Tell me this isn't depression... with a little hypomania thrown in for good measure.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
LOL buddy, no offense taken! No, I'm not a zookeeper by trade, but I play one at home!

Thanks, CM. I'm glad to know I'm on the right track with this.

Yes, I have asked myself the "What am I DOING here?" question before. Well, I had some very bad co-dependent habits when I met and married him. And I did reach a breaking point and forced the marriage counseling issue, and because we got a therapist with her own baggage and because husband was not yet even CLOSE to being on appropriate medications at the time, we came very close to calling it quits. Or at least, by the sound of our arguments at the time it sure seemed headed that way.

I found some courage and drew a line in the sand which infuriated him but established a boundary. I started going to a group for co-dependents and continued with my own personal therapy (the marriage counseling was a huge flop) and medication and learned better skills. I'm not perfect yet, but I've come a LONG way and am much better able to advocate for MYSELF.

Then husband's seizure issues came to the fore and once he got on those medications things started to really turn around. He is nothing like the angry, obsessive person he used to be. He is MUCH more connected to his emotions and able to articulate them better instead of everything just getting shunted into the anger bin. I no longer have to walk on eggshells and we communicate much better then before. So I guess you could say I now have HOPE. Because I now see the man who I thought I married working his way out of the mess, and I believe that with improved medication he will continue to improve and so will our relationship.

I continue to get by one day at a time. But like I said, at least now I have hope.