
OMG, Abbey, I'm sorry but I'm dying here. :bigsmile:

The very first apartment bldg I moved into was filled with highly intelligent, young adults such as myself. AND we loved to party during a good tstorm or tornado.

The landlord caught us with our keg of beer that we kept in the basement for just such an occasion. Those tornado parties were some of the best!

I hope you can, at the very least, relax soon during a thunderstorm. I personally get very creative during a good storm. husband struggles to get me down the basement if there are warnings because I'm painting or if able playing the piano.

nvts

I'm in there with you Timer! I live about a block and a 1/2 from the beach. We used to RUN or drive to the beach to watch storms roll in over the water. You get horizontal lightning over the water, so it would just flash and make the whole beach look like daylight.

As the kids started getting older and became aware of the storms, husband was worried that we'd end up with kids in our beds every time one rolled in. Since we have sattelite tv, it would become very obvious that a storm was rolling in.

STORM PARTY!!!!

I'd turn on the portable CD player and we'd dance like Cannibals!

Now we've gotten them so used to storms, we set up chairs on the deck and watch storms roll in. Now they know to watch for the gulls to start heading inland and watch the leaves on the trees turn over to catch the rain.

Feel better Abbey! Don't be "ascared"! It's just God and Santa bowling and the lightning is the scoreboard flashing!

Beth

Andy

Abbey, Did you make it through? When nasty ones come through, I often wonder how hurricanes feel - they have to be that much worse.

I was in a camper one year when a bad storm went through. The wind scared me so bad - I thought for sure the camper would tip over.

What a welcome you are getting - hectic travels, noisy air show, and now this!