Now they are saying it may be up to THREE weeks

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
What do they expect you to do?!

OK, I'll be honest, I have only been to CT once, and that in February. There was snow everywhere. That said... Your city's planners/engineers/whathaveyou should probably expect snow? I know, it's early, but...

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
What do they expect you to do?!

OK, I'll be honest, I have only been to CT once, and that in February. There was snow everywhere. That said... Your city's planners/engineers/whathaveyou should probably expect snow? I know, it's early, but...

The issue with getting so much heavy snow this early is that the trees still have most of their leaves so it weighed them down and collapsed many trees, which in turn took out power lines. I mean, it looks like a war torn country through most of the neighborhoods! Trees and wires down everywhere. Driving out of the neighborhoods is a real trick and dangerous. And because the lines are down, the power company had to turn off the power all over until they can figure out which wires are live and need to be fixed first. And of course, usually the main areas and business strips get power first before the nieghborhoods. Blech. If it lasts 3 weeks, that will be really difficult.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
OK, I wasn't considering LEAVES! LOL my brain thinks snow, empty trees. In TX, when we had snow, well, not many trees. In OH, when we have snow, well, not many leaves.

So that makes more sense. And I'm not surprised that commercial properties get power first...

HEY! mother in law can live there while your power's out, and you can go live somewhere with power. Power comes back, you swap??? Maybe she'd REALLY hate it.

OK, so that's not really an option, but...

DammitJanet

Wow....I didnt realize the storm was that bad! I can understand reasons why the trees came down with the leaves. Thats what happens here with the ice because we tend not to actually lose all our leaves down here even in the winter so if we get ice storms its a disaster.

I hope they can get your power up sooner than that. It will really put a work out on your generator. Is it even safe to run one that long? Can it run the heat or do you have a fireplace to do that? I hope you have a wood stove for heat. Of course, I cant see your H as a guy who enjoys chopping wood...lmao.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
We have a wood burning stove in the basement that we are using for heat...H actually doesn't mind chopping wood and in fact, he's a great fire starter! Lol. We are using the generator for the fridge and the Griddler, water for showers and toilets, and some lighting. We turn it off at 10 pm and back on in the morning, so it's not going full blast all day. I'm using the crockpot to make a big chili so it's on today, but I turned off the heat during the day. We did a load of wash yesterday using an extension cord, but had to hang to dry, which took a loooooong time to dry! My friend and her family are hanging her so we are sharing food, etc. She had propane tanks to use on our Coleman stove so at least we have some burners, which is nice. Our micro/convection oven died from a power surge yesterday, so that sucks because that's what I was using for the oven and to heat water. We are surviving, it's still only been four days...more than a week, well, I may not be taking it all in stride.

buddy

you are hanging your friend??? (kidding, I know what you meant, I hate my typos my keyboard can't keep up and I reverse so many letters too, oh well as long as we understand eachother)

Anyway, I had heard this on the news and all about the leaves being still on the trees and the damage, i thought of you and wondered. In MN we are remembering our storm that halted our world for three days (20 years ago on Halloween). You will never forget it and they will talk about this for decades I bet. I am so glad you have a generator. That is dangerous to not have power, they said over 20 people have already died from this on the east coast so really that number will go up if some of the folks dont have heat. I pray they get things going soon. Keep us updated.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Wow Jo that hoovers out the wazoo!

And this is why I have my stockpile............and why I'm hunting for grills on clearance today.........and digging out my campstove and camp coffeepot and putting them where I have easy access to them.

Our area of the country is supposed to be hit hard this year. I dunno why, but I'm making sure I'm as ready as I can be. I hope they're wrong.........I hate shoveling snow.......yuk

InsaneCdn

I hope the reports (long term forecasts) are wrong, but...

They are telling us (prairies) to expect extreme cold but way-below-normal precipitation... that all the precip. is going to the East Coast of the continent...

We NEED the snow - and don't need multiple months of really extreme cold either... and really, YOU don't need all that SNOW.

Who said Mother Nature was fair?
Well... I guess you could say she's equally unfair?!

H

HaoZi

With all that snow, toss the cold stuff in the backyard and save your generator for other things.

DDD

I've survived two weeks.........and it was gruesome. Sending hugs and hopes that they are giving you a longer time than expected just to keep people from contacting them. DDD

H

HaoZi

I've gone three weeks, but not in that kind of weather! Battery operated fans were my friend instead.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
We did 2 wks of an ice storm our first winter in this house with no power. easy child and sister in law came to stay with us. It was interesting. But my gas stove kept us warm.......and I could still cook. And I had coffee because of the coffee pot that runs on propane. I've got my priorities straight. lol

The unheated family room came in handy too, I stored all the frig stuff out there in boxes.

Mattsmom277

I can't imagine that long without power. I didn't know how spoiled we are but power went off last week about 6pm and by 11pm we were squirrelly and had no more candles to use. Batteries in flashlight were dead for over a year. We are not prepared for any long outage. Used to be we had no worries as the hospital was on our grid so we never went long before power came back. They opened a new hospital and shut the one nearby this year so now we should consider making plans for longer outages. I have survival skill envy hearing how you are managing although I hope your power is not out as long as they predict. Hang in there!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Just received an update from our power company = by Midnight Sunday they expect our area to have power again! difficult child and boyfriend are going back to his parent's house tonight as they have their power back just moments ago and my friend who has been hanging with us also got their power (they are on the main strip). So things are looking up.

We are okay for most things in terms of food, generator, gas and wine - the important things in life! lol. At least we can shower and eat. H keeps turning off the generator earlier and earlier so I feel like a pioneer woman for more reasons than the non-stop cooking and cleaning! We were in bed by 9:15 last night. That is WAAAAAY too early for me! on the other hand, it's nice waking up NOT exhausted in the morning, hahah, just very cold.

Thanks for the stories and warm thoughts. I don't get any cell/internet service at my house this week - only at work, which is where I am posting from. I usually have stellar service at home, but with all the power lines, etc., down, I guess 3G is just useless!

DDD

Great update. My Ex used to work for the power company and they always gave the longest possible turn on date publicly to ease the pressure on their workers and those brought in from neighboring areas. So....what are you going to do first? Hot bath?? You'll feel ten years younger when your power is back. Of course, lol, you probably don't need to feel younger. Hugs. DDD

jal

Oh, Hang in there H&R! I'm sorry your still having to deal with-o power. My parents just got their's back last night and they are just up the street from us. It was 7 days for us with Irene, but we were lucky it was in the warmer weather and also more light in the am and pm versus now.

I

DammitJanet

I dont know how I would manage that at all. I get very cranky without my power...lol. Once my internet connection is gone so I cant at least watch tv or connect with the outside world, I would be crazy as a loon. Either I would be sleeping in the car hoping that the towers were up and I could get signal or I would be in a hotel with power and TV. I guess I could manage without the internet for that long but I have to have one or the other.