Upcoming school year

Wiped Out

Staff member
I've almost posted this 4 times but don't want to come off as complaining. I'm getting a bit apprehensive about the upcoming school year.

I will have all of the Special Education kids in the two grades I teach-that totals 8 in my class of 27. These are fairly high need kiddos.

Three are autistic. One of the autistic children has other issues and was in a separate program last year which is almost unheard of in our district. He likes and needs it really quiet (can get violent). Usually not a problem but another of the autistic children does a lot of noisy stimming.

In addition, I will be getting a student that is a lot like difficult child, at least from looking at the BIP. This student is also loud, swears, is violent, and steals (my difficult child doesn't do the stealing anymore). The same student craves one on one adult attention.

I will have a wonderful full time aide in my room and a Special Education teacher in about half of the time.

I love teaching, I love all of my students, I've been told I'm good with kids with behavioral issues. Still this seems like a lot and I want to be sure I can meet the needs of all the children in my classroom. The reason I have so many spec. ed. students in one room is, of course, due to budget cuts. I'd love to plop someone who makes these decisions into my classroom for a day or two.

There is a chance we may get an extra spec. ed. allocation and if that happens I will get either more support or some of the students will be moved to another room.

Sooo, wish me luck or send good thoughts my way as I start my school year tomorrow.

susiestar

Roll With It
WOW - that is a very heavy load. Won't hte other teachers take the sp ed kids in their classes? It seems like a really bad recipe and not nearly enough adults. I hope that I am totally wrong and you have a great year.

Good Luck!

klmno

GEEZ- don't they realize that this is not the area to cut the budget? It sounds like someone higher up needs to be aware of the situation. Either that, or some knowledgable parent is going to have an issue with it, too. That situation is not fair to anyone- you or the kids. Can you write an anonymous letter to the state board?

Andy

Budget cuts usually mean staff cuts which usually mean bigger classes which usually mean less one to one that ALL children need.

You have your hands overflowing - I bet you are making plans on how best to use the time and how to utilize your helper and Special Education teacher.

The children are lucky to have you as their teacher because you really do look for a way to meet each kids' needs.

Get those plans of actions ready and review with your aide. Who will do what if a challenge arises? Consider all locations (other classrooms, playgrounds, lunchroom, ect.)

tiredmommy

That's not a mainstream classroom, it's a blended classroom. I'm sure if anyone can keep order and maintain learning standards it will be a great warrior mom like you! :warrior:

nvts

Wiped! Please keep in mind that if this gets overwhelming OR dangerous (the kiddos with the violent outbursts) that as a member of the IEP team, you can talk to them about adding a 1 to 1 para (IDEA). This would be to protect the kids AND you AND the outbursting child.

I'll keep you in my prayers (I actually say an extra for ALL teachers, but especially those who handle our kids!), that things go well!

Beth

PS: You're never coming off as a complainer - everyone is supposed to post if something is bugging them - even if it WAS a complaint! ;)

house of cards

Wow, that seems so unfair to everyone. Twenty-seven kids are alot, add the special needs and it doesn't seem workable to me. In my state/district the inclusive classrooms have a reg ed and sp ed teacher there all the time and they could get a 1 on 1 aide in there if there was a need, too. They must think very highly of you but with the conflicting needs of the kids it seems way too much to expect from 1 teacher and an aide full time. I guess I would try to explain to the parents of the kiddo that needs quiet the difficulty you have meeting that need and see if they will demand help. I'll be thinking of you.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I, for one, hope you get another aid or TWO! That's just way too much to put on your plate! Twenty-seven kids, and nearly a third are special needs?! Yikes! I hope those parents treat you VERY well during teacher appreciation week :D

KTMom91

Wow...a third of your class has special needs? And only one aide? That does seem like a very heavy load for you to balance everyone's needs and still have time (and energy) to teach. What grade levels do you have?

Sending good thoughts that you have a wonderful year, and that you're able to get what you need to help the kiddos!

F

flutterbee

Besides the load you have on your plate in your classroom, my thought was...geez, you can't get a break. At least when I went to work it was a break from difficult child drama. It was my sanity saver.

So, not only is it a lot for any one teacher to take on, you'll have difficult child stuff no matter where you go.

Sending you lots of luck and good thoughts and hoping the SD gets you some more help.

(((hugs)))

everywoman

I know the feeling, Sharon. My large HS has a disporportionate # of Special Education students.
I teach the majority of 11th grade classes, so it is not unusual to have at least 10 on an IEP or 504 at one time added in to the other 15+. So, throughout the day I have at least 30 Special Education students + another 45+ regular ed.

What gets to me, no offense to Special Education teachers, but they are only allowed to have 8 in their room during any instruction period. I don't have any aids or helpers---although last year I did have an interpreter for two deaf students. Trying to modify and adapt plans for so many is difficult.

Sharon and Everywoman,

I hope that this school year goes well for you both. I certainly hope that you can get a couple of extra aides Sharon.

It does my heart good to know that you both are out there working with our kids. It really helps to have a teacher with understanding. Just that alone means so much.

All of difficult child's teachers have been good people. However some of them have "gotten" him and some haven't. It makes a world full of difference when they understand.

I'm sending prayers and positive vibes for you both!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Wow, Sharon! They're expecting alot aren't they? Putting a kid who is big on stimming with one who demands quiet?

I hope they won't have a problem with providing extra support in the classroom if your need it.

Keeping fingers crossed and sending good juju your way all runs smoothly.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Susie-Others are willing to take them but they don't like to spread out the Special Education teachers over too many environments so I guess it's o.k. to put a whole bunch in one room because it is almost always the classroom teacher in our district who gets last consideration.

Klmno-No one to write to. They know the problem but with the budget shortfall needs just aren't always met.

Adrianne-We're trying to work all that out-luckily the spec. ed teacher deals with recess, lunch and specials as far as finding support.

TM-Blended is right!

Beth-It seems like we should be able to request a 1:1 (we have a few who need it) but our district refuses to do that in almost all cases at the elementary level.

House-Thanks for the support. I like how things work in your state!

GVCmom-After today I wish I could get at least 2 more aides!

Mary-I teach 4/5th grades. It is really a very heavy load this year.

Beth-Thanks for the good thoughts!

Heather-Yeah-I'm a bit concerned too, with dealing with it at school and home. One or two is o.k. but this is more than that. I had told my principal last year I was hoping not to have any violent kiddos (she is gone this year) and now I have two with that potential.

Everywoman-Wow-30 in a day is a lot! Modifying and adapting is hard with so many.

1 Day-Thanks for the nice comments and positive vibes.

Lisa-I don't think finding extra support is going to be easy. I'm suppose to have at least 3 adults in my room at all times-that was the original plan- but there are already several blocks of time with only 2.

K-Thanks for asking how the day went.

It was a long first day. It was probably the hardest first day I've probably ever had (and I've had difficult groups before). The morning went fairly well-it is a very chatty group. The afternoon although shortened for the first day brought out just how much support this group needs. I won't go into detail-I'm so exhausted I can barely keep my eyes open. Of course, The fact that it hit in the 90s today didn't really help as we have no ac in the building. I really like the kids in my class, just wish there was more support-it is needed. I think I may possibly have a 9th child with an iep-from another sd and we haven't received transcripts yet.

We usually have to wait til three weeks of the year have passed to see if they will provide additional help-I hope something can be done sooner!

M

ML

I am praying that you get the resources you need and a little extra help from "above" ML

Wiped Out

Staff member
Thanks for asking.
The second day, unfortunately, was not the best. One of the students (a non Special Education one) had gotten in a shoving match with two other of my kids before school started and decided to hide in the locker! There were other issues off and on with a variety of the kids, overall, more than you would expect from the second day, mostly the Special Education kiddos and the one who isn't but is dealing with a lot in his life. I'm trying to stay positive though. I think things will get better once they get use to the routine!

Abbey

Spork Queen
Sharon, as sad is it to say, you do the best as you can do. When you are thrown things like this...you just do. Everything might not get done, every kid might not get dealt with, but you survive and hopefully the students will take tid bits with them. been there done that many times.

I don't envy your position, but respect what you do on a high plane daily.

Abbey