May I Please Have Some Bead Rattling - Prayers

TerryJ2

jal., wow, that is awful! Terrifying and so, so sad, since you knew she would fall eventually.

Stairs after a certain age are defintely a no-go.

Amazing that she made her way around, cleaning up like that. Years ago, my dad had a fall down the basement stairs--wood stairs, cement garage floor--and I was in the house with him for the express reason that he was senile, drinking, and not able to live alone. I was sleeping downstairs and didn't hear the fall or the door. Great caregiver I was, huh?
So, first of all, don't beat up on yourself or your family. Your grandmother could have fallen right in front of you.

Second, my dad cleaned up after himself (gag, ew--no, it was a mess, and those noises were what awakened me ... the back-and-forth movements, the opening and closing of drawers where he was looking for BandAids) just like your grandmother did, and he did not break his neck or his nose, but he did go on to live another five yrs. :)

Even if your grandmother goes tomorrow, she *is* on a morphine drip, her family is around her, and that will make her comfortable.
GO SEE HER. Even for 5 min. You don't want to take a chance that this is your only chance, Know what I mean??

Many, many hugs.

jal

TerryJ2,

Thank you for asking. I am sorry you had to got through that with your Dad. I've experieced some, on both sides of the family, but not to that extent. I am going tomorrow. She is doing pretty well. All of us cousins who are in contact thought this was it. They are expecting to take out the breathing tube and do a trach on Monday so they can do surgery on her nose the same day. She broke the top of her nose and the bone under her nose too (we just found that out). They have to fix it so she can eat food again. Her brain activity is way up so that is why she appears to be a canidate for surgery.

Thank you.

Jody

i am so glad to hear that she can have surgery. Please continue to keep us updated on your grandma's health. I will keep praying for her!!!!!

jal

Well I went to see her today. She looked pretty bad, but not like I had envisioned in my mind thank G*d. She reacted to me, opened her eyes and squeezed may hand strongly the whole time I was there. It was very encouraging. My uncle and my oldest cousin were headed there early this evening to visit. I am just worried about her getting through surgery on Monday.

buddy

So happy for you to see her. Sending prayers for a successful surgery and for her to not suffer in any way.

jal

Thank you all for your kind words and prayers. She was responsive after the surgery on Monday, but she had a massive stroke late this morning. The part of the brain that controls breathing was gone. We took her off life support this afternoon. She was surrounded by the family that could get to her in time. My mom and dad, myself, my oldest cousin and my uncle. Other grandchildren from around the country called in were able to say good bye to her by phone even though she was already technically gone.