Outraged -they said send him home - OMG

meowbunny

I'm speechless. I'm shocked. I'm crying. For you, for Dude, for all the kids the States do this garbage to. They don't train them, they don't give them decent therapy, they don't help them. They just house them until they're 18 and then send them on their merry ways. It truly sickens me.

Definitely become a warrior mom. Right now, you're the only chance he has. Start writing to the world, especially to state and federal politicians. Call the local mental health associations and see what names they have. Heck, write Obama and Palin. They're both supposed to be advocates for special needs kids and pro mental health.

Maybe you can even find an attorney who will take the case pro bono. You might have a good lawsuiit against the state and local agencies as well. And find those medical records and get them back!

Other than that, you know you have my love and hugs on this one. Dude has gotten a raw deal from day one. They basically wrote him off and warehoused him. Now that he's 18, they want to wash their hands of him. Don't let them.

Wishing

They sound pretty irresponsible. I would call around and find out per sw or mental health workers-Which lawyer has been getting most of the advocate cases for kids transitioning into other programs for mental health (or child in need of supervision once they are 18). I thought legally they can't dismiss you if you haven't finished high school and you are under 19. my prayers are for you and Dude.

DDD

Dude has to have an advocate pronto. I'm genuinely fearful that if he is on his own ( a situation that he is not prepared to handle maturely) "something" or "somebody" will happen and the system will have another
needy soul to justify the expansion of expenditures in government.

It breaks my heart to think about it. DDD

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Starbie, I just want to make sure you saw my suggestion. At this point, even if you think it's a stupid idea, it's can't hurt to try. What other choice do you have?

Star, I don't know about your state but in PA there are different programs for adults than there are for minors and the programs come from different agencies. Please check this out in your state to see if there is another agency you can contact for help.

(by the way, it's not like I think it's such a genius idea or anything ;) ...it's just that it's an idea it doesn't sound like you've tried yet)

Hugs,
Suz

Last edited:

Abbey

Spork Queen
Star,

First of all, I'm sorry.

Second...I'm not surprised.

When J became such a wrecking ball we gave custody of him to the state. It was the ONLY way to get services, and services he did get. Didn't help a whole lot, obviously, but it was just one more thing to try.

BUT, and this is a big but, when he turned 18 it was totally hands off. No programs, placements, nothing. Well, you know the history after that. The difference is there WERE adult programs he could have joined but he couldn't and wouldn't stand for the strict rules. Curfew? I'm 18!! No rap? I'm 18! So HE chose the path of not pursuing a way out of his situation, hence a few prison stints.

Heck, he had one agency that would put him up in a very small, modestly furnished apartment AND get him a job that paid better than what I made. Was it a luxuious job? Heck no. BUT IT'S A JOB FOR A 3 TIME CONVICTED FELON!!

It sounds like Dude wants to do right. Check out adult programs.

Also, I would contact the DA and ask for a meeting about this. He/she is a state employee and cannot deny a meeting. That was probably one of the most beneficial meetings we ever had.

Hugs, Starbie.

Abbey

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
Getting to this late (was out of town). We have been down a similiar path when difficult child 1 turned 18. Of course I raised holy heck about it. Found a little cooperation from the county adult people. The person from there became a giant advocate for the things that had not been done properly. We did get difficult child 1 to voluntarily give us guardianship so the decisions we were making and stuff we were doing on her behalf could be done.

I don't know what to tell you except that you are not alone. We are all standing with you whatever way you take this.

hugs
beth