Need all the help I can get.

Nancy

Today was a good day...one day at a time!

I love this facility Star. They were so on top of her Saturday when she tried to leave. The front desk saw her try to leave and asked if she had discharge papers and sent her back to the nurses office. In the meantime they got ahold of a counselor and they intercepted her in the parking lot and told her friends to leave or they would call the police. At the same time the nurse called to inform us that she was trying to leave and that she withdrew her consent to talk to us. She started running down the drive and walking on the main road but one of the male workers whose job it is to patrol the area ran after her and talked her back in. Together with the counselor they convinced her to call us because we were worried sick. They did everything right and gave us enough time to convince her to stay until we got there the next day. By Sunday she was calmer and agreeable to stay.

This place is very serious about recovery, they don't fool around. She had to talk about everything in front of her group and ask them if she could stay. Her counselor said it was a good session and she got a lot of good feedback from the group. She is retruning the bracelts tomorrow and apologizing to everyone and she is on probation but they are letting er stay. As of now she will be there another 30 days.

Star you are right, we did evrything we could and she is making these decisions. We all told her Sunday it's time she look inside herself now. She is sober but hasn't made the changes in her life she needs to. It's up to her now. But I will tell you I was panicked at the thought of her leaving with some crack addict and I had no way of contacting her.

Nancy

Fran

Former desparate mom
Hope is the salve our wounds need. The program and difficult child is giving you a kernel of hope.
Hugs.

Nancy

TALAN things are going well. She is working the program and from all indications she is serious about it. I am still very impressed with this facility. She gets a pass Friday and I am picking her up and taking her to a mall about an hour away and dinner. Her counselor is giving us extra time and we just have to be back for her AA meeting at 7. She seems to have turned a corner about a week ago and gotten very serious about her future. Of course her recovery is very fragile but we are drawing the line in the sand with her aftercare program and her continued sobriety in order for her to continue living at home.

Thanks for asking.

Nancy

Last edited:
T

toughlovin

Nancy, I am sorry this is so hard. It sounds like a great place as they keep working with her to stay. Also hold on to those good fqmily sessions you have had. Clearly she has very mixed emotions about her treatment and sobriety. I suspect this is pretty normal really. Better she is getting help from them in dealing with her ambivalence rather than you trying to deal with it.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Nancy,

I was thinking about difficult child a LOT today. Just wondered if you had heard anything about her and how she is doing?? In kind...I have been thinking a lot about you as well. How are you holding up? Just sending postive vibes and huge hugs.

N

Nomad

I've been out of town again....came back and was saddened to see this.
I'm sorry...toooo much AGONY, pain and sorrow. Too many bad decisions. So much disappointment.

Skimmed through these posts....am glad she has returned to the rehab and t hey are holding her accountable for her actions, including making her ask to come back, etc.
Hopefully, this too will be a learning experience for her. I think she needs to learn that she is a worthwhile person, and at the same time one that needs to be accountable to herself and those who are in authority or who are trying to legitimately help her.
It is concerning that she is sober and continues to make extreme harmful choices. Has this been addressed with any of the docs?
Are you going to therapy/counseling and/or group yourself?
I do hope that inch by inch you are learning to push away from the exteme drama of it all. Sure, it is impossible to fully remove yourself. You will always want your child to be safe, etc.
But since your daughter is now an adult and (correct me if I am wrong) but her behaviors have caused you and your husband excessive dangerous stress + you have provided significant help for her, it is time to let much of this go emotionally.
Prayers that she continues to stay in rehab and for MUCH improvement fo difficult child!! Amen.

busywend

Glad to hear things are on the upswing. If she could only realize how important her family is to her life.

susiestar

Roll With It
I am SO glad she is doing better now. I hope that this continues for many many , one days at a time!

Your description of the rehab and how they handled it was wonderful It sounds exactly the way I have heard it is supposed to work when someone wants to leave before they are ready.

Many hugs and prayers for your whole family.

Kathy813

Staff member
Hi Nancy,

I only check the board once in a while now but always look for posts by you. I was sorry to read that your difficult child had a crisis but it sounds likes things have gotten better. I will keep you and your difficult child in my thoughts that she continues on the road to sobriety.

Stay strong,
Kathy

TerryJ2

I didn't see this note until now.
Oh, dear.
I am so sorry, but I am glad she stayed.
I agree with-Star, you've got to take care of yourself now. Let her take care of herself, no matter how erroneous her ways. It's SO hard. My little sister is going through it, too.
Makes me want to scream, and I'm just the aunt.
Many hugs.