We went to a xmas party and easy child.......

eekysign

Hey....just came from posting in your boarding school thread, read through this one.

I guess all I can offer is this: I know it seems like the end of the world, but you are absolutely seeing average teen behavior, from what you've told us. She's betrayed your trust, and deserves consequences from that, and definitely a trip to the doctor's office to get her started with the GYN processes she'll have for the rest of her life.

But honestly? I don't know a single friend that DIDN'T do something very similar when we were that age-ish. I waited a year or two more (16-17), but kids are more advanced these days---I'm not saying that makes it right, but I am TOTALLY unsurprised. :) I had boys over when my parents weren't home, etc. Did you guys all seriously not do this at 15, 16, 17 years old? At least she's got a boyfriend that says he loves her---worst case scenario would be her just acting out for "fun". THIS is better, believe me!

I'm really not defending her. But she's a 15 y/o with raging hormones, who's "in love" with her boyfriend. You've done everything right---you sat her down and talked about consequences of sex, expressed disappointment, etc. But to consider boarding school for your easy child for this? I dunno, hon. This is WAY normal for all the girls I grew up with. All of our parents handled this by explaining how we'd betrayed their trust, grounded us/restricted privileges, took us to the GYN, and made it clear that we weren't to do it again. AND encouraged us to come to them and discuss things. And, usually, we still hid things from our parents, but at least we were THINKING first before acting. It's just normal sexual development, in my humble opinion.

She's gonna be on her own in three years, you gotta set her up now to understand sex is something you think about, just because someone says he loves you doesn't necessarily mean it'll last, and that lying to your parents about it is unnecessary, 'cause they'll understand. You have to learn to understand that what she's up to isn't "disgusting" or something that should make you "want to vomit". Kids can sense that kind of thing, and it shuts them down even more, ie, "Oh god, I want to do it, but it obviously disgusts Mom, so I won't tell her, then she'll still love me and not think I'm disgusting." Teens don't want to talk to their parents about icky subjects like this anyway, and you have to expect that they are going to lie to you. Unless they truly believe you won't yell or judge, they are NOT going to tell you what's going on. They just aren't.

You can tell her all the risks til you're blue in the face....she still wants to go through with it. But use this as a learning experience for her, and talk to her again, without yelling or judging. Just a disappointed Mom, who wants her girl to be safe. Sending her away would be overkill, I think. You'll give her complexes about sex----AND about telling you ANYthing that's going on in her life. Almost all 15 y/os want to have sex. Period. As adults, our job is to make 'em hold off a bit, and be safe, but understand that they DO WANT TO HAVE SEX. Hehehe. ;)

Last edited:

janebrain

Hi Jennifer,
WFEN I think has nailed it. While reading your post I thought, "oh, she sounds like me back when I was 16 (just a little older). I was very sneaky and lied to my parents about where I was, what I was doing, etc. It wasn't anything personal, I just wanted to do what I wanted to do and I didn't want to get caught. Also, I didn't want to cause my parents any trouble, I figured what they didn't know couldn't hurt them. I think I was a pretty normal teen girl. I was a good student, had my own internal boundaries I wouldn't cross, etc.

This truly is not about you--and teens are notorious for it being all about them. She is not considering how you feel because it is all about her and what she wants to do. This is not to say you just give up but I think it doesn't mean the end of a relationship with her--she will be testing the limits and trying to become independent for several years now. When you get to the other side she will still be the same girl you knew as a baby.

I'm sorry your night ended so badly but glad you did have a good night out with boyfriend. Sounds like he is a gem!

Jane

tinamarie1

Jennifer, I can totally relate to what you are going through. I just posted today about my 15 yr old daughter who thought she was pregnant a few weeks ago. I feel like my heart will just burst if i have to deal with anymore out of her. How do we get through this? My daughter and I just started counseling, but i had to drag her kicking and screaming and I feel like she is going to start lieing to the counselor in just a matter of time. I remember the days when I used to say that I wanted my kids at home forever, never to move away/out. But lately, it seems I am looking forward to the day they have their own life and are old enough to be on their own. And that makes me sad.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I don't know... I may be of a different mind set. But kids have sex. Instead of getting mad at her about the sex.
I would be mad at her about violating the rules...

But the sex, I would be honest and talk about being truthful and wanting it to be special. Kids are going to have sex. If you are honest make it easy to talk to you and boyfriend she might actually talk to you and be honest and up front about it.
Tell you when she is ready.
She might do it safely and not get pregnant or get a disease.
Yes it would be wonderful for kids to wait... Most do not.
If you are religious it would be nice for her to wait until she is Married.
Being angry and closing her off, is only going to push her away.
My adopted dad was mean about it and would not talk with me.
I was having sex at 13... I was pregnant at 13...
My Bio-Dad was easy to talk to about sex. He got me on BC, he talked to my boyfriends... no they could not sleep over. Sure we snuck around, but it was not a priority.
Not until my Mental Illness got worse. That was in my 20's...
It wasn't perfect but it was better.
Just a different perspective. But then again I lived in SFO... land of the open mind and free sex... heck we had a bear skin rug in front of the fire place!!! LOL
Chick-a-bow-wow
sorry you are going through this, it is a tough decision I am sure no matter how prepared you think you are.