Newlywed daughter having anxiety

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by standswithcourage, Jul 2, 2008.

1. standswithcourage

standswithcourage New Member

My beautiful newly wed daughter told me she has anxiety. she is always thinking something is wrong with her. Bless her heart - her hubby is the opposite - he doesnt worry about anything - I just wonder why she worries so - she said she was going to talk to her GYN about it - I said that was a good idea - also I have a great counselor she can talk to - she didnt say no - so I will wait in the shadows and see - I cant rememeber her being so anxious when she was a young girl - Ihope everything is ok in their marriage.

2. klmno

klmno Active Member

I hope so , too! Maybe it is just the early jitters!

3. everywoman

everywoman Active Member

Any newlywed who is enduring the first year of marriage is bound to have some anxiety. Did she say what she was worried about?

4. TerryJ2

TerryJ2 Well-Known Member

Susan, how lucky she is to have you as a M-I-L.
    Is she anxious about everything? I went through a period like that and decided to quit all my newspaper subscriptions, quit watching TV, and quit listening to the radio. It made a huge diff.
    I still have problems going to sleep at night--horrid thoughts that seem ridiculous in the a.m.--but cognitive therapy helps a great deal with-it.
    I hope she takes your advice and goes to a therapist. It can be a great help.
    Seems like she took your advice in the spirit it was intended.
    Best of luck.

5. SRL

SRL Active Member

Did she live at home before she got married? I know this is unusual but I know of a woman who was homesick on her honeymoon. It's not that she didn't love her husband or didn't want to be married...she just missed home and mom and dad.

6. standswithcourage

standswithcourage New Member

Well number 1 - she worries about h er health - she is always wondering if she has cancer - she is very fit and exercises and eats healthy everyday - if she feels any lump or anything she gets all worried about it - one time she thought she had HIV - anyway - she has been with her husband as boyfriend and girlfriend for about 6 years - she lived with him for about a year before they got married - so basically she had a bed at home but she worked a lot and would go and see him - when he lived with his mom and stepfather she would go over there after work and hang out and then call and say she was staying over there - so I feel like during all that going and coming time she was just home here to sleep sometimes - for 5 years - now I am getting to spend time with her more - it is weird - I feel like for 5 years I was just an innocent bystander - not really involved - but know I feel like I want to be there for her but dont want to push her away by becoming more involved than she wants me too - so I called her tonight and she had just finished her run - she was taking a shower and said she didnt know what they were going to do tmmorrow and asked me what we were going to do - they never come over here - I told her we could all go see fireworks somewhere - but I am not going to press it - I told her if she wanted to go somewhere tonight - earlier - to call me - I didnt call her back - I havae to keep my distance in a way - anyway her husband is cute but he is very self centered I think - but she has been going with him long enough - her mother in law told her recently she should have stayed with the guy she was dating before because her son was a jerk!