Most of us here deal with MI every day.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I'm just curious, if anyone is willing to share, how you feel about the song "They're coming to take me away". Offensive? Funny?

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Funny I guess - never really gave stuff like that much thought. Not because I'm insensitive, but because why take every little thing seriously and turn it on oneself? Also, I hate when people are so politically correct they are stupid! I mean, lighten up and laugh a little.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Since I hum it in my head whenever work gets crazy around me, I think it's funny.

Then again, I was a teen in the eighties. So I like Rick Dees ... all kinds of parodies ... especially Weird Al and any kind of awful/funny Christmas song (like the 12 Pains of Christmas).

KTMom91

Funny...overly easy child people are funny, too. I looked up "humor quotes" online, and wanted to share some.

Humor is the instinct for taking pain playfully.' Max Eastman

If I had no sense of humor, I would long ago have committed suicide. Mahatma Ghandi

Humor is mankind's greatest blessing. Mark Twain

You can turn painful situations around through laughter. If you can find humor in anything, even poverty, you can survive it. Bill Cosby

Humor is... despair refusing to take itself seriously. Arland Ussher (My personal favorite!)

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I'm with you, Jo. If I don't laught, I'll cry.

'Humor is... despair refusing to take itself seriously.' Arland Ussher (My personal favorite!)

My fav, too.

Brings to mind the night Wee drank peroxide. I was pretty certain the white-coated fellows were going to be there any moment...it was like an out of body experience, standing there laughing at it all in the midst of it....this song crossed my mind then, too.

Step, I love stupid songs. I found a cd in my truck the other day...no idea who it belongs to. Popped it in and the first song is sung to "God rest you merry gentlemen". I still have no idea where the cd came from, but its a hoot. Wee and I listen to it daily.
"The rest room door said gentlemen so I just walked inside.
I took two steps and realized I'd been taken for a ride.
I heard high voices, turned and found the place was occupied
By two nuns, three old ladies and a nurse
What could be worse
Than two nuns, three old ladies and a nurse?"

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Okay, I will admit, when my sisters and I were kids we would sing it when my mom was going off about something...she was certifiable for most of what I can recall from my childhood...it's a famiily fave! And these days it would apply to my sister M! LOL

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Funny! Did you sing it to her or behind her back??? lol

First time I heard the song, I was 18 or 19 years old, had a big ol' fight with my boyfriend, and stormed out to go for a drive. Driving along in the middle of nowhere, I hear this playing on the radio.

I had to ask someone the next day (pre-internet) if it really was a song or something I made up in my head! lol (and was a bit worried what the answer might be!)

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I think the song is funny in a low-brow sort of way. Of course, once I was diagnosed with BiPolar (BP), I told a few close friends that I'd officially been "certified". I love Jewish style humor which turns adversity into jokes and music.

You just have to laugh at things sometimes.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
Wow, that's a blast from the past. My brother used to have that 45 (circa 1966). I loved it. On the B side, it was "Coming to Take Me Away" playing backwards ;-)

Did they remake this song, or was this just prompted by a memory of the song??

trinityroyal

Apparently, it was Napoleon XIV

And here's the song:

One of my favourites, by the way. With a schizophrenic mom, ASPD dad and ADHD brother (not to mention my little Aspie self and kids...), this got heavy rotation on my turntable when I was little.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
ROFL I have it as a ringtone!!!

Here, it's Rick Dees and you can find it on older Dr. Demento discs.

"The Restroom Door Said, Gentlemen" is on Bob Rivers' Twisted Christmas.

There are some greats, there. I have to admit, though, Weird Al is COOL.

muttmeister

I remember when the original was new. I thought it was hilarious then and I still think so. I think one of the things that makes the rest of us "crazy" is uptight people with no sense of humor. Of course, as I wrote that I realized it sounded like a direct quote from the 1960s but that is my era so I guess that makes sense.:tongue:

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Direct quote from the sixties?

Okay... Perhaps... But... Two songs come to mind... "We Are The People Our Parents Warned Us About" and "Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes", both by Jimmy Buffett...

The first one's kind of self-explanatory just by the title. The second... Quote... "If we weren't all crazy we would go insane". In a way - true. True.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Love that song. I frequently walk about the house humming the tune High Anxiety from the Mel Brooks movie of the same title. There's also Joni Mitchell's song ~ cannot remember the title ~ from the album Court & Spark

Found it - the title is Twisted.

My analyst told me
That I was right out of my head
The way he described it
He said I'd be better dead than live
I didn't listen to his jive
I knew all along
That he was all wrong
And I knew that he thought
I was crazy but I'm not
Oh no

My analyst told me
He said I'd need treatment
But I'm not that easily led
He said I was the type
That was most inclined
When out of his sight
To be out of my mind
And he thought I was nuts
No more ifs or ands or buts

They say as a child
I appeared a little bit wild
With all my crazy ideas
But I knew what was happening
I knew I was a genius...
What's so strange when you know
That you're a wizard at three
I knew that this was meant to be

Now I heard little children
Were supposed to sleep tight
That's why I got into the vodka one night
My parents got frantic
Didn't know what to do
But I saw some crazy scenes
Before I came to
Now do you think I was crazy
I may have been only three
But I was swinging

They all laugh at angry young men
They all laugh at Edison
And also at Einstein
So why should I feel sorry
If they just couldn't understand
The idiomatic logic
That went on in my head
I had a brain
It was insane
Oh they used to laugh at me
When I refused to ride
On all those double decker buses
All because there was no driver on the top

My analyst told me
But I said dear doctor
I think that it's you instead
Because I have got a thing
That's unique and new
To prove it I'll have
The last laugh on you
'Cause instead of one head
I got two
And you know two heads are better than one.

More lyrics: http://www.lyricsfreak.com/j/joni+mitchell/#share

Honestly, this fits my mindset perfectly.