What a pleasant surprise

Wiped Out

Staff member
I offered to take difficult child shopping for his 5th grade graduation which is tomorrow. First shock is he said yes instead of insisting it be husband that go with him.

Second shock-I had suggested dress shorts and a polo top. He was adamant that he would not wear shorts and definitely not a polo shirt. I casually mentioned that husband had said the phy. ed. teacher's son was going to be wearing shorts and a polo. Once he was in the store he started looking at shorts and polo shirts which is what he ended up choosing.

Third shock-The few times I do take him shopping he usually begs for more and more. He didn't do that tonight just got with me in line with no complaints or begging me for more.

The only bad shock was the size of clothes he had to wear. I've mentioned before difficult child has gained about 35 pounds in the past year. Last summer he was in a size 10 pants and a 10/12 shirt. Today I bought him a size 16 shorts and a size 18/20 shirt. The poor guy is only 55 inches tall. husband and I have decided starting Monday (now that school is out) there will only be healthy eating choices-he is none too happy but he can't keep eating like he is.

It was so nice to have a nice shopping trip with difficult child. We were in and out of there in about 1/2 hour:)

TerryJ2

Cool.

Can you bring home trail mix and fruit instead of chips? I'm guessing your difficult child is a typical kid, into chips and burgers. I've found that lecturing is a very bad thing, so I just leave the good food out, and when everyone gets hungry enough, they start snacking on whatever is closest. :)

I try to avoid all of that mall arguing for "more" because my difficult child will want everything on the shelves. I do a lot of mail ordering.

My difficult child grew 4" and gained 20#s this yr. He's 5'1" and all legs. He even grew out of his baseball pants this season!

Andy

What a wonderful shopping trip with difficult child.

I am getting to the point where I can hardly take difficult child shopping - he is getting worse, not better in the hands on and "I want" departments.

Perhaps he is learning that with cooperation, those trips go faster.

:shopping:

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Wow. What a great moment :D I'm jealous! Cuz my difficult child 2 does that wanting-more-and-more stunt every time he's out with me, so I completely get it. He may have 10 pairs of shorts in his drawer but he just HAS to have another pair! He may have 4 pairs of shoes, but THIS pair is the perfect one for him... and God help me if I say no cuz the end of the world is coming...

Christy

A sucessful shopping trip is always reason to celebrate! Glad you were able to spend some positive quality time together.
:)Christy

Wiped Out

Staff member
Thanks Everyone!

It sure was a pleasant surprise and one I'll remember. The graduation today was very nice-we opted not to take him to the night program. Both husband and I think it's too excessive for 5th graders-they were catering in a meal and having a program and it would have gone till 8:00. Good thing we didn't go as the weather was horrible-tornado warnings and flash flooding-yuck!