Minor rant...

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Went to Pat's IEP meeting this morning.

His sped informed me that Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified was NOT on the autism spectrum.

No wonder he's not getting proper supports.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I would love to. However, the clinician who diagnosis'd him was at Children's in Cincinnati, and it's been about 6 years...

InsaneCdn

They haven't questioned the actual diagnosis. Just the definition of it. We had that problem too (with a different diagnosis). A new professional on our team simply wrote a report requiring a list of accommodations that "just happened" to be the same as for kids on the spectrum.

BusynMember

My neuropsychologist was smart. He called sonic autistic spectrum disorder. Nobody, at least not in the U.S. can ignore that. Aspergers and Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified doesnt exisist anymore. You need an autism spectrum disorder diagnosis. Although, In my sons autism group, plenty of adults that were dianosed with asperger (most seem to be functioning way below that) are getting ssi,, supports and services that they need. They get help finding jobs too. Most work. Now this was before Aspergers and Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified were all lumped togerher as Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD).
At least in the U.S. finding the right agency and having an is extremely important. And if he can be reevaluated and listed as Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) thats a good first step. The legal system doesnt help. Forget the cops. You need to call aging and disabilities in human resources. They will do a free assessment if you like. I trust private assessments better. We started straightbout of high school and were told to go to aging and disabilities. Call them!
Good luck.

Last edited:

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
SWOT, around here, health & human services will ONLY deal with this sort of thing if you are indigent (and have jumped through ODJFS hoops for TANF and other assistance) or have been referred by the legal system. Since we don't qualify for the first, we have to go the second route.

That said, we HAVE gone the private route, had insurance (help) cover the original neuropsychologist evaluation. However, since ACA, now we are required to get a referral from the pediatrician. I barely managed to wrangle one out for Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) testing... In the kids' practice, there are a couple of docs I could happily do without. If the others weren't so darned GOOD - but I digress. I have set the kid up with 2 different well-child checks (with the docs I like, so I had to wait for appointments of course), both of which he missed - one because he just didn't ride the bus home from school and we couldn't find him (Bill was supposed to take him), the other when he refused to go and walked out (that was me, and I can't physically stop him). Insurance doesn't cover missed appointments and there is a $75 charge each time.

The biggest issue here is helping someone who refuses to help himself. I can work myself blue in the face, but since he presents as a perfectly normal kid... Yep.

I despise not being able to do anything.