wm came to visit yesterday....

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
and it was truly a wonderful visit.

First I asked him & B to take Sally for a walk. By the time they got back I had ice cream dishes & the Scrabble board out.

wm, at first complained, but I explained I needed help with my speech therapy & Scrabble if very therapeutic for me (it's true). By the time he finished his first pop & half his ice cream I think I had him hooked.

He was keeping up with B & I. Asked if he could come & play again. We've never, in all this time, been able to keep wm sitting long enough to play a game of this nature. Not even junior scrabble.

His visit was a delight; you could see his brain working out words but during that time his conversation was pleasant & he was using some pretty decent manners for wm.

Just had to share this with you. A visit that wasn't physically & emotionally draining - just plain fun.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Linda,
What a great visit! It's so nice to have a day where everything goes well and our difficult children are pleasant! by the way, I love playing Scrabble but have no one to play with here-so when I finally do get myself up to the Cities we'll have to play a game!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Wow, how great is THAT? :D I hope he asks to do it again the next time he visits. These little moments are truly building blocks in their growth, aren't they?

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
What a great thing to read!
How nice that you got to have some therapy out of the visit as well. ;)
I hope this visit had as much impact on him as well.

This is wonderful news Linda. Sounds like some maturation is happening here!

I'm an absolute Scrabble fiend myself. No one here will play me, so I play online at Lexulous.com.

It's a 20 to 20 minute break that I give myself EVERY day :)

Valerie

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Thank you all! It was an iffy choice of mine getting out the Scrabble but it worked. Especially since it was rainy & drizzly all yesterday afternoon.

I look forward to more visits - depending on how it can be worked around kt's visits home. So far so good but the closer she comes to discharge the more difficult it will become.

susiestar

Roll With It
How wonderful! Not only does it show growth in Wm, it shows he cares about YOU. He started the game so that he could HELP YOU. That in itself is HUGE!!! Then him enjoying the game and his brain kicking into gear is also helpful.

Not sure if this would be as fun for you, but have you tried Upwards? My family ADORES it. I cannot get anyone to play scrabble. It is always Upwards.

Might be a Christmas present IF it isn't too competitive.

Hugs, and so THRILLED for you,

Susie