Nearly $700...

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
OMG, that's insane!!!

We paid $180, 11 years ago, from Ohio to Oklahoma. For a HUGE U Haul trailer. In 2001 it was $220 for a U Haul VAN to drive back.

Why so spendy?

DammitJanet

That is incredibly expensive for just a trailer. Have you considered driving a van instead? It might be cheaper to go that way. Do a one way ride and the other one drive the car along with you. Im not sure the distance between the two of places but it only cost me about a hundred bucks to move my mothers entire house in a HUGE uhaul truck. We made one trip but we had it two days. Maybe 3...I cant actually remember this long ago.

Steely

No, that is way wrong. You could hire a mover for that much. Is it a trailer or a truck? Try Budget Rentals?

gcvmom

Here we go again!
You'd be better off renting a van, taking the seats out, and loading it up with the furniture.

Does the $700 include gas?

KTMom91

I checked online, for a 10' truck. They're insisting on a four day minimum (don't know why). We have a couch, a daybed, a glider rocker, nightstand, bookcase, TV, DVD player, and a floor lamp so far.

I had to double check I'd put the correct Portland in - got the same results. Guess I'll have to call the local place and see if the online price applies or if he can work out a better deal for us. This hoovers.

Hubby wants me to call UPS and see how much it would be to ship the couch, but I hate to call UPS this close to Christmas.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
We got a LOT of stuff jammed into the rental van. It was a full-sized one, but... dresser, 2 night stands, about 15 boxes, a desk, 2 lamps, shelving...

The boxes were mostly 3x3x3 - FEET. HUGE things.

shellyd67

A 15 passenger cargo van with all the seats out should fit everything. The rental company will remove the seats ahead of time so you can just pull off when you arrive.

That price is way over the top $$$.

S

Signorina

UPS won't ship lg furniture - but there are freight companies that will. Usually you have to drop it off at the dock though. I'd try calling some mom and pop antique dealers to see if they can recommend a furniture shippers. Good luck

Star*

call 911........call 911
Just my .02 -

I recently called Enterprise Rental. I put FULL coverage insurance on MY vehicle BEFORE i called them to rent. (this is very wise to do - it gets you better rates) you will not belive the difference in rental price.

Okay then shop around for a weekly rate DEAL. Ask if they are AAA affiliated where you are - I got another discount.

ASK ALSO for a deal with UNLIMITED mileage.

I rented a truck for the weekend (four days) for $248.00 tax included. And it had a HUGE bed - and we were able to tied EVERYTHING in and - didn't care HOW it looked - Tarped it down.....tied it on and DROVE like the wind.

*(** YOU will have to pay a CASH deposit if you pay with a Debit card - and the day you take the truck back ? It will be credited to your debit within 3 business days.

I will ABSOLUTELY use Enterprise again -

AND......AND.........if you rent one with a hitch and buy a small ball ---------???? and BUY a trailer off Craigslist? Or call and see what Uhaul charges to rent their TEENIEST tiniest trailer? Maybe that will be enough for you.

Idunno - but I got a 2010 FULL SIZE dodge ram - and OMG - Sirius satelite .......it was .......AWESOME.......and the gas mileage was digital so it told me on my speedometer if I was going too fast to get more or less than 28 MPG hwy - it was a BLAST. Now I want one. - can't afford one.......but want one. lol.

And just a thought -

Throw the couch away - and go to good will when you get where you are going - and take the truck and go buy a couch. For what you are wasting trying to move this couch? unless it's an heirloom? Sell it - and buy a used one.

donna723

I've never rented a trailer but I know when you rent a car, it is usually cheaper to rent it for a whole week than for just a few days. Have you checked in to renting a truck instead of just the trailer?

KTMom91

OK. To rent a pickup for four days would be $400. Hubby's car does not have a trailer hitch and he does not want one.

The current plan is to stuff everything we can fit into Hubby's car, and buy furniture at the thrift stores up there. Even though we just bought a cute little couch...

Steely, crazymama, and witz...we'll be back in your neck of the woods in about two weeks!

InsaneCdn

What do you mean a "cute little couch" won't fit in the back of DHs car...
I mean really. You wouldn't BELIEVE the stuff we've carted all over the countryside... in 3-door hatchbacks, no less.
(but yes, there IS a limit, somewhere)