Text messaging at work

Sue C

Melissa announced this morning that her supervisor told everyone that they cannot text message while at work. I said, "You've been text messaging at work? You had told me personal calls were not allowed." She said yeah, but text messaging isn't calling someone. And I only do it if I'm not busy and no one is around.

She added that other people do it, too, but then said they were told this after SHE had just text messaged someone. :hammer:

I said to her, I thought no one was around when you text messaged. She replied that there is a camera pointed at the reception area (she's a receptionist at a health club) and the supervisor must have seen her. I asked her if she considered that the camera might be taping and they saw her text messaging a lot. She said why would they tape the reception area. Hmmmm....I don't know but maybe they do.

Anyway, that's my daughter for ya. Text messaging does not equal a personal phone call.

Sue

Kathy813

Staff member
Yup ~ typical difficult child thinking. But I could also see this as typical teen type of thinking. I wouldn't be surprised to hear one of my students say that if they were caught using a phone during school hours.

I just hope it doesn't get her fired.

~Kathy

Sue C

Kathy -- Melissa said her boss was good about it. She just told her not to do it anymore. However, she told me she was going to text msg Jenna from work tonight to find out if she could do anything after work. She said she thinks if it's important, then she can do it, and finding out if her friend can go out tonight is important. (sigh)

sue

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
It probably is a typical teen thing like Kathy says. Still, by ignoring her boss' warning, it sounds like Melissa continues to push the envelope and is bound and determined to learn things the hard way, Sue.

I am so glad I don't have to hear this kind of daily "junk" from Rob anymore. It has really benefited our relationship. :smile:

Just ignore it. Her problem.

Suz

meowbunny

For some odd reason most kids really don't associate text messaging with making a phone call. My neighbor's boy rang up a whopping $1,500 cell phone bill his first month (limited texting). He honestly didn't understand that each text was counted and, on top of that, his parents' company considered each call to make the texts as a phone call. Like me, his parents immediately removed texting abilities from all phones.

Wonder if her boss is going to be as understanding the next time the camera catches her texting? by the way -- Sports club reception areas are great places for thieves to take all kinds of personal property, especially cell phones and wallets. So, if a place has cameras, that is one of the main areas.

Hope Melissa gets some sense and stops texting entirely.

Sue C

Suz -- It would be nice to not deal with the daily junk anymore. I can imagine it's a great freeing feeling. I will try to ignore Melissa's problems.

meowbunny -- $,500 in text messaging charges!! Wowzers! Melissa pays $15/month for unlimited text messages. Melissa will hopefully learn she is not to text at work.

You know, I've seen teens text messaging in movies (right next to me--very annoying!) and in church. What are they thinking? I can see how they might be bored in church, but wouldn't you think they'd watch a movie they paid for?

sue

BusynMember

I think it's pretty typical teen thinking too. Maybe she'll at least go into the restroom to do the text messaging. Does she get a break? You could suggest she do it on break.

Sue C

midwest mom -- I had asked her about text messaging from the restroom, and she said she had tried that but she can't get a signal in there. So at least she was trying to do it in private at first.

No, they don't really get breaks. They don't get a lunch hour, either. They are supposed to wait 'til a time when it's not real busy and then just eat their sandwich at the counter. They cannot sit down all day. They are not allowed stools in the reception area. (I've been there and saw this is true.) But I have digressed.....