Mom, This burner is hot!

Andy

difficult child made hot chocolate the long way (teapot) again! He puts the pot on the back smaller burner and turns it on. Then I hear, "Mom, it's weird. The front burner gets hot when I turn the back burner on."

I go to investigate. "See, put your hand near the burner. It is hot and it is not even turned on."

:hammer: "Umm, difficult child, you turned on the wrong burner again!"

:rofl:

TerryJ2

LOL.
At least he didn't put his hand right on it.

We had a student live with-us, from British Guyana. She was totally unfamiliar with-washing machines. I took a permanent marker and drew a picture of water drops on the dial and next to the buttons where it said, Small, medication and Large, and printed out pictures of dark and light clothes for the cold and hot cycles. She got really mad and insulted, but I was tired of her ruining everyone's clothes.
She was a difficult child but I didn't know it. Well, I did, but I thought it was all cultural and lack of maturilty, and lack of parenting on my part. She could do ANYTHING PERFECTLY with-o ever having done it b4.
Yeah, right.
Anyway, you may want to write "Front" and "Back" on the stove ... :)

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Oh thank goodness he didn't actually TOUCH the burner! I thought for sure that's what the post was about!!! Believe me, difficult child 2 is the one who would have done the same thing. That's why I love gas ranges. There's NO doubt about which burner is on. Unless of course you are my easy child and you somehow manage to leave the burner on, but the flame goes out... for a long time... and your mom comes downstairs and almost has a heart attack because the house reeks of gas... :eek:

Andy

Terry - Labeling is a great idea! Especially since he turned on the wrong one twice within a few days. He definetly hasn't learned from the last mistake. Atleast this time nothing was on the burner. I don't know why, but with this particular stove, I often have to look twice when not using the large burner to make sure I turn the right one on.

Gcv - Yes, it is good that he knows not to touch the burner. Gas stoves scare me though I can see the pros as you point out. Looks like we will need to get a gas grill this Spring that difficult child will use almost daily through Fall. I am a little nervous about that.

KTMom91

Even microwaves aren't foolproof for difficult child cooking...Miss KT tried to make Easy Mac without using any water in the bowl. Fortunately, I was home and smelled something burning. The noodles were burned almost black.

Andy

Oh KTmom - My difficult child did that also last year. The bowl broke (another favorite pampered chef item) and the noodles were black. I think difficult child knew enough to put the water in - he even had measured the water but was distracted and forgot.

I was glad the microwave glass door didn't break when the bowl shattered. There was a large "POP".

Andy

I wonder if Pampered Chef would consider letting my difficult child be their tester for their products? If they can pass his cooking then they are good to go.

(Sorry difficult child, I know you really are a good cook and we all have our moments of errors in the kitchen.)

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Even microwaves aren't foolproof for difficult child cooking...

You got that right!

I remember the time difficult child 1 put a whole can of soup in the microwave to heat it up.

The. Whole. Can.

Unopened.

I'm surprised I'm still here to remember it!:faint:

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Andy, both kt & wm struggle with working in the kitchen; the stove specifically. And I have a gas stove. kt has been learning to use the stove with supervision; handles preheating the oven wonderfully. Has been know to ignite a burner with-o the flame. All of a sudden you smell gas......windows get flung open, yada, yada, yada.

Kitchen safety is such a painstaking process with some of our difficult children. I'm glad that your difficult child wasn't hurt in the pursuit of hot chocolate.;)

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Terry - Labeling is a great idea! Especially since he turned on the wrong one twice within a few days. He definetly hasn't learned from the last mistake.....I don't know why, but with this particular stove, I often have to look twice when not using the large burner to make sure I turn the right one on.

I turn on the wrong burner ALL the time....I'm not sure a label would help.

:tongue:

At least (because I know I do this)...I don't keep anything on the stove.

--DaisyF

Andy

GCVmom - Wow - that would be dangerous. I suppose if he had kept it in any longer?

Timer - Thank you! Cooking is an adventure that is filled with numerous lessons especially when we are not careful.

Daisy - Taking away my hope of labeling huh? :sad-very: You may be right - like I said, I still find myself turning on the wrong burner on occassion. Why is reading the teeny tiny little "map" so hard? There are only four dots to match the four burners - what is so hard about that?

Funny how these become fond memories.

TerryJ2

I turn on the wrong burner ALL the time....I'm not sure a label would help.

Hey, I'm all for hiring a chef! LOL.