Tips and Tricks to stay healthy!

susiestar

Roll With It
We are all worried about swine flu and other bugs this time of year. Especially if we have kids in school. We all know many tricks to help avoid the flu, so maybe if we share them we could learn a few tips from each other. Or remember ones we forgot!

One of the best ways to stay healthy is to stay hydrated. Many of us do not drink enough water. My first suggestion is to buy some TrueLemon, TrueLime, or TrueOrange. They are crystallized juice and add flavor but no calories. I really love the Dasani essence in Lime, but it is expensive. Adding TrueLime to water tastes about the same. I use one packet in a 20 ounce bottle. I think it is 1/8-1/4 teaspoon of the stuff in each packet, so if you buy the shaker you could measure out that much. The water just is more appealing to me.

The other tip is just a way to increase the amount. My mom started it and shared.

Keep the small bathroom paper cups by the bathroom sink. I reuse mine by putting it upside down over my toothbrush when I am not using it (keeps germs off the toothbrush also). Every time you use the bathroom for any reason, drink 2-3 small cups of water. This makes it easier to stay hydrated.

If you are a big coffee/tea/soda drinker try alternating one mug/glass of water for each caffeinated beverage. Increases hydration and can help cut down caffeine/calorie consumption.

I also have handwashing tips. In order for the antibacterial soap, or any soap, to clean effectively you need to work it in for at least 20 seconds. This is about 1 round of a nursery rhyme. So you can sing the abc song, the Barney clean up song, old McDonald, most anything.

My last tip is for public bathrooms. I cannot do the hover maneuver due to the back problems. I get major "ICK" when using a public potty. I now carry a small spray bottle, about the size of a sharpie marker, in my purse. It came with some antibacterial hand goop, but I just fill it with regular alcohol. I squirt this onto the seat, use some paper to wipe off the seat and go about my business. It takes a second, but at least you wind up checking to make sure you have enough toilet paper!

They sell the little bottles in the checkout line at wally world, usually 2 for $2.50 here.

So what are YOUR handy health tips?